Thread: female dogs fighting PLEASE HELP!!!

female dogs fighting PLEASE HELP!!!

I am hoping someone can maybe help me out bare with me this is gonna be long!!!. I have 4 dogs and 2 boys (huskys) 2 girls 1 is husky the other a Jack Russel /lab mix well ever since about 5 or 6 days ago (we moved to a new home about 3 weeks ago) barney the JRT – has been fighting with Talia (husky) it started over a toy so I picked up ALL toys this is strange since in 2 yrs living together no fight like this has ever happened anyhow it was bad!! Not like when my boys fight which is usually just a lot noise there was LOTS of blood anyhow Talia wouldn’t even look at barny for days she would shake when she came around etc. Barny is what seems like stalking her as though she is prey she gets down real low and pounces at her and hurts her REAL bad.. well the other day Talia hurt barn pretty bad but nothing major and last nite after I thought the fights may have been over Barny tore Talias ear so bad that by morning the infection is so bad they couldn’t stitch until a week of antibiotics and also there is visible cartilage hanging in the ear…AGAIN 2nite she re-tore her ear…I am at my witts end! I am so frustrated and upset I have NO IDEA how to deal with this. If you think u know anything or anyone I can talk to please let me know. Also in the mean time im not sure how to treat them after they fight. I am tending to baby Talia cuz shes so hurt but I feel its making Barn even more jealous and barn is normally my “baby” she gets whatever whenever…Im just not sure what to do and there is not even a chance I would EVER consider getting rid of one of them so dont even suggest that

THANK YOU WOLF_Q!!

First of all, when you seperate them after a fight, just calmly put them into different rooms that you can close off to give you time to tend to each of them without the other one seeing and getting jealous.

How old are each of the girls? Which was there first? You may not have had problems in your previous house because the dog you had there first was accepted as higher ranking over the female you got second. The second female coming into the house was in new territory and decided not to challenge the alpha roll. But now that you moved, they are back to equal ground so it sounds like Barney is challenging Talia more. It is very common for girls to draw blood when they fight. I can imagine your stress and frusteration!

I think your absolute best bet would be to talk to a behaviorist who can come to your house, observe what is going on, and give you suggestions. It definately sounds like leadership issues to me. They just need to re-establish their pack order. I could tell you some more things, but it'd be helpful to know how old they each are and when you got them both. I could also help you find a qualified behaviorist in your area.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Re: female dogs fighting PLEASE HELP!!!

Sorry Long:
    When Rocky was young, I sought the advice
    of a wise woman who ran an Akita rescue.
    She had kept at times 20 Akita's
    under one roof with out any fights.

1.) take anything away that the dogs might fight over.
    2.) never leave the dogs unattended.
    (separate the dogs when you are not home.)
    3.) Never let the dogs fight it out.
    Some dogs will not forgive or forget and will become bitter
    enemy's. If that happens you will need to
    separated them.
    (even for dogs that have lived in harmony for
    years can still become enemy's)

When you are home, let the dogs together under
    a watchful eye.
    Make sure you are in control.
    If you notice any action that can be the start of
    aggression towards one of the dogs, stop it
    before it happens.
    (eye contact, growl, pushiness etc.)

A few years back, Rocky tried to fight with Sheba.
    I was getting ready for work, and
    he wanted to be next to me.
    (sheba was already standing next to me)
    I never heard even a growl.
    2 seconds later I had to pry his jaws open from the back of her neck. (she was not hurt)
    I sent him to his crate for a time out.
    After I check Sheba over,
    (under my control)
    I than put them both out in different areas
    of the room in a down position.
    Rocky kept staring her down to challenge her
    and SHeba would not have eye contact with him.
    When he tried to challenger her, I nipped
    it in the bud. 24 hours later Rocky had already
    forgotten the incidence but Sheba would not
    look at him for another 24 hours.
    I was lucky and learned that dogs can fight
    over anything. especially jeolousey!
    I did separate them while I was not home for awhile
    because of this incident and later on when Sheba hurt
    her neck. Rocky was young and was challenging
    Sheba for Alpha position.

THey never had a bad fight, and Sheba gave Rocky
    her Alpha spot on her own.
    (I still notice he will do little things to her to show
    his position)
    They have not had any type of fight for 3.5 years.
    And I still am carefull not to leave anything around that
    they might fight over and I try to make sure
    he knows that I am boss. (sometimes he pushes it) lol

I hope your pups will forgive eachother.
    I would have been heart broken if I had to
    separate my two.
    I wish I had better advice for you but I am not an
    expert.

Aly gave you very good advice.
    Last edited by KYS; 09-10-2004 at 10:23 PM.

----<---<--<{(@

Thanks for the quick response...talia we had first she is 4 yrs old she is very shy with people but when it comes to other dogs she can tend to take charge..barny came next and she is also about 4 we found her on the street and kept her so we dont know her background but she also is VERY protective of her things like toys but MAINLY my stuff..shoes, socks my attention etc..I love them both and spoil them both BUT barn sleeps on the bed every nite she pretty much does as she pleases and i dont stop he cuz shes so cute( I KNOW its terrible!!) I have never been good at discipline !! please any more info would be great...so far i have been reading some things that have sort of helped. as we speak tey are both laying in bed an everytime talia growls i stop petting her and say NO...so far so good. barn doesnt usually growl she just is find one minute the next tearing her sister apart..thanks again

THANK YOU WOLF_Q!!

KYS thank you too and it was good advise i am writing all this down and using it all tomorrow...so far talia seems to be able to forgive i fear tha if it goes much longer thuogh she wotn especailly after such a bad fight like today and yesterday..thanks and ill keep u all posted.. any mroe info from anyone will help

THANK YOU WOLF_Q!!