Thread: potty problems

potty problems

My year old male kitty started using the corner of my basement as a potty. He has a litter box, and will urinate in it, but seems to have bowel movements in the corner from time to time. We keep the litter box cleaned regularly. It seems to happen most when we've been gone, or there is some change in his routine. The first time we noticed was after our vacation, and had a friend come to care for the kitties. He had not made a mess again until we took him for a trip to school to visit the kids on pet day. I have used cleaners to get rid of the smell so that he won't go back to the corner, and have tried to make the corner inaccessible. Does this sound like a behavioral issue, like he's pouting? Any suggesstions on how to handle this?
    Last edited by anniew_slp; 09-06-2004 at 03:34 PM.

Yes, it could be behavioral in the fact that cats like routine. So changes in his routine might upset him.

My first suggestion, (after keeping his routine steady) would be a 2nd litter box (if you only have 1). Some cats choose to pee and poop in separate areas and he may just decide he'd like to do this.

My 2nd suggestion is a vet visit to rule out illness. If he is not feeling up to par, this could cause unwanted behavior. Sometimes a cat will associate the litter box with the pain they might be experiencing.

my cat use to crap and pee on the floor in my house but thats because of he was a barn cat, but he got use to a litter box, anyway Cats are very human like, they get mad and happy just like us, if there mad at us (like leaving) they will crap on the floor,