Thread: overlicking

Hybrid View

overlicking

I have a male cat that has recently been licking his tummy until part of it has no fur on it any more. My vet said that he thinks it is because he found out that he has nipples, I would like to know if there is something to put on his tummy that would make him stop licking it all the time so the fur grows back. Any ideas?

How old is your cat? Is he neutered?

Originally posted by carrie:
    How old is your cat? Is he neutered?
    I am not exactly sure of his age he is at least 8-10 years old and has been neutered since a kitten

The vet said "because he found out that he has nipples"...

It sounds a bit dodgy to me...all cats wash themselves and would know that they have nipples! Sorry to sound a bit surprised but it just seems like an unusual thing for a vet to say. Perhaps it was their way of telling you they didn't know?

It sounds like a behavioural problem. It may be due to an environmental change - you know, change in home, people around him, other pets, or diet?

Any ideas?

Troy, I agree! Very dodgy for a cat of this age! Very dodgy for a cat! Try giving the cat some new toys to play with, three or four over a three or four week period so he has something new to think about for a while.

Does he like to scratched or rubbed on his belly? Is it difficult to distract him when he is doing the belly wash?

Originally posted by Troy:

Does he like to scratched or rubbed on his belly? Is it difficult to distract him when he is doing the belly wash?
    Whenever we catch him washing his belly, we stop him right away and pet him. There has been no changes in the household, no new pets, etc. He has a little sister that has been with him for his whole life. He does not care for toys, of course if he finds a piece of paper he will play with it but if I spend money on a catnip toy or ball he ignores it. (typical cat behavior)

...yes I know what that's like. Spend as much money as you can on the most elaborate and expensive cat gifts and they will always prefer plain old paper, string, sticks, and boxes. Bless them, I wish I could be please so easily!

I know that big-cat therapy uses various herbs and fragrant plants to keep the animals busy. Lavender is very popular. You can also try plants like grass, rosemary, cat-mint, thyme, and oregano. Mine eat more of my herb garden than I do. It keeps them happy and healthy though...

If it makes you feel better, overgrooming is a fairly common, and usually harmless, problem in cats. Unless a health problem is causing it (fleas, allergies, etc.) or being caused by it (injuring himself) it's safe to ignore it. I would definitely take him back to the vet, though, and make sure any medical problems are ruled out, if they haven't already been.