Thread: Is this pretty normal behavior?

Is this pretty normal behavior?

Gracie is chasing Harley around like crazy. She acts like she is playing with him. But she is growling at him? It is a low growl at first I didn't even know she was growling at him.

I kept hearing a low rumbling sound I thought it was coming from outside. Yeah I know what a cat sounds like when they growl. But I've never heard her growl like that. It wasn't really a mean growl like with her ears all back and hissing.

I guess they just need time get use to each other. She is being pretty hateful towards him. She is smacking him around some too.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

Its normal. Most often, when you introduce a new cat into a home its best idea to separate the new addition into a separate room for the first week or so. You could perhaps keep the new kitten in your daughter's room. this helps him get used to the new home, and your existing cat get used to the idea of a roomate. Then once you have spent time apart, you can slowly introduce each other at supervised intervals.

We did this to Pouncer and Allen and in two weeks time, Allen had taken to grooming Pouncer and thought Pouncer was his kitten.

Good luck and have fun with the new baby!

I agree with Catnapper - it's best to seperate them and let Gracie get used to his smell first. It might only take a few days or you may need to give it a week. Going slowly is always best.

You could also give him a towel or blanket to sleep on and then take it out to Gracie to let her smell it and put her smell on it then return it to him. Little things like that will help them get used to each other without all the hissing and growling, hopefully.

From Decker with Love

A lot,of the time,it is the incumbent Cat,exercising thier authority,over the New Comer! imagine how you would feel,if you woke up,one day,and a New Person,was in YOUR SPACE!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Well I don't have much choice. We don't have very many other places to put a litter box. My husband wouldn't be to happy me doing that anyways. We live in a fairly small house.

They both seem to be doing fine this morning. Gracie is just basically chasing Harley around now. I believe they will be fine.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

Make sure you give Gracie lots of extra attention too, that should help.

From Decker with Love