Thread: Grooming a long haired kitty

Hybrid View

Grooming a long haired kitty

Can anyone give me advice on grooming a long haired kitty? I've had several short-haired cats, but it is my understanding that long hairs require different treatment. Is that right?
    We just picked up Hanna-chan from the shelter last night and she's just one giant mat from what would be her waist on down. She's currently at the vet getting checked out and groomed, but I'm afraid they'll have to partially shave her to get rid of those mats
    Since we'll basically be starting from scratch, I want to start off on the right foot so she won't have to go through this again. She's such a sweet and personable little girl. I don't think it'll be difficult to get her on my lap while I do whatever I need to do.
    Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Yes your kitty will probably have to be shaved so you can keep up the fur from scratch. Groom often - I'd say once a day, most cats love to be brushed - it stimulates their skin and makes their fur so shiny. There is nothing more beautiful than a long haired cat - I guess that's why the Persians do so well in the cat shows. They're a lot of work - but oh so beautiful!!!!

Spencer,

Is there a special kind of brush or comb that you use? For me short hairs I use something like a zoom groom, but I don't think that will cut it with Hanna.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Our Misty is long haired. We have to keep her brushed almost daily. It is good to do so because they could get far more hairballs than short haired cats. I have a glove that has little nips on it that she likes. It is like I am petting her and at the same time I am getting a lot of hair off her. I got mine at Walmart. She is not caring for a lot of brushes and this works great.
    Misty's Mom

Well, we picked Hanna up from the vet/groomer last night and I was right. She had been shaved..ENTIRELY with the exception of her face We put a couple of extra blankets in her room with her so she could "nest" in them and stay warm. Boy, does she like people right now! Body heat!

Spencer, Ila- thanks for the advice. I have gloves that sound like yours Ila and I'll pick up a long hair brush/comb while I'm out today. Thanks again