Thread: Liver Shunt

Liver Shunt

I am new to this web-site and I think it is absolutely wonderful. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with liver shunts in cats. After numerous and traumatic tests my 21 month old cat has been diagnosed with a liver shunt. She is currently on lactulose twice a day and we have been told that she will be on this medication forever. We were also told (and are devestated by this) that this congenital condition will greatly reduce her life span. I am hoping that one of the many cat lovers on this site have heard or experienced this kind of situation. I am specifically wondering if any one knows how common mis-diagnosis of shunts are. We are still not convinced she has a shunt contrary to the test results - it's probably denial but our kitty is so special we just can't deal with losing her any time soon.

Please let me know.

Thanks!!

I found very little on this in my initial search, maybe because what I did find said it is extremely rare. If no one else responds, you might want to do a search for "feline liver shunt" and see if you have better luck than I did.

Yes, do more research and/or get a second opinion. When my Daisy (6 yrs old) had a lump, the diagnosis only fit about 80% of the symptoms. Even on the day she died, there was something that didn't make sense. Now, with that old 20/20 hindsight, I truly wonder if we had the right information. We will never know.

Don't hesitate to ask questions for your beloved fur friend!

Thank you for your responses. I have done a lot of research feline liver shunts and I am not fully convinced that my cat has one. She displays only a few of the symptoms that correspond to a liver shunt. I will definitely look inot getting a second opinion.

Thank you again.

Liver shunts in cats/ Kitty Peon

Hi kitty. I just found this website because my 6 month old cat has been diagnosed w/liver shunting. Devastating to say the least. I hope your kitty is better; it is three years since your post. Cats of your cat's age are unlikely to have shunting as it is usually found in very young cats. I was told that mine was an oddity at 6 months. However, there are always the exceptions. I have looked everywhere and am convinced my little Pinky does have shunting w/in his liver...we did surgery when an ultra sound seemed to indicate an outside of the liver shunt but, it turned out not to be the culprit. He is also on lactolase and cannot consume ANY protein at all...very difficult. Good luck to all who find this terrible diagnosis....