Thread: I need advice on ferals please

I need advice on ferals please

Ok, you guys remember the two kittens that I took to my friend this weekend. Well, I know that it has only been two days but I'm concerned. I have always had the time to teach them to trust me with feeding and talking to them while they were safe on the porch. It takes a long time to gain their trust but I have always done it.
    The problem is these two are not doing well with my co-worker. She has them in a small room in her basement away from any other animals. It's quiet and secure. She kept them in a lrage dog crate the first night but one kitten was going so nuts that she was terrified it was going to hurt itself or his brother. She opened the crate and let them have the room. One is now securely hidden somewhere in there but the other one won't come out of the crate and just lays there with a very slight purr. He cowers when she tries to touch him but he won't move. Very little food has been eaten and very very little water.
    She sat in the room last night talking for about thirty minutes to let them get used to her voice. She is willing to do this and let them come to her on her terms.
    I suggested that she pull the one out of the crate and force a very small amount of gentle petting. I'm concerned it could be hurt or injured since his brother went physco. There is no way to tell unless she gets him out. Is he possibly in shock?

I'm ready to go get them and bring them back home! I'm crying just thinking about what I have done to them. Would they be better off if I brought them home and let them live outside like they are used to? I know it will probably shorten their lifespan and that breaks my heart too. My co-worker wants to give it time and if things haven't improved by this weekend then she wants me to come over and see if I can get them to respond to me. I don't think they will now because I have compleletly blown their trust in me.
    I can't sit here at work and cry all day so I need you guys to tell me what to do.

I would give them ,a little more time,as they are so scred,that no matter,where they go,they are going to be afraid,and it will take time,to get them,out of thier shells!It took,me over ayear,to have some,of the Found Cats.like me,and they were grown Cats!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My own feeling would be to give them more time. When Samantha and Daisy were tiny, Sam would run away, but Daisy would cower down. I don't think that is unusual with ferals. It does take time to win them round though. The only thing I would do differently to your friend is to put more bowls of water down in places that the cats might think are safer, corners, behind furniture etc.

Lisa: First of all, I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time with this.

I would definitely give them more time. It sounds like this lady is sensitive and caring when it comes to these ferals, just like you are!

I've read so many stories on this board about ferals that do a complete 180 when people least expect it . . . she may walk in the room tomorrow and they both be at her feet!

It's great that she's getting them used to her voice . . . and it sounds good to me that the one in the crate purrs when she's in the room . . . I'll bet that one will be the first to cave in to her!

Sounds like they want to be loved, just don't know how YET!

Please don't blame yourself for this! It may take some time, but they WILL be better off living inside with your co-worker!!! They just don't realize it yet! As long as they're eating & drinking, they'll be fine. And it really sounds like this lady is willing & able to bring them around.

It wouldn't hurt to say a little prayer for these two . . . I know they are scared but they're God's little creatures and he can calm their fears, just like he does ours.

Hang in there Lisa. I'm praying for you, your co-worker, and the babies today!!!
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

Thank you! I'm so sensitive about these things. I know all the book answers but when my heart is involved I get so upset and think I'm doing it all wrong. If these two were in my house I would be doing exactly what she is doing but I would feel so much better knowing it was me Why is that?

It's just that rescue part of me wants to go rescue them again!
    I have got to stop this because my house is FULL!! *sigh* I'm just a weak nut case when it comes to kitties.

I would maybe give more time.BUT,I defenetly would go over there fast and take the cat out to see if it's hurt from his brother going besrek in the cage with him.That's a main concern.
    And if he isn't hurt he could be in shock and really need some kind of attention.Maybe you should go over and check them out.

Thanks Kim for the gorgeous signature!

I have no experience with ferals, but from what I've read here over the years, I think giving them more time is the best thing to do. They've learned to trust you, but who knows how many other people they have come in contact with that they couldn't trust, so it will just take a little time before they know they're safe again. I think it's wonderful that your co-worker is willing to work with them, and it sounds like she's doing things right. She might want to force the one out just to make sure he's ok, but more than likely he is, and is just scared.

If you think it would make you feel better, you could go over and visit. This also might help them realize that they're safe - if you're in the room at the same time your friend is.

Patience and love is all they need and they'll come around. After all, look what it did for Magoo.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

*smack*

Please give it more time Lisa. This coworker sounds like she is very patient and willing to do the same things that you are. It has only been a few days. I bet one of these days, she will come in with wonderful stories for you!! You will see You did the right things and those lil babies are adaptable and will realize they are safe, it just takes TIME.

Have I been smacking you too much? I had better be careful, considering that I will soon be visiting you

I would also give it a bit longer - they are very scared, so will take a while to calm down. Can the lady put a "Talk Radio" station on whenever she is not in there talking to them herself, to get them relaxed around human voices.

I don't know if I would force the petting just yet. I tried that with Ginger once and he practically did a "spiderman"straight up a wall to get away from me.

If there is food and water I am sure the hidden one will come out eventually. Maybe your friend could tempt them with a yummy treat like some tuna or baby food?

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I don't know about ferals either but I agree that they should be given more time. I would worry about the one not moving around. Maybe you could go check to make sure he didn't get hurt by his brother. Maybe he's just adapting better than the other but not moving around much sounds odd to me.

From Decker with Love

First thing ((((HUGS)))) to you, Lisa!
    I agree that giving it a bit more time would be great. However, maybe if the both of you work on them together, it would help. That way, they would have your familiar face, voice and touch ... and they would know that you still love them, and are helping them! This might make it easier for them to make the adjustment to your co-worker as well. I know it will be time consuming for you to go over there, but maybe just a couple of visits?

Now.... I am very sad/jealous that sirrahbed will get to meet you in person and give you hugs! Waaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!

Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Thanks to all of you. I get so upset about these babies. I may go over this evening and see if I can help some. They probably don't trust me anymore either. That will make me cry again!!

Kim, don't be too jealous because Debbie may be delivering a *smack* in person instead of a hug!! I need it sometimes!

I just have to be careful not to go over there and pack the babies back home!
    I really am upset by this but I know in my head that this is being handled properly. It's my heart that isn't doing so well.

Some ferals need much more time than others.

Also you said she put them in a dog crate. Does it still smell like dogs?? If so, THAT could be upsetting the kitties. That crate needs to be cleaned out with a bleach water solution.

Ferals are very unique. Some adapt more readily than others, and then there are some that may never adapt. But I would give these 2 a bit more time before you do anything. And I mean this could take up to 2 weeks, too!

Your friend sounds like she has the patience, help her out by understanding that its not going to be easy the first week or so.

Good luck and keep us updated on this.
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

Taming feral kittens can take a lot of time and patience. First off they need to be secluded in a bathroom where they don't have a place to run and hide. How old are the kittens? The older they are the longer and harder it is to tame. Please read this link on taming feral kittens. It could offer a lot of pointers. I too think it needs time, but done in the right way! Good luck!

http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/taming.pdf
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

It has taken 5 months with Ginger, progressing to the point where he will now approach me for scritchies and climb on my lap. Even a month ago I would NEVER have thought it would get to this point.

Since April every time I walked past him, or saw him, or was working in the garden I would have a "conversation" with him - just chatting away as if he understood me. Now he answers back, and even argues some times - cheeky thing!!

Patience is the key!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.