Thread: bald patches on Katie, help!

bald patches on Katie, help!

Today when I got home from school, I was petted the dogs. I noticed Katie has 2 bald patches. One is on her side, and the other is by her tail.

What could have caused this? Her bladder meds? (though I'm not sure if she's still on them, no more accidents!) Could it be the fact she getting older? Or I've seen her itching alot, my mom said allergies, but i don't think so.

Need some opinions, as i'm a bit worried. Thanks.

BTW, Today Elvis got a Haircut! It looks adorable! He all shaved, and he's goofy looking.

It could be a side effect of her meds (check with your vet on that one), and they could be due to her having an irritation and scratching, and biting, and worrying it til the hair got rubbed off. Are they just bald, or do they look like a sore? If they look like a sore, they could be hot spots. But I'd call your vet and see if it could have something to do with the medication.
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

It could be almost anything. Side effect from the meds, stress, allergies, mange, ringworm, hot spots, etc etc etc. The vet can do some quick tests to rule certain things out. I'm sure its probably not mange or ringworm or anything like that so don't get too worried yet. I'd say to just give the vet a call and let them what is going on.

I hope Katie is okay!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Thanks, it could be very well her meds. I'll ask my mom about it.

I took pictures of her 2 bald spots:

On the side

By her tail, looks like she was itching it

Thanks for the advice

I'm no expert, but they look like hot spots to me.

oh no! it really could?

is it treatable?

I just did I search and I think it is, because:

Dogs most susceptible to hot spots are those with heavy coats and histories of allergies, ear infections, flea infestations, irritated anal sacs, and grooming problems such as hair tangles and mats, but any dog can develop this infection. Dogs in warm, humid climates may develop hot spots when they shed their undercoats if the dead hair is trapped next to the skin, and dogs with behavior problems may mutilate themselves by licking and thus encourage an infection to become established

Katie has a heavy coat, and has a history of allergies, it has also been very hot this past week because we didn't have a/c and she was panting and licking herself.

so it could be it

I had this link saved, Amber.. it might help a little bit.

http://www.adoptagolden.com/k9stuff/...er/hotspot.htm

What kind of shampoo do you use? I know there are shampoos out there that help prevent/contain hot spots. We use "earthbath", and on the bottle it says, "Soothing itch relief of Hot Spots and Skin Conditions". If you're interested, here's the link. http://www.earthbath.com/ I've been pretty happy with it for my two.

Good Luck with Katie!

That link was helpful Thanks Julie.

We use main n tail on the dogs, but yesterday we got a new shampoo made from Hartz. It's called All-purpose shampoo, gently Cleans & conditions with aloe.

But I think we'll have to get the shampoo you posted for Katie.

Sending hugs to Katie that she is fine.

----<---<--<{(@

thanks!

I told my mom about that shampoo, and were gonna look around for it here.