Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: De-clawing

De-clawing

I was just interested in how everyone felt about declawing your cats. This is quite a contraversal subject - I have always thought this to be quite cruel and have never declawed any of my cats. Yes, I have some new furniture now, but still would never consider it. I do keep my cats claws trimmed down, and though I've had some damage to my furniture and carpet, I just expect that that comes with the territory. When I bought my purebred Siamese cats I had to sign a contract saying I would not declaw them. She didn't need to worry anyway, but can that kind of thing be enforced. The new owners of one of my kittens had her declawed much to my dismay.

Former User Guest
    Our two cuties won't ever be declawed. Yes, they may scratch alot, but that's what cats do, and if you can't accept it, don't get a cat. Sure our couch has suffered "a bit" since thses two came, but so what? Luckily most of the time they do scratch their own pole, and piece of carpet, and our other stuff isn't in danger.
    So, we say no to declawing.

I would never declaw my babies. I am trying hard to teach them not to claw the couch, which has been more difficult with Danny (the baby) than with Elvis. It was very easy with Charlie (now @ Rainbow Bridge). He got the message right away. For the time being, I just keep sheets draped over the couch and, when I catch him clawing it, I give him a stern "no" and move him away to somewhere he is allowed to claw. It takes time, but I believe that they can be trained.

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

I unfortunately did have one of my cats declawed (front only) several years ago before I became educated on the issue. I will never do it again. I have also read a lot about how some cats are never the same. I trim Otie and Mir's nails about every other week. I started doing this with Mir when she was a baby and she is 3 now and just sits on my lap and lets me do it. I have a scratching post, but most of the time she uses the chair at my desk, but it's old anyway. The joy they bring me far out weighs a little snag to the furniture.

Spencer - thanks for referring back to previous postings on this subject. Appears the general feeling is not to do it and I'm glad everyone feels this way

I would never, never delclaw my baby Sundance. He is good about using the scratching post and only claws the furniture when he really wants my attention. I think it is the most inhumane thing they ever invented. Please don't declaw.

I have three cats, 2 are not declawed but other is declawed on all four paws. His previous owner had him declawed on all four paws, broke a foot because of it and all the pain he went through, she didn't even keep him. I am against people getting thier cats declawed, it is not right, it's mean and very pain to the cat. At my shelter, they don't do declawing. I wish every vet was like that.

did not see this thread before ...

I WOULD NEVER DO THAT TO MY CAT !!!
    Yes , he destroyes our leather couches , yes he scratches a lot ;but : IT IS A CAT !!!
    Declawing is to me a severe torture that should be forbidden !!
    If you hate scratching , then have another pet ( maybe a fake one ??!!)

Just like tmckay, i had, in fact, it was my first cat , also declawed in the front only. I also, at the time had no knowledge about declawing. But the more i heard about it and read up on it, i vowed i would NEVER EVER get another cat declawed. I've had since 6 cats and all of them had kept their claws. It takes time and patience to train them, but it is worth it. After all, like many of you have said, they are cats and cats scratch. But what really bugs the H out of me, is when someone i know tells me they are thinking of getting their cat declawed, and i tell them all the reasons why they shouldn't and what they can do to prevent their cat from scratching the furniture. AND THEY GO AND DO IT ANYWAY.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Thought this list was worth posting again:

This is a list of countries that either outlaw declawing, or come close to it:

1. England
    2. Scotland
    3. Wales
    4. Italy
    5. France
    6. Germany
    7. Austria
    8. Switzerland
    9. Norway
    10. Sweden
    11. Netherlands
    12. Northern Ireland
    13. Ireland
    14. Denmark
    15. Finland
    16. Slovenia
    17. Portugal
    18. Belgium
    19. Spain
    20. Brazil
    21. Australia
    22. New Zealand
    23. Yugoslavia

De-Claw

I have worked for several vets and we have done a dozen or so declawings and I have to say it is the most horriable sugery. Not only are the claws removed but the terminal bone as well.

Also I think if the cat is too old it emotionaly damages them. I help a vet with house calls for animals too agressive to be taken into the vet and almost ALL the agessive cats have been declawed at a late age. A common phrase is "It's a good thing s/he doesn't have claws or s/he'd rip you a new one." Well I say that if the cat had claws s/he'd won't be so nasty.

Say NO to declaw, tail docking, and ear cropping!!! Don't remove parts of a pet simply because they displease you. Have a natural pet (neutering and spaying are diffrent, there are health and population reasons involved).

Cheers,
    Tigeress
    No matter what happens at least my pets still love me.

Make a fast friend -Adopt a Greyound!!

If you are concerned about your cat scratching your furniture, there is a wonderful product called "softpaws", which can be found at www.softpaws.com
    This is similar to artificial nails for a human, in that they are soft plastic covers for your cat's claws that are relatively easy to apply. I know a number of kitty owners who have used them and rave! The cat feels no discomfort (aside from getting the things on in the first place), and it saves your furniture.

As far as declawing a cat, all I have to do is think of how I would appreciate having my fingernails removed. Not only is it painful for the cat, but what if your indoor kitty accidentally gets out one day and cannot defend itself against a predator?

I am definitely against declawing cats. There is always another way to solve the problem.

Those of you who are irate to pet owners who declaw their cats have no right to be hostile. I love cats! However, I am not going to have all of my things destroyed because of them. I have worked hard for what I have. But I love my cat more than anything. I researched declawing prior to having the procedure done. The vet that performed the surgery is an amazing vet, who couldn't have done a better job. His pain was minimal and he had not side effects. I just don't think I should be judged because my feelings are different from others'. To each their own!

declawing not for us either

I don't declaw my cats either. Just do a lot of trimming and provide good scratching posts. Some people think it is just fine, but personally I just hate to see those little ones with the bandages and all. Also even though my cats are for the most part indoors all the time except for their porches, in case they get off and run in the woods I wouldn't want them to be that defenseless.

I think that it is so sad to do that, I wouldn't want it done to me.