Thread: Some jerk

Some jerk

My brother has had a stray come around his house for a awhile. When he first came by he was scrawny and under fed. My bro, fed him and he became friends w/ his cats. One day my bro puts a collar on him so he wouldn't get picked up by the pound. A few days later the cat came by, not wearing the collar my bro put on, but a collar made of masking tape. The cat wasn't a stray, he had a loser of an owner. The owner actually put tape right around his neck on the fur, with a note attached. The note read:
    "To who ever touched my cat,
    Do not touch my cat again. Leave him alone."

What a jerk! Well, buddy, why don't you treat him right, why don't you feed him? Poor little guy.

My bro took the tape off carefully and gave up on the collar idea, but he still feeds him. Who could do that to any animal?

------------------

Igor Inc. (c)2001

Even with my limited knowledge. It's quite obvious that the cat hasn't been neutered. My bro actually let him live in his house for a few days. The cat sprayed all of his clothes. Not his wifes clothes, just his.

yes, the jerk, should be neutered.

I don't advocate stealing other peoples' well kept, well loved pets. And unfortunately animal welfare agencies are unable to take action unless the animal is in eminent danger (obvious starvations, exposure, etc). Just because the cat is outside and skinny is, unfortunately, not a severe enough infraction to warrant legal action. Calling animal control will likely produce one of two results - either the owner will reclaim, pay the fine, and nothing has changed, or the animal will be destroyed because the owner will either not claim it or will not be willing to pay the fines and cure any legal infractions that may exist, such as unlawfully not registering, vaccinating, or altering the animal. There is a small chance that the pet will be readopted to a more responsible owner.

I am not recommending this, I am just reporting what I have done in the past in the event an animal was being neglected but not to the point that a criminal offense had occurred. I have taken such animal home, vaccinated and altered if needed, and adopted to someone who would take proper care of it.

Ben's brother may find that the cat will not spray once it is neutered, but there is certainly no guarantee, especially if the cat is more than a year or two old.

This is one of those "no easy answer" problems.

I still can't believe masking tape!

My goodness!! What an annoying and irresponsible owner. The poor cat is obviously not cared for. It's really ashame when animals fall into the hands of people like these. Kudos to your brother for feeding the poor cat. I'm with 4feline, I usually don't advocate the stealing of other people's pets, but some cases warrant such an idea. I bet this jerk of an owner wouldn't really notice or care if the cat just "disappeard" one day anyway (after all, you mentioned that he has stayed at your brothers a few days before). I have to admit that I took a cat that was being neglected and gave it to a friend of mine who would take care of it. I know, bad...bad Karen!! I know it was wrong...but I felt so sorry for this sweet fuzzy orange kitty that just wanted to be loved by people. The owners were just too irresponsible and neglectful, and they really didn't seem to concerned when kitty disappeared one day....

Don't feel guilty if you are ever forced to 'steal' a neglected/abused pet. The "owners" do NOT deserve to have any living thing under their care if they treat it badly or don't even care. I have been in situations where I have taken people's pets who were in AWFUL living conditions. Every single time I did it though, I felt relieved and happy that the animal was in a better home and would no longer suffer. Whenever something involves a living soul, I find myself looking past rules and regulations and just figuring out how I can help. This may get me into a bad situation one day, but I won't ever regret it.

Just my rambling thoughts.

Ben, I hope your brother can save the cat. I would like to put masking tape around that guy's neck. (Not your brother! The "owner" of the cat).

It isn't "stealing" to remove the cat it is "rescuing".

If a child was malnurished and mistreated he/she would be taken away and placed with people who could love and respect him/her. It should be the same with the cat. We are all living creatures, deserving of respect and dignity.

Masking Tape!! What was he thinking?!?

Take that poor cat away and find a loving home far away from Mr. Masking tape.

The world needs more people like your brother.

I say we find Mr. Masking Tape and put tape around his neck like Aly suggested. THEN we write on it:

"Don't touch me - I am an A--Hole!"

BUT

that is just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Mila's Mommy (edited June 20, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mila's Mommy (edited June 20, 2001).]

Spencer,

I have heard about the terrible tragedy in Texas and I certainly wasn't trying to make light of it.

I was a bit upset as I had just heard of a case, here in Canada, of 2 men charged with skinning a cat alive. Apparently they considered it entertainment.

I have been told by others to lighten up, that humans lives are much more important than a cat or a dog. I believe that we are ALL deserving of love and respect.

Unfortunately there are too many little souls, human and otherwise, who are used abused in our society.

I understand there is a lot of sadness and anger in Texas right now and if my posting struck you as rude and thoughtless, I truly apologize.

Mila

[This message has been edited by Mila's Mommy (edited June 21, 2001).]

They keep playing the story about that little girl in Dallas on the news here. I keep having to cover my ears and run out. I also can't bear to watch it when they talk about the dog fighting rings. Abuse to any living thing sickens me so much.

In NJ, abused children have DYFS to intervene on their behalf. Sadly, because of the absence of strict laws protecting animals, abused/neglected cats and dogs don't have much if any recourse. Maybe your bro can have him neutered and keep him indoors. Hopefully his spraying will cease upon neutering. That is what I would certainly attempt to do for this poor, obviously mistreated and unwanted feline. As for the so-called "owner", I can't type what he deserves or I will surely be censored.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs