Thread: Nipping

Nipping

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, and looking forward to exchanging stories and suggestions with all of you.
    We have a 3 month old german shepherd pup, and she's perfect in every way. She's crate trained, potty trained (she barks or scratches to be let out), she knows a couple of commands without going to obedience school yet...BUT! She nips. Nips at your hands when you go to pet her or scratch her, nips at your pantlegs, nips at your feet in your sandals, etc. This is the only bad behaviour she exhibits. We have tried saying "NO!" in a stern voice, but that only gets her wound up. We have a pop can with pennies in it that we shake, and we say "NO!" whenever we do that, also saying NO BITES!, even the vet suggested putting our hand down her throat to give her a bad experience whenever she nips. (this, however, can be painful to us as her razor sharp teeth get in the way). We've even grabbed her by the scruff of the neck, nothing is working. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as that is her ONLY bad habit! I just don't want her doing that with anyone coming to the house, especially children. Thanks!

Red face Dog Behaviour

Hi im Michelle, I heard your dog nips heres my help first of all never grab them by the throat that makes them worse they think you want to fight them so they nip for defence. As my mum is a vet she knows all about this heres some more help. When she bites get up and walk away and fold your arms and turn you back to your her when she calms down go back to her and give her some love and clap her just give her attention if your dog nibbles you again do the same just walk away. If this does not work email me back and i will give you another soultion hope this works love Michelle x
    Last edited by michelle reid; 10-12-2004 at 12:44 PM.
    Michelle reid

Nipping

So far from what I have learnt from a website I go to, is never like Michelle said.. dont physically correct your German Shepherd. Treats work very well. I have a two year old black shepherd. We purchased her at a Rescue program. She isnt to fond of strangers and we take treats with us when we walk her to keep her mind off people walking by. Even a toy will work fine too. So when your puppy goes to nip at you, get her toy and take her mind off nipping you. I go to an awesome site:
    http://www.torontogsdrescue.org/
    They speacialize in German Shepherds and I am getting some really good support there.
    Give your pup some treats when she has stopped nipping you and praise her.

Sandi

Hello I have a 3 month old black lab chow mix. And he DID ThE EXACT SAME ThING!!! What we did was kind of like what michelle said. Every time he nipped at us, we ignored him, then went back and cuddled with him and said "good boy" in a friendly voice. He soon learned that when he nips, he gets ignored, and when he is good, he gets praised. He hasn't done it since. By the way, welcome to Pet Talk! I would love to see pictures of your dog. I am always in Dog General and lots of people post their dog's pictures there...so if you have any, you should post them

Welcome!!!

I have to agree with the ignoring when nipping thing. That works well!

So... you tell us that you have a 3 month old GSD .... and don't post any pictures?!!? WHAT are you thinking?!

Both of my German Shepherd's were rescues and one I still have a little bit of a nipping problem with, but it's only when we are outside playing and she gets too wound up. So we stop playing and go in the house when she does it!

I look forward to seeing pictures SOON!!
    You too SandraD!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

hello

Hello Sandra D i read your email and you say my soultion does not work but it work for jamee it might not work for you but it works for some people. If your dog is young it can be still teething so please dont say that on the internet sometimes it works sometimes it does not love michelle xxx
    Michelle reid

I would try a spray bottle with water(don't let him see you with the bottle and don't spray him in the face). It worked for me for a while. They will grow out of it. Just redirect them to a chew toy when they start nipping. Don't let anybody play rough with him either this will only encourage his behavior. I can tell you it doesn't get any easier. I have a 10month old GSD and he's insane. I have him on NILF. He has to obey a command anytime he gets a treat. Don't get me wrong I love him to death and will never give him up, but it has been a really difficult breed to deal with. Here is a link to an all GSD board
    http://www.germanshepherds.com/ubbth...ubbthreads.php
    Good Luck!

NIpping

Hi Michelle,
    Gee, I read my message and no where in the message do I find that I wrote that your solution to nipping doesnt work. I wrote my solution, but I did not write that yours did not work.

I would like to ask a question if I may.....

It seems like a few of you posting in this thread are all newcomers as well as German Shepherd Owners...

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!!!!!!!!

I hope you all are lurking, and will see this!

Please visit Dog General and post PICTURES of those GSD's you all are talking about that you have!!!
    I can't wait to see them!!

There are very few active members that have GSD's!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy

Re: Nipping

Originally posted by SandraD
    never like Michelle said.. dont physically correct your German Shepherd.

Michelle - SandraD was agreeing with you about never physically correcting your German Shepherd.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy

Originally posted by pitc9
    I would like to ask a question if I may.....

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!!!!!!!!

I hope you all are lurking, and will see this!

Please visit Dog General and post PICTURES of those GSD's you all are talking about that you have!!!
    I can't wait to see them!!

DITTO

HI there and welcome to PT. I had posted a similar thread awhile back about gracie and wanting to chew on our hands every time we held her. I broke her from it in about 3 days, believe it or not! The saying "no bite" worked perfectly and gently holding her mouth closed for about 2 seconds..Now she just acts like she is going to but never does. We ask everyone else to do the same as we do when they want to play with her and it just hasn't been a problem any more. It took consistency...but it was worth it. Those tiny razor sharp teeth can draw blood!! lol

Hi there,
    When Senorita was a puppy she was a BIG nipper!
    I hated it , but we kept on telling her no, then finally we would just ignore her and she would learn if she wanted to get close she had to stop nipping , 2 yrs later she is mostly fine, once in a while she will start up, but same thing we have to ignore her then she will stop, either that or my Rott will put her in her place, thats usually does the trick ASAP. But, her nipping isnt a mean thing its more playful but still annoying and bothersome.

I have also heard that if the dog nips at you, you let go a high pitch yelp, and it scares the dog. Ignoring the dog is a good option too. I have also heard that distracting with a toy works as well. Give the dog something to chew. My toller went through this stage as well. I think I lost it with him at one stage and screamed in his ear. He does not nip anymore.

http://www.dogtrick.741.com