Thread: Neutering a 2 year old cat -

Neutering a 2 year old cat -

I am thinking about taking my friends cat when they move away. He is a delightful 2 year old male but he has only recently been neutered. Will he continue to "spray" to mark territory and so forth now that he has been "fixed"? Is there a critical period for neutering? Or will that type of behaviour cease? What can I expect? He has had kittens. Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.

When we got Butter, at the age of 3-4 (we don't know), he was not neutered. I had it done immediately, and I have NEVER had a problem with him spraying. Maybe he is an exception to the rule, but hopefully your new cat will be just fine.

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    Rudie likes to 'pretend' he's doing it, but there's never anything coming out. Before he was neutered, he was marking all over the house. I think in his case, it's simply a habit.
    I know many neutered male cats continue their marking, much to the discomfort of the owners.

Spencer's got it!!! Territory is the key - if he needs to compete he may continue to spray. I've known a lot of people who have this problem and the only resolution was to make him an outdoor cat or a single pet cat.

Do you know if your friend's cat accepts other cats currently? If it is an only cat and doesn't tolerate others now, it likely will continue acting out when its neutered - and might have a spraying problem...

I adopted a 2+ yr old tom from the pound and he was fixed immediately - we never had any problem at all with spraying or territory. I was very lucky. I hope this goes well for you too!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France