Thread: Bad News On Mina

Bad News On Mina

I just got off the phone and I'm so upset!!!!

Mina has to be declawed in the front!!!!!! Her little paws started getting sore Monday and when foster mom took her to the vet he did some x-rays and her front claws are growing into her paw.

I didn't want her declawed because now she won't be able to defend herself if she gets out and won't get to enjoy the cat tree house I just had built for her! (WHAAAAAAAAAA)

sorry if I'm sounding a little selfish and whiney.

-Renae

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Is Mina a polydactyl kitty? If so, sometimes they'll have a claw that grows in between the 'thumb' and the rest of the paw. Often I ask the vets to remove ONLY that claw while they're out for the routine spay/neuter. It seems odd if she's not double pawed, to have any other claws growing into her little paws. Poor baby if she needs all removed.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

I asked the vet if it was necessary and he said that unless we want her to suffer we will have too. I asked if this is common and he said no because she isn't double pawed. He thinks what might of happened is when she was born that her claws didn't develop right. Instead of being like a normal claw that grows in a hump like shape Mina's claws start the hump and grow straight back.

I'm so upset for her. She is my baby and now she can't have any fun with her little house, or defend herself is she gets attacked.

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

I'm so sorry to hear that! Poor baby
    I can tell you though that she will climb your cat tree and everything else! She will pretend sharpen her claws as well. I don't have any declaws but have seen many. Sirrahbed has all declawed cats and she will be able to share more about how it doesn't really stop everything. however, it will be too dangerous for her ever to be outside.
    I hope all goes well with her surgery and please keep us posted.

My Terra is a declawed cat and let me tell you, she still climbs just fine. She doesn't climb the curtains anymore, but she can manage her cat tree just fine. In fact, her favorite place to be is "up". Up on the couch, up on the entertainment center, up on the cat tree, you name it, she can get there. She also still tries to sharpen her claws on the scratching post and rugs all the time.

As far as not being able to defend herself as well if she gets out, well, that's true. You'll just have to be extra-cautious that she doesn't get out. It'll be difficult (Terra is the only one of my 3 with any kind of wanderlust and of course she's the only one who's declawed) but you can do it. Just find the treat that tempt her the most and keep some on hand should she ever get out.

But these possible risks are far less than the guaranteed risks if Mia does not get declawed from how it sounds.
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

I'm just afraid that she'll hate me after the surgery. I don't have Mina yet, but I'm still scared that she will just connect me to the lose of her front claws. I couldn't bear it if she hated me.

(I sound like a pansy I know.)

HI

JUST TO SAY...THE CAT I TOOK OVER FROM THE CRACKHEADS, SABBATH, IS DECLAWED...THEY THREW HIM OUTSIDE! HE WILL NOT COME IN!! HE COMES IN TO EAT(WHEN HIS BOWL'S EMPTY) BUT HE'LL SLAP, HISS & GROWL...MY CATS WITH CLAWS STAY AWAY!!
    KITTY FRIEND
    TAKE CARE, GOD BLESS
    MULTICATMOM

Originally posted by mina'smomma
    I'm just afraid that she'll hate me after the surgery. I don't have Mina yet, but I'm still scared that she will just connect me to the lose of her front claws. I couldn't bear it if she hated me.

(I sound like a pansy I know.)
    She is not going to hate you. She is a very young kitten and she will be in some pain for awhile and she should see you as her helper. You will take care of her and spoil her rotten!
    Trust me and don't worry. She will have you wrapped around her little declwed pawsie in no time!!

I'm also afraid my friends will see me as a monster because until she gets bigger we have to pick at her paws to find the claws and keep clipping at them which means we have to break paw skin to do it. She cried so much when I was doing it at the doctors office that I had to hand her to the vet and sit down because I was crying so hard. He told me that until she gets bigger we have to do this. (hard as it is) I asked if we get the claws clipped down to where they aren't in her paws would she be ok and he said no because of the quick being in paw so they will keep growing like that.

I never wanted to declaw her, but it looks like I have to or she will be at a high risk of infections in her front paws. I even have to use pine litter until after the surgery. My poor Mina is hurting and there is nothing I can do to help her except bring her home on Friday. (she is still with foster mom until we get her carrier from the shop we ordered it from.)

Can anyone give me advice on how to make her more comfortable when she comes to the apartment. My fiance and I are giving up our softest pillows for her to sleep on.