Thread: Muscle Soreness

Muscle Soreness

Hi,

I have a question. When my dog goes pheasant hunting she runs ALL day, from about 6 in the morning to about 7 at night, she seems really sore when she comes back, like her muscles are sore, and she seems uncomfortable, and she cries. I have heard that people give their dogs Advil sometimes, but I don't want to give her anything that would be bad for her. So do any of you know what I should do? Thanks!

*bump* I just thought I would bump it back up, cause I would like to know cause Heidi will be coming home tonight and she will be all sore, and I don't want her to be in any pain.

I suggest you might give your vet a call and see about some pain relief...

I found this article which seems to reccomend Tylenol over aspirin or advil.

4. Never give your dog ANY medications unless under the directions of veterinarian. Many medications that are used safely in humans can be deadly when used inappropriately. One extra strength acetominophen tablet (500mg) can cause severe liver damage to a 10lbs dog. One half of a regular strength naproxen (200mg) could cause stomach ulcers in the same size dog.

-Taken from the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

And read this as well:
    http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/....pdf?docID=132

You should call your vet instead of self-medicating. The pain she's experiencing could be a symptom of something that needs treatment. IMO, her crying and being in pain from doing something she was bred to do, requires a vet visit.

4. Never give your dog ANY medications unless under the directions of veterinarian. Many medications that are used safely in humans can be deadly when used inappropriately. One extra strength acetominophen tablet (500mg) can cause severe liver damage to a 10lbs dog. One half of a regular strength naproxen (200mg) could cause stomach ulcers in the same size dog.

You should call your vet instead of self-medicating. The pain she's experiencing could be a symptom of something that needs treatment. IMO, her crying and being in pain from doing something she was bred to do, requires a vet visit.
    Thank you for that information! I won't self medicate.

I know that she is physically healthy and in shape. When a person has been doing strenuous exercise for a long period of time, sometimes their muscles get sore. Wouldn't it be the same with a dog? She runs CONSTANTLY for hours, through 6ft high cat tails.

Do you have any ideas on how to make her more comfortable then?

Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
    Thank you for that information! I won't self medicate.

I know that she is physically healthy and in shape. When a person has been doing strenuous exercise for a long period of time, sometimes their muscles get sore. Wouldn't it be the same with a dog? She runs CONSTANTLY for hours, through 6ft high cat tails.

Do you have any ideas on how to make her more comfortable then?
    Do you mean to say that your dog runs (top speed) for 12-13
    hours a day? If she is allowed to hunt till exhaustion. you are doing her a disservice. No wonder she's acts sore when she stops.

I'd check with a vet who is familiar with Heidi's particular health
    concerns & do what they reccomend. I'd also (this is just me)
    would call her to me for breaks once in a while.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh no! I don't let her run top speed for hours on end. I do call her to me, and make her take breaks. I give her plenty of water too, and make her lay down in the shade. I didn't mean to make it sound like i make her run for hours and hours without water and breaks!

Hi

I don't know about Advil but regular aspirin can be used. This comes from my Vet. It should not be the coated aspirin!!
    I would also make a trip to the vet just in case it's not just sore muscles from being active.

Good Luck
    Deb
    Last edited by RottiMommy49; 10-10-2004 at 09:16 PM.

RB Max got like that sometimes after I took him swimming for several long hard hours.

I would put him in the tub & fill it with warm water. It seemed to relax his muscles. Sometimes he didn't like the tub filling up with water & would fight me, making everything worse. SO I got him to lay in the tub & turn the showerhead on jet with warm water & moved the jet all over his body & he seemed to enjoy that more then anything.

She doesn't need pain pills. Its no good & could harm her anyways. She just needs her muscles relaxed... so go try the shower jet thing & see how she feels... if u can get her to lay down in the tub, she'll enjoy it more. Just make sure her head stays dry or she might get upset & try to run out of the tub thinking shes gonna drown.

& after the tub, dry her off & MAKE sure she goes to bed ASAP & isn't running or walking around. & also keep her quiet the day after if she seems to be stiff in the morning. Giving her all this time to relax will help her muscles te fix themselves & grow stronger so next time wont be as bad.

Thank you so for the information. I feel so bad cause I think some people got the impression that I run Heidi for hours and hours without letting her rest, and I don't do that at all! And cause I didn't know all that info about how she doesn't need pain pills and they are bad for them, etc. So thanks for the info about the bath thing. I will have to try that! thanks!

No Problem

I didn't even assum u ran her none stop all day, it didn't even cross my mind.

I've taken RB Max for ALL day swimms & when ever he seemed tired or his back was under the water, I stopped & both of us would sit or lay ontop of a picknic table until he was somewhat dry & wanted to go back in, which was usually an hhour later.

Yes, today she got back from hunting and shes tired but she had fun. She had two hour rests and everything and constant water, so shes sleeping on the couch. My bad!

Try using the jets on her to see if she even likes it. Some dogs might be scared of it, so u might want to get her use to it first.