Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Analyzing a Statement

Need Help Analyzing a Statement

Hi all

I know I've been scarce lately, but school has been tough - again. This week the professor seems to have slacked off a bit so I should have a bit of free - finally - hopefully!

Anyway, the reason for this post is I need help analyzing something. I haven't been getting full credit for posting in the online threads for school. I asked the prof what I could do to increase my points, and this is his reply:

"The additional points could come from a stronger focus on synthesis and evaluation of the topics in the discussion. If you re-read the guidelines for discussion, focus in on the predicates used to demonstrate synthesis and evaluation. I'm looking for you to push past analysis in the cognitive hierarchy and move into synthesis and evaluation of the material."

....huh?.....

Evidently he is one of those people that trys to impress you with his technical jargon. I generally am not impressed with people like that. Seems to me it's more of a "baffle 'em with bulls**t" to cover up the fact that he hasn't a clue as to why he's downgrading my contributions to the threads.

The last sentence especially gets to me. What in the world does it mean to "push past analysis in the cognitive hierarchy"?
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Well I can't help you, but you have my sympathies!

I'm afraid that if it doesn't have anything to do with pee biscuits or tootsie rolls, I get lost in the shuffle.
    Wish I could help.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Gud GRIEF!!

WHAT'd he say!??????

"Baffel em wiff BS" is right!

You could probably develop quite a "following" with your Fellow Students
    by using His Answer?? as a NEW "Subject for Discussion".

Mite not help your GRADE too much -
    but would be *phunn* to see how it flies with the others!

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

What a bunch of ..... I am trying to push past the predicate and analyze the denominator before I cognitively move into the synthesis. Hierarchically of course.

I would save this statement and when the course is completed I would sent a copy of the correspondence to the school administrators. Ask them to translate this! What a bunch of......

Somewhere in there he is suggesting you need to get beyond analysis and into absorption. What does he think you are? A paper towel?????

what the #$%#$ kind of class is this - and what is the subject?

Well, with the help of Dictionary.com - here's what you can ask him in order to clarify his statement.

"when you emphasize the need for a stronger synthesis, are you refering to logical deduction from the general to the specific or do you seek the combination of thesis and antithesis in the Hegelian dialectical process whereby a new and higher level of truth is produced?"

You said this is an on-line discussion? Maybe you can track down someone who can synthesize with the best of them and see what he or she is doing.

good luck

These are not the droids you were looking for

Originally posted by catland
    [B]what the #$%#$ kind of class is this - and what is the subject?

Well, with the help of Dictionary.com - here's what you can ask him in order to clarify his statement.

"when you emphasize the need for a stronger synthesis, are you refering to logical deduction from the general to the specific or do you seek the combination of thesis and antithesis in the Hegelian dialectical process whereby a new and higher level of truth is produced?"
    LOL LOL That's about right! Good one catland!
    I have to agree, it sounds like he's loading you with a bunch of bull and big words, and that is never an impressive thing...especially when it makes absolutely NO sense!!!

My attempt:

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    "The additional points could come from a stronger focus on synthesis and evaluation of the topics in the discussion. If you re-read the guidelines for discussion, focus in on the predicates used to demonstrate synthesis and evaluation. I'm looking for you to push past analysis in the cognitive hierarchy and move into synthesis and evaluation of the material."
    My attempt to translate:

Your additional points could focus more on the synthesis (which I define as 1. narrowing a broad topic to a small focus/specific point, 2.deducing a cause and effect relationship or 3.(think back to math class) showing your work -- list/narrate all steps involved to move from point A to point B) and evalution (which I would define as judging the worth -or lack thereof- of a point) of the topics in the discussion. ... focus in on the predicates (he means examples) used to demonstrate synthesis and evaluation. I'm looking for you to push past analysis and move into synthesis and evaluation of the material [i](in short, don't "gloss" over the entire reading but pick one or two points and REALLY argue them, connect them to past/present texts and/or issues, and be sure to list/discuss EVERY step that's involved).

That's my take on the whole gobbledy-gook - hope it helps!

Re: My attempt:

Originally posted by zippy-kat
    Smartie pants
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Good lord...and I am usually pretty good with the english language, and as a lawyer, 'trained' to use 25 cent words when .o5 ones will do the trick!

I had no idea what he meant, until I read Zippy's reply.

My attempt to translate:

Your additional points could focus more on the synthesis (which I define as 1. narrowing a broad topic to a small focus/specific point, 2.deducing a cause and effect relationship or 3.(think back to math class) showing your work -- list/narrate all steps involved to move from point A to point B) and evalution (which I would define as judging the worth -or lack thereof- of a point) of the topics in the discussion. ... focus in on the predicates (he means examples) used to demonstrate synthesis and evaluation. I'm looking for you to push past analysis and move into synthesis and evaluation of the material [i](in short, don't "gloss" over the entire reading but pick one or two points and REALLY argue them, connect them to past/present texts and/or issues, and be sure to list/discuss EVERY step that's involved).

Well, I hope you know that I can never talk to you again!

No wonder you're always so quiet in chat, you're probably bored to death!

My attempt to translate:

... Whut Zippy sed ...

That's my take on the whole gobbledy-gook -
    hope it helps!
    Wellllllll - Thankz, Zipp!

THAT kleered it Rite UP!

(Wonders...

Did Zippy have that Same Prof?? )

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

My attempt to translate:

To add to the last sentence.. don't always go with what it looks like at first (the cognitive part) but probe a little deeper and extract more meaning based on other info pulled from the discussion. Am I right, Tonya lol??

I would agree to that, Nom!

*bashes head against desk* - you guys are making me feel STOOPID - I'm off to watch Cartoon Network LOL

Seriously though, we DO have a right bunch of clever-clogs here (and I mean that as a compliment).

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.