Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't you have dogs and kids????

Why can't you have dogs and kids????

I saw this on our town's website tonight, in the classifieds--read the 4th ad down:

http://www.statecollege.com/classifi...e.phtml?cat=14

I wonder if they're getting rid of the first baby too???

Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I do not understand that at all !!! They say such nice things about the dog in the ad, so why not just keep him??? Some people..... .....

Yeah! If he is so great with kids, why can't they keep it?

I just met a woman at the dog pound who has been trying to get a dog for a while. She had a 7 year old son and a 6 m/o baby. She was saying that she kept getting turned down because she has small children. That kind of goes along the same lines...why can't you have a dog if you have kids? As long as you are a responsible owner, I don't think children should be the reason that you are turned down.

Thank you Wolfie!

people are so stupid!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

The first transport I ever did was for a golden retriver being rehomed because a baby was coming. The girl giving the dog up was obviuosly upset about it, and wanted so bad to talk her into keeping it and trying it. But, I bit my tongue and drove the dog to the next stop....

I'm going to send her an email and "enlighten" her a bit. What a stupid woman.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

How heartless can a person be???
    What a witch!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I have to tell you when Christy said she was pregnant, I really didn't think she would be able to handle being pregnant, having the baby, and being alone with the baby while Brian was in Iraq with her 3 dogs. But as you can see by these pictures, it has all worked out. And I couldn't be prouder of Christy for make it so.

Jasmine with Great Dane Dakota:

Jasmine with Dalmation, Destiny

With Lab mix Sierra

Although I do have to admit as a young mother, I did not do so well. When Amy was 2 and Rob was a newborn, I got sick from what later I found out was my gallbladder. Carl was working 8 hour days in a town 30 miles to our south and going to school 30 miles to the north in the evenings. I became overwhelmed with it all and ended up giving away our two dogs. I wish I would have had the strength Christy has but that is hind sight and we all know how that works out!

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

She says this dog is great with kids of all ages so excuse me but WTF!

I have such a hard time reading where dogs are advertised as if they were an object. The part where she's listing what the dog comes with sounds like someone advertising their boat that comes with a trailer and lifejackets, "comes with accessories!" And lists the dog as "for sale." I know not everyone views pets the way we do here but it is still shocking to me when I see them spoken about as if they were a piece of furniture.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Most child experts agree that children should be raised with pets to teach them responsibility, etc. Having kids is no excuse to get rid of a pet. I feel sorry for the doggie.

That is just crazy! Unfortunely I see alot of ads like that around here. People think just because you are pregnant you can't have a dog.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

Try not to be too judgmental

Although I understand everyone feeling outraged, I don't think we need to be too quick to judge. Perhaps the woman is too overwhelmed with all the responsibility, perhaps she is thinking more of the dog than herself and has realized that the household with a toddler and an infant is not what is best for the dog. Perhaps it is financial and with the child coming, she cannot afford to keep the dog in the right environment, perhaps she has been forced to rehome the dog at her husbands insistence, perhaps she is having a difficult pregnancy and isn't physically able to take proper care of the dog.

There are a few things in the ad that make me think that this woman has good intentions. She is only asking for $175 with all the items. The items alone are worth about $100, she is specifically looking for someone that will take the dog as a pet. Is she trying to rehome the dog inappropriately? - probably. Are her intentions good? - kind of sounds like it to me.

Many people have to rehome their dogs for a variety of reasons. Many times it is best for the dog. Personally, I am going to contact her and offer my support and suggestions. Contacting Corgi rescue, suggestions on finding the right home (home visit, spaying the dog, etc.) rather than condemning her out of hand.

JMHO

Re: Try not to be too judgmental

Originally posted by clara4457
    Although I understand everyone feeling outraged, I don't think we need to be too quick to judge. Perhaps the woman is too overwhelmed with all the responsibility, perhaps she is thinking more of the dog than herself and has realized that the household with a toddler and an infant is not what is best for the dog. Perhaps it is financial and with the child coming, she cannot afford to keep the dog in the right environment, perhaps she has been forced to rehome the dog at her husbands insistence, perhaps she is having a difficult pregnancy and isn't physically able to take proper care of the dog.

There are a few things in the ad that make me think that this woman has good intentions. She is only asking for $175 with all the items. The items alone are worth about $100, she is specifically looking for someone that will take the dog as a pet. Is she trying to rehome the dog inappropriately? - probably. Are her intentions good? - kind of sounds like it to me.

Many people have to rehome their dogs for a variety of reasons. Many times it is best for the dog. Personally, I am going to contact her and offer my support and suggestions. Contacting Corgi rescue, suggestions on finding the right home (home visit, spaying the dog, etc.) rather than condemning her out of hand.

JMHO
    You have a very good point there. Thank you for that perspective.

Although it always upsets me to see a dog rehomed, I would never guilt the person into keeping the dog. I'd rather see a dog moved to a good loving home, then be stuck at a home where they are neglected.

Thank you Wolfie!

Which I also have to add, I know that when I first have the baby, my dogs are going to get less attention. It's a given. I won't physically be able to walk them for a few weeks. I am going to be to tired to play with them much for a bit. That makes me feel guilty, but since I've had a child before, I know it's temporary. I can imagine that it may be a scary and overwhelming thought for a first time mother.

Thank you Wolfie!