HAS ANYONE ANY GOOD TIPS ON TAMING A WILD KITTEN? (maybe 8 weeks old)

Today I went to the Humane Society to reinstate the "lost cat" information on my lost kitty Jasper. I had found out they only keep information for 30 days...stupid. How many cats make sure they return in under 30 days????

*****As I started to fill out my card, I was distracted by two ladies near me who were sobbing and wiping their eyes. They had trapped two wild kittens, finding a home for one. The Hawaiian Humane Society told them, and I heard, THE KITTEN THEY HAD BROUGHT IN SO IT COULD FIND A HOME WAS TO BE PUT DOWN. They were told the weeks old kitten was growling and spitting, and too wild for adoption. I broke in asking about foster homes to tame the kitten. We were told there are many foster homes but they are all full of kittens that are more used to people. They could do nothing else. These ladies cried and cried, calling people on their cell phone to find a place for it. They could not take it home. One had many cats and the other dogs that do not like cats. But their concern touched me. After filling my card out and leaving another "lost" poster with pictures, I sat and waited. They tried and tried but no one they knew could take it.

By then I was in tears myself. My Jasper had been rescued and my niece spent weeks taming him. When he came to live with me he was pretty mellow and has always been loving.

They couldn't take it back home and the people at the Humane Society seemed to be getting irritated with us. I finally spoke up and said I would take him. I couldn't see him getting killed when he hadn't even been given a chance. Immediately we were told to leave, and if they gave the kitten to me that we would have to do it off their property. I went out to the car and waited, and we exchanged names, numbers and the kitten in their parking lot.

The lady who gave me the kitten said that she was now going to withdraw a large donation she was scheduled to give, because of their reluctance to help them and animals in need. They still have a mother cat and two more kittens to catch.

Now I have the tiny guy here at home. He is still in the carrier they loaned me. I put in water and food, and a little litter box, with him spitting and trying to strike me. He has eaten and used his box, but is no friendlier. I put him on my queen sized bed so that I can lay down and talk eye to eye with him. Everytime I try he growls. If I make soft meowing sounds he moves around.

Monday I will try to get him into the vet, so I am trying to avoid scratches until he is checked. My two dogs have sniffed the crate several times, but then go on their way. With my Jasper they were very loving and kind, letting him be the boss. I think they will be kind with this guy too if they get the chance.

The only thing I can think to do is, slowly, a little more each day, to approach him. If slowly doesn't work, maybe I should just take him out of the crate, wrap him and hold and pet him. Maybe have him be loose but confined to a room. But if he doesn't use a litter box, then what? See, lots of questions. Anyone been through this? Any ideas?

I just couldn't let them kill him.