Thread: Up date on Rex (dog to dog aggression)

Up date on Rex (dog to dog aggression)

I am not posting so much lately, because I am working intensively on Rex behavior and I barely have time to see the headlines here.

Last month we had the appointment with the dog behaviorist, wich recommended a private trainer. Well, from mid August till last week we had four classes in the week (one at his old dog school, two in another school, and one with the private trainer). I was always exhausted!

The private trainer comes to us, and we work where Rex main problem is: leashed on streets, parks, and he also brings one or two of his own dogs (also GSD) to work with us.

At the dog schools Rex does wonderfully everything, once he crosses the gate after the classes, he is back with his dog to dog aggression issues! On the streets he is much better after we began with the private trainer.

Rex is much more manageable after all this training, I will keep the dog school and the private trainer till I can take him everywhere and he behaves good mannered, a real "gentledog".

At the parks, off leash, he goes to other dogs (he has no problems with female), sniffs, plays a little bit and comes back to me, but he doesn't like when other dogs come to him, then he growls, gives lip curls, and some times chases and nips, I think it is because he thinks the other dogs will take his toys from him.

Leashed, on streets, he still barks, growls, lounges at other dogs, but is much better to hold him back.

Few weeks ago I came to know that his last owner (a drug junkie) taught him to lounge at dogs and bycicles (of other drug junkies), last Friday I saw him with an adult pitbul and he told me that the pit is worse than Rex: not only attacks other dogs and bykes, he also bites people!!!

If some of you have dogs with dog to dog aggression issues, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks

Rosana
    and Rex (GSD, 3yo, neutered)

Re: Up date on Rex (dog to dog aggression)

Glad Rex is doing better with the trainer.
    It will take time but he will improve even more.
    Sounds like Rex had a very hard life before you
    got him.
    It might take a long time with lots of patients to
    try to undo some of what his first owner did to him.

----<---<--<{(@

Yay for Rex AND you for trying so hard!! Keep up the good work,,, it sounds like his background wasnt too good...... it will take time,, but things are looking good for you both!!!

Thank you for the support. Training by training he is geting better and better.

Rosana
    and Rex

thats FABO news!!!!!
    Keep up the good work,,,, both of you!!!