Thread: Stray cat as a pet

Stray cat as a pet

I live in an apt building that has several stray cats hanging around. I & others have been feeding them.
    They look healthy and a young male cat will let me pick him up. After a while he will even start to purr.
    He is white and brown tabby in color....a real nice looking kitty cat!

I live in an apt so he will have to stay inside. He will need to be nurtured and I hope he will not start
    spraying while inside.

Will being kept inside be a problem, considering he has lived outside?

What are the disadvantages of adopting a cat like this?

I know there is no shortage of kittens and adult cats to be adopted. Should I go to the local shelter or
    Human Society for a cat?

If you get him neutered, he is less likely to spray in the apartment. Keep him busy, and occupied, and he may be perfectly happy!
    I've Been Frosted

My first cat ever, Mr. Amber Cat, was like this. I was living in an apartment, fed him, got to pick him up, and finally just brought him in.

When you bring him in, be sure you have a sweatshirt on, and use a blanket. Be prepared for him to freak out being inside. If he has been a pet in the past, he will calm down in less than 10 minutes. Otherwise you may need to keep him in a kennel for a time to let him acclimate. Amber calmed down in that 10 minutes time frame. As soon as you can, get him in to a vet for an evaluation; have him tested for FIV and FeLV, and arranged for neutering.

Mr. Amber Cat learned to walk on a harness and leash. This was our compromise; because he wanted to go out and I insisted he be an indoor only kitty. So after about 6 months, and a week or so of getting him used to the harness, we went out and walked around the building. TWICE. And that was it, we had a routine. Heat, Cold, rain, snow, ice, he didn't care, he INSISTED on having his walk once daily. And we had to go around the building twice. Not once; not 3 times. TWICE.

He was a loving boy, snuggle with me at night in bed, and eventually he also enjoyed sitting out on the balcony (I was in a 3rd floor walk up, he never bothered to jump down. BUT only started him out there well after a year inside). As long as we walked around the building TWICE, daily. For 9.5 YEARS. Well worth it, IMO!

That's wonderful, that you will give a home to this cat.

Get him a thorough vet checkup, and get him neutered. Sandy (Freedom) has excellent instructions on how to turn him into an indoor cat.

Best wishes to you and kitty! And thanks to you this Thanksgiving Day for giving a home to a cat who truly needs one. Bless you!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I had a stray hanging around before Halloween. Since Halloween was coming I had to make a decision so I took her in. She has been fine, she has never even wanted to go outside once. I do need to take her in and get her spayed and a check up. She must have been owned she took to the litterbox right away.

I posted her on nextdoor.com and several lost pet sights and nobody claimed her. She is a sweetie but she is also very fearful so not sure how she was treated before.

She stays in her own room because she is scared of my other kitty dasher who is a neutered young male. He tries so hard to win her love but its a slow process for him.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Thank you, caseysmom, for taking this cat in. Bless you both, and your other kitty, too. (They'll work it out; it just takes time.)

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Sparkler
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery