This evening once I was home from the local store (15 mins away) I heard the most gawd awful cries and scream from my truck's engine compartment. I quickly lifted the hood and went into a frantic search! This ear piercing crying was breaking my heart and there was nothing I could find! I raced into the house for the cordless to see how soon my husband would be home and thankfully he was down the hill. But the cries has suddenly stopped! I wasn't gone more then 1.5 minutes and my heart and dropped into the pitt of my stomach, had I killed an innocent cat?? I moved over to the side of our barn and slid down almost in tears when suddenly this tiny orange and tan kitten ran up to me and started purring! Her tongue was sticking out like she was dehydrated and starving to death, but nothing else was wrong, no broken bones or blood anywhere! I was estatic I haddn't killed it, but the problems had just begun. I have Bassets and they aren't too happy with cats. And my husband isn't a cat person since the time he had to put the kitten I gave him down at 6mons old for kidney cancer. I ran next door to see if it was my neighbour's kitten because her cat just had kittens, nope not hers. But she did give me some food to help this kitten out through the night. But the same comment kept coming from my husband, 'THIS KITTEN WILL NOT COME INTO THE HOUSE!!!' we have the 2 Bassets and 4 Rats already plus fishies.

My main question is, any ideas what to do with her? Nothing is broken, but she seems to have decided that her new house is the left side of my barn. Granted I shouldn't have fed her but I'm an animal lover and had to! I'm not a cat person either, but around here the shelter I did find usually put strays/wild cats down. She's a bit too wild to be an indoor cat, but seems perfect for a outdoor cat. I'm renting atm, so I might be able to see if my landlord's son can take her when I move, he has a HUGE farm and lots of younge children who I know will play with her. But I know I'll still miss her. Any ideas? Do I take the chance in trying to raise her to just give her away now? I haven't had a cat/kitten in over 9 years. (or at least any that I wanted to keep for my own) I did give her a cage from my Basets that they have out grown, it's a Vari-Kennel, so she's enclosed with a soft flannel shirt so she can snuggle up inside of it. Dinner was dry food, water and some beef cube tips. (i felt bad for almost killin her, ok) And then when I went out to shut the porch door she had found her way up to the house and was sitting on the small porch. So of course I put a small box with a old satin pillow case and regular pillow case in it and gave her some tuna too, just in case she was hungry again.

And yes I spoil my rats this way and my Bassets, just look at my web page and you be the judge http://users.supernet.com/daytona/

Kaleigh-Gray

------------------
Please Help Me To Be Half The Human My Kritters Think I Am!

[This message has been edited by Kaleigh-Gray & Kritters (edited July 09, 2000).]