Thread: Cat Learning New Sounds??

Cat Learning New Sounds??

I wonder if my cat at 2-1/2 (the vet says) years old was always a stray or not. She is so sweet! I got her at Animal Control. I got her playing yesterday - she had her surgery to get fixed on Monday and that was when I first picked her up. BUT I noticed she will be all relaxed and kind of asleep but she will jerk up when the air conditioner kicks on - like it is a new sound for her. She got a little antzy over the garbage disposal sound too. Do you think this means she was always a stray? I can tell she is antzy around me. She loves to follow me and get under my feet when I'm walking so I'm real careful and she loves to curl up with me - her choosing. BUT if I move suddenly to get the remote or take a drink she jerks. I'm a little antzy around her too waiting for her to bite and scratch me like the stray on the back deck has been doing. But maybe we will learn together. She has found the window sill above the couch already and my hubby said she had her head between the blinds looking out BUT she doesn't run to the doors or sit by them so she doesn't seem to want out - which is good since she is now an indoor kitty! She did meet us at the door last night when we came home. BUT is one of us is home she doesn't come to the door. Debbie

Juni startles from different sounds, even if she's been with us from the first second of her life. I think it is an instinct related thing. You will both learn.

Scardey cats...

My boys are complete freaks when it comes to this I got them when they were eight weeks old so they've never been strays. They've lived in the same apartment with me yet every morning when the neighbors start running water they bold out of bed like they were on fire!! Drives me crazy! We've had the same noises at the same time forever...there's the 4:30 shower, then the 5AM then the 5:30, 5:45,6,6AM and I'm usually last at 6:30 but you'd think it was the first time every day! I've incured some sizeable gashes on occasion. I try to semi-wake up before the first running water sound hits to make sure they aren't cuddled between my knees or under my arm since that's how they are most likely to draw blood I've had to do some 'splainin bout the skid marks across my arms or legs Crazy kitties
    Claudia

Claudia - I can just imagine that! Even last night she was asleep on the couch and the air conditioner kicked on and she bolted upright and looked and looked and couldn't seem to find the air conditioner! LOL haha I hope she gets used to it by next summer - it will be on non stop in Houston! I hope yours figures out the water! Debbie

The Found Cats,react to the Cat Video,as they love the sounds,of the Birds,and Insects! Maybe,as a Stray,certain sonds,remind your Cat,of things,that he heatrd,before he,got his Furr Ever Home!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

She doesn't seem to mind the TV as much last night as the first two nights. I bet she would love a more nature show - I'll have to try that. She is not curling up with us as much - she stayed in my arms for two nights - as soon as I sat on the couch she was in my arms. Now she gets up and sits down by our feet like she wants to be close but not in our laps. OH - funny thing - she getts up on my couch and then walks over to hubby's couch and curls up at his feet! Now why not get up on his couch first - such a tease!! Debbie

It may just take her awhile to get used to all the sounds but then again she may remain a jumpy and skittish kitty forever. They are all so different that it would be impossible to tell. Of my twelve it's certain that if someone knocks on the door 9 of them will take up the kitchen tiles on their way to hide!
    At least she likes to follow you around and it sounds like she is a real snuggle baby. Thats good news!