Thread: Hopefully helpful...

Hopefully helpful...

Howdy Doo Cat-People! Happy 2001 to yaw'l! Can't remember where I saw it or if it's in the archives somewhere in this site? Anyways, wanted to let you know that Dennis Bubba's (CatoftheDay7/30/2000 Plug-Plug)Veterinarian recommended APPLE CIDER VINIGAR DROPS in DB's food to help prevent Urinary Tract Infections. I mean to tell ya' DENNIS BUBBA had serious problems with UTI's, so severe that he actually had an obstruction so bad, he had to have a re-section of his urethra and consequently lost his penis in the process. Poor baby, he was pretty indignant, but bounced back as THE ANGEL HE IS! So, since then, he'd had one bout of UTI and that's when Dr. Martin recommended the Apple Cider Vinigar. So, I mix 5-6 drops in his wet food, add dry food to it and microwave for 20 seconds, mix it up well and THANK GOD, Dr M, Apple Cider Vinigar that he hasn't had a single UTI since and that's three years now. I love my DENNIS BUBBA, he's such a special, SPECIAL animal and I am so happy that he doesn't have to suffer anymore with that awful problem anymore. Yaw'l take care of your Precious Furry Friends! Ciao!
    Blessings of GREAT Joy,
    Joyce

I'm glad Dennis Bubba is doing fine! That's one of those tips that we'll probably need down the road one day and won't be able to remember exactly what it was. I'm thinking of starting a file for just this purpose. Ask me later if I ever did. I have the greatest of intentions.

Just went back to 7/30/00 to take a peak at Dennis Bubba and read your story. I needed to share with you how incredibly touched I was as I read it. All of us cat lovers are thrilled Dennis Bubba is doing so well, but also, all of us people lovers are heartened by your courage and strength. So I send much love to you both.

Spencer:

you mentioned the neutering before 4months old. My vet will not spay/neuter before the cat is 6 months old or 4 pounds. Three other vets in the area do the same. Soooo, do you think that in the long run it will hurt my kitty? Molly is 4 months old now and only weighs 2.7 pounds. We have to wait until 6 months.

A lot of dry food is also a contributing factor to cats with UTI's. As many of you probably know it is impossible to get a cat to do something it is against (especially if they decide just on principle ) but encouraging cats to drink a lot of water is extremely good for their urinary tract.

There is no problem with early spaying, as Spencer noted. Some organizations will spay at three months. I think the few organizations that neuter that early are taking all things into consideration - the problem with getting adopters to bring their cats back in for neutering, even if the fee is paid in advance. I think they figure the increased risk of FUS is counteracted by the decrease in overpopulation. And, like Troy mentioned, there are many things that are suspected of increasing the incidence of FUS, but all are only suspected. There is no definitive reason why some cats succumb, and others don't. My cat was almost a year old when he was neutered and never ate dry or high ash food, but still suffered from bouts of FUS.

On the other hand, my current boy was neutered at 4 months, but I was afraid to wait any longer as he was already 8 lbs and had two littermate sisters. He is now about a year and a half old, but so far has never shown a sign of FUS (although I'm very aware it could still crop up).

So, like alot of veterinary decisions, you have to take everything into account. My somewhat educated opinion is, if there is no reason not to, then wait 'til your boy starts getting frisky. (Girls, however, should be spayed before their first season, if possible, to avoid a greater risk of breast cancer.) Otherwise, do what needs to be done in your situation.

My cat, Pui Pui, is suffered from the bladder inflection and have crystal in the urine sample taken. It is the second time in seven months' time. Forgot to say, she is a 3 1/2 years old female Persian cat.

Same as Troy said, the vet said that she drinks too little water. Can anyone advise me how I can encourage her to drink more?

The vet also mentioned that one of the reasons may be because she is the only cat in the house and sleeps all day when both me and my husband go to work. I am now thinking to get one more cat. Do you think it's a good idea?

Does Apple Cider Vinegar help in this case?

AH, by the way, vets in Hong Kong only neuter kitten until they are at least 6 months old.

Sadie doesn't like her water in an ordinary bowl, she has a quite small jug which seems to suit her better for some reason. I always thought cats liked a wide flat bowl so that their whiskers weren't squashed, but she's obviously different, though she has her food in a flat-ish dish.

------------------
    Helen

Point well made Spencer. Fresh water is especially important at my house since Andy likes to wash his feet in the water bowl and then lick them dry. Maybe I should provide a towel?

It seems we have all experienced the cats unusual attitude to water...

Mine don't like bowls or sauces and will only drink water out of glasses or mugs, wether it is old or not doesn't seem to worry them - as long as it is in the correct vessel.

...unless it's not meant to be drunken - like a slow running/dripping tap in the bathroom, the drops left in a bath or shower, the little water streams accross the courtyard after watering.

I suggest you fill several different vessels with water and leave them around the house in different spots and see which one(s) Pui Pui likes.

By the way, what does "Pui Pui" mean and in what language?

I had a vet tell me many years ago to salt my cat's food to get him to drink more water - but I would definitely check with your vet first. Also, many cats have the peculiar quirk of not liking to drink water out of a bowl that is close to their food bowl. Troy's suggestion would work - try different places and containers to see what they like best. I have usually kept a bowl in the bathroom, but the cats I have now walk past it to the big white porcelain bowl next to it - so I abandoned that idea and just let them slurp out of the toidy. You'd be surprised how much water a healthy cat does drink when you find what their quirks are and accomodate them.

Howdy Doo! Estella & Friends!
    ABOUT the APPLE CIDER VINIGAR DROPS...use three-six drops in Pui Pui's wet food and add dry food to it if you wish and heat it ever so slightly in the microwave. IT'S NATURAL AND HEALTHY WAY TO HELP PREVENT URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS or make them less severe. Since DENNIS BUBBA had such a difficult, painful history with UTI's, APPLE CIDER VINIGAR is like a "MIRACLE DRUG" (and a whole lot cheaper too.) And about water...I suppose you know, CATS don't ordinarily like "cold" water, fresh indeedy, but not icy-cold! They also tend to like their food slightly warmed up, it seems to stimulate poor appetites. Course', my beloved DB...eats pretty well anyway...and He's not a TUBBY GUY either.
    May I also Thank Everyone who has taken the time to look up my dear beloved DENNIS BUBBA (CatoftheDay 7/30/00) I'm about to have to "let-go" of another "friend" of mine. (SOB! SOB! I have a super 1978 MALIBU CLASSIC that goes way back with me as a new car. DENNIS BUBBA and I made our trip here to NC in it 12 years ago...and boy did he bellow about it for the first 100 miles. Anyways,my church (UNITY) blessed me with a new car (SATURN)for Christmas (I'm a Volunteer for our Smoke-Free BINGO Game) and I have to let the MALIBU go...Gosh! I never dreamed I could get so attached to a stupid car! It even still runs great and looks good...and I'm carrying on like it was a "Pet". Thank the Lord, I can't bring it into my house with me. ..DB would be jealous! Ha! Ah well! We cat and animals lovers are certainly not one dimensional huh? !!
    Blessings!
    Joyce

Thanks everyone for your good suggestions! As Pui Pui is still having her special diet for the next 4 weeks, I shall speak to my vet about the Apple Cider Vinegar next time I visit her.

The first thing I will do it is to try different kind of water bowl. I have a feeling that she will prefer a flat plat.

Troy, "Pui Pui" is Cantonese. I had a Lutino (mini-Cockatoo in white) name as Po Po before I have Pui Pui. In Cantonese, "PoĦ¨itself means "treasure" while "Po + PuiĦ¨ means "my honey".