Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jada saw the whitecoat today!!!

Jada saw the whitecoat today!!!

Whew!!
    What a trip. First off, I made the appointment for this morning so my husband could be there--Jada is much more attentive to him, so I figured it would be best--but he had jury duty.
    So anyway, off we went, Jada and I to the vets office. She was great in the waiting room, just barked once at one of the assistants (which was strange, I've never seen her do that before), and then it was time to go in. She did NOT want anything to do with the exam room. At all. We got her in, with some coaxing, treats and her stuffed monkey, and she got on the scale--68 pounds--she is a skinny minny!! Nothing Dr. Richie was concerned about though. It took 3 of us to get her on the table, and she was so scared, poor baby, I could see it in her eyes.
    The ears were no fun. The only person she'll let touch them is my husband, so she was not having any of the light in her ears. She calmed down eventually, and Dr. Richie was able to take a good look inside---bad infection She flushed them out and got drops in them for her, gave her her shots, clipped her nails, and we were good.

Oh, the amount of stuff she gave me for her infections!! Dr. Richie presumes that the ear infections are being caused by allergies--most likely something in the air, not food or anything. She said rotties are prone to allergies, but they show it in different ways--some bite at their paws, some dig down by their tails, some get ear infections. Here's what we have now:
    A bottle of medicated ear flush to use daily
    A bottle of Baytril Otic drops for the ears, twice daily for 4 weeks
    Prednisone 5mg daily for a week, then every other day
    Benadryl 50 mg 3 times a day
    Bactoderm ointment for her belly (she has some little pimples that are also allergy related)
    and a vitamin called NutriVed OFA--its basically Omega Fatty Acids and amino acids--twice daily

Lucky for me, she takes the pills like a champ--only the benadryl has to go in some peanut butter. And she'll let my husband do her ears, so we're good there too.

It was a costly visit, but hopefully her infection and allergic reaction should go away.

Other than that, she's in great health
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Happy to hear you got along okay,,, though stressed at the vets... hopefully Jada will feel betterwith her ears.....

youre a good mommy..... you go girl! Keep us posted on Jada....

Re: Jada saw the whitecoat today!!!

Originally posted by lovemyshiba

Bactoderm ointment for her belly (she has some little pimples that are also allergy related)
    )
    Hope all the meds work!! Cincy also gets pimples from allergies on her belly! Let me know how the ointment works!! We need something!! ( although hers have gotten better since she started her allergies shots, but they have not gone away!)

I'm happy to hear that, other than her allergies, Jada is a healthy girl. I hope her ears heal quickly!
    Oreo and Molly

What a brave girl you were Jada! My Star's a real weenie when it comes to visiting the vet too...especially when it comes to THE EARS!!! I hope your ear infections and allergies respond well to treatment, Jada! Feel better soon beautiful girl!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Be a good girl, Jada and take all of your meds and drops. Gotta make sure you stay healthy girl!

Hugs for you sweet, Jada!

Robin

Re: Re: Jada saw the whitecoat today!!!

Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
    Hope all the meds work!! Cincy also gets pimples from allergies on her belly! Let me know how the ointment works!! We need something!! ( although hers have gotten better since she started her allergies shots, but they have not gone away!)
    Strangely enough, even though it's only been one day and 3 applications of the ointment, the pimples/rash seem to have gone away. But it could also be the combination of the 100 other things she's taking right now too.
    I've got everything down to a system---she eats pills as if they're treats, so that's no problem--the Benadryl does need to have some peanut butter or cream cheese on it though, since it's a capsule.
    Yesterday when I left for work I had to leave a note with instructions for my husband on what to give her and when!!

Jada what a svelte Rottie you are - 68 lbs. WOW! Emily what a list of medicines to remember to administer each day. When mine have been on medications I have to make myself a little chart so that I remember what I gave and when. Bella hopes Jada's ear will feel better soon. She has had ear troubles too and they are no fun.

Oh Goodness Jada! That's alot of meds and other stuff
    I'm glad to hear the little pimples are going away and I hope
    soon that your ears are doing good too

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

That is alot of stuff!

Im glad everything else is good, though Give her a hug for me!

Also I didn't know rotties were also prone to alergies, I hope my future rottie doesn't have them--I think I've had enough of alergies

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Wow that's a long list of meds from the vet!!

Glad to hear she took (most of) the vet visit like a champ!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Hope you feel better soon, Jada, sweetie!!! Take all your meds like a good girl!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Originally posted by DogLover9501
    Also I didn't know rotties were also prone to alergies, I hope my future rottie doesn't have them--I think I've had enough of alergies
    If the dog comes from a really good line then he/she probably won't have allergies. My dad has had Rotties his entire life and the only one who had allergies was RB Bonky, all she had was an allergy to food with chicken products in it though. I'm sure probably you won't have any problems with your future Rottie

anyway, back to topic: I hope Jada is feeling better soon. Good thing she isn't too bad about taking her pills, sounds like she has ALOT. Hopefully she'll be back to normal in a few days

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Originally posted by DogLover9501
    That is alot of stuff!

Im glad everything else is good, though Give her a hug for me!

I didn't know that either, and being that I have no idea where she came from before she came to stay with us, I know nothing of her breeding stock and whatnot. I know you will research and get a great rottie, hopefully one who is not as prone to allergies. But if you do, at least you know what to do!!!

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone!! It's not anything major, but I just felt really really bad that she has to take so much medicine--I feel like it's my fault, and that I should have noticed something sooner.

Emily,

NO WAY is it your fault!!! You know, in all honesty, Jada would probably have been on that much medication if you had noticed 2 weeks before anyway!!!

Good Girl Jada - taking all your medicine!!! (kiss kiss)
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."