Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy Crap!

Holy Crap!

Fancy just laid an egg!! WOW .. we saw her down at the bottom of the cage not moving so we didn't know if she was sick or laying an egg .. next thing we know, we saw her laying her egg!! No nest set up, just newspaper, and now we have a little egg at the bottom of their cage! Holy crap .. what do we do now?? I got tons of research to do .. but if anyone here has had this happen and has any advice .. please fill me in ..

Last edited by ScantyNebula; 09-25-2004 at 09:43 PM.

*blink blink* Whoa. That's um..whoa. Well er..Congrats to Fancy on the new egg!

~Danny~
    [19 y/o Crazed Human Female]

-The Dogs-
    Mac
    [6 y/o female BC/German Shepherd/Lab]
    Julie
    [9 y/o female Siberian Husky/Alaskan Malamute]
    Angel
    [7 y/o female German Shepherd/Lab]
    J.W.
    [6 y/o male BC/German Shepherd/Lab]
    R.B. Blackfoot
    [16 y/o Lab/German Shepherd]

-The Horses-
    Prissy
    [12 y/o Bay Tobiano Paint Mare]
    Miracles Happen
    [5 y/o Solid Bay Paint/Quarter Horse Mare]

First of all, congratulations on the new birds and now on the new egg!
    Logan has experience with her bird Millie laying eggs, if you do a search here in Pet General you should be able to find the threads.
    In those threads I think there are some links from Popcornbird or someone else that had helpful information on what to do.
    Sometimes the mother bird will just abandon the eggs.
    Good Luck!
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Here's the thread where Logan first discovered her eggs:

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/show...&highlight=egg

It is 4 pages long and you'll find lots of info in it.

Good luck with your little egg!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I read over that thread .. great information , thanks for posting it! Well they don't seem to mind me going near the egg so I took it out and held it up to the light, but I can't tell if its fertile .. not sure what to look for. So here's a pic ...

Fancy and Chip and both ignoring the little egg so far, and I have moved it into a container with some tissue paper in it, made a little hole for it so it won't move around. I have to buy some paper towel tomorrow ...

I've read that they sometimes they will ignore the eggs until there are at least 2 or 3 eggs laid, so that they will hatch around the same time.

Their old owners said that when she had her eggs last time she didn't sit on them for awhile and one of their other birds took over. But they said she eventually did her part and sat on them ...

I never expected this so soon .. and its kind of unfortunate cause we haven't even gotten close to bonding with Chip and Fancy yet and here they are laying eggs already! Oh my ...

WW!!!!!!!!!

I guess that explains why Fancy was giving you an attitude.

I have absolutely no experience in eggs, but Logan does. Hopefully she'll be able to help you. I know K9soul's tiel, Dawn, also lays eggs, but her's are infertile because she has no mate. Muffin has never laid an egg in all these years, so I really have no experience on this issue.

Congrats on the new *egg* though.

Oh Logan........we need your help.

OMG how cute!! Fancy has just become a responsible parent - she is sitting on her little egg!! She took the egg out of the container I had it in and has it on the newspaper and is sitting on it! Awww .. how sweet!

I agree pcb ... Logan?? Where are you??

YaY! Congrats Fancy! My friend had finchs and they layed eggs and I think there where like 8 babies? lol! Good luck!
    btw, I have a cat named Fancy & my aunt has a beagle named Fancy, I didn't think it was a very common name until now!lol!

How fun!! I can't wait to see how this progresses.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Good morning! Sorry I haven't been around all weekend.

If you remember my egg laying saga, Milly started laying eggs in January of this year. We decided to let her hatch one clutch, but every time, she abandoned them. I had gotten a nest and was doing all the right things. The last time she laid eggs (May, I think), I figured she'd abandon them again, but this time she didn't! That's when I improvised with the tupperware dish that didn't seem to bother her one bit!

I never candled mine, so I didn't know what were dealing with, but I knew there was a strong chance that they were fertile because Roger was with her so much.

A nest is probably the best idea, but like I said, a determined mom like Milly could have cared less. In fact, right this minute, she is sitting on an egg she laid yesterday! And it's on the bottom of the cage! We won't be having anymore babies at this house, although it was fun. Since we still have one of them living here, I definitely don't want to add any more. I don't have the space or the time. They were cared for in the most part by their parents, but I worried constantly about them, and had to really watch and make sure Milly and Roger got the right things to eat to keep those babies nourished.

Good luck!
    Logan

I spoke too quickly!! Milly is now sitting on TWO eggs!!!

PS. Aly, that means you need to hurry up and get Bennie so I can separate my two!! LOL!!!

Originally posted by Logan
    I spoke too quickly!! Milly is now sitting on TWO eggs!!!

PS. Aly, that means you need to hurry up and get Bennie so I can separate my two!! LOL!!!
    Logan....can't you seperate them now and put Milly with Bennie? I don't think Bennie would do anything.......he's a baby.

I'm just upset about this whole situation .. I mean its exciting that they have an egg .. but its too soon .. we've had them for only over 2 weeks now and we still can't go near them, they bite, squeal and its just not turning out to be a very pleasant experience at all. And now this! I was hoping that they'd be better around us by this time but its quite the opposite. Now that they are mating and laying eggs, I feel like the situation will only worsen, not giving us a chance to bond with them at all.

I'm afraid to try the towel thing because of the egg situation and they probably will go mad and never trust me again .. and the slooooow process of trying to get them used to my hand (putting my hand near the cage, offering food on my hand, etc) like 30 times a day has not been working at the very least.

At the rate this is going they *might* not threaten to bite my hands in about 6 months ..

My vent is over for today ... *sighs*

Oh - and she is still sitting on her egg. Not very often, just once in a while for 10-20 minutes. Not sure how long they are supposed to do it for ...

Hmm .. update. Chip just flew out of the cage. So I thought, well I guess I could try the towel thing. I picked him up gently with it, and he went completely nuts .. trying so desperatly to get out and biting my fingers to peices .. seemed a bit too stressful for him so I put him back. Any encouragment? I feel like giving up trying and just leaving them alone ... I'm obviously torturing them

I think maybe you're trying too hard. They feel your stress, plus they have the stress of the eggs at this point.

Maybe I don't expect enough from mine. Milly will not come out on my finger, but she will "step up". Roger willingly comes to me, but remember, he has been here since he was a baby and was friendly from the very first day. Even with that, he still bites me on occasion.

Take it slowly and I wouldn't push them, especially while you have eggs.

Logan