Thread: Vaccine-Induced Sarcoma

Vaccine-Induced Sarcoma

My 6 year old Daisy (tuxedo DSH) has just been diagnosed with Vaccine-Induced Sarcoma. She has a large lump (tumor) growing between her shoulder blades. Much research is being done, but the general medical opinion is that cats vaccinated in that area can be prone to tumors.

There are many online sources of information about this form of cancer. Every cat owner should be aware of the recommended vaccination sites on their cat. Don't avoid those annual shots, but be sure that the shots are given in the locations recommended to avoid this possible tumor growth.

The future for Daisy is dim, even with surgery or other treatment. But,you can help your beloved cats by learning about this important cat health issue!

One of my cats has to have her vaccines "split" meaning she gets her rabies shot a number of weeks after all her other shots. She had a reaction a number of years ago, and now has a small lump between her shoulder blades. I do not think it's cancerous as it has not changed in size over these years. The vet always checks it when she goes in for her checkups. [ She has just got a clean bill of health after a geriatric blood panel, and urinalysis. She is 14].
    We may have caught this in time from it developing into the vaccine induced sarcoma that TheAntiPam's cat Daisy has, or something similar. I certainly hope so.
    But when I went in for the blood panel, my vet told me that there is now a "recombinant vaccine?" available that does not use the adjuvant that the previous vaccines used, and that she may be able to have her vaccines all at once again. I don't know any more about it at this time, but what I understood is that this new type of vaccine may minimize the risk of this type of reaction. I suspect it is the adjuvant that causes the cancer. (If anyone really KNOWS, please let us know?)
    Hope I haven't rambled too much here....

All the best to your Daisy, TheAntiPam.

Update on the Daisy story:

Daisy was helped to the end of her fight with cancer on the day after Thanksgiving. Her lump had grown very large, and was full of fluid. The vet drained the fluid (like draining a blister, not "yucky" at all) but the fluid came right back in a day or so. It was taxing all of her systems, and she was losing weight and becoming anemic.

Although the doctors gave us choices in treatement, I feel that avoiding surgery and other intensive treatment was right in this case. Her last days were not easy, but they were not filled with the stress of going to the clinic or being sick from strong medications. That was the best I could give her, I think.

Daisy was full of life until the end. She rests now in my garden, in a spot filled with sunshine and butterflies and hummingbirds.

Please remember to talk with your vet about vaccines. They save lives, but are not perfect. Even now, I have my other cats vaccinated, but not over-vaccinated. Daisy would want other pets to live long, safe lives.

[This message has been edited by TheAntiPam (edited March 24, 2001).]

A-Pam,

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your beloved Daisy. You were a good mom to her, and helped her to be comfortable as possible in her last days before going to the rainbow bridge. I know she felt loved, and also protected, and she must be proud as she sees you take your pain and use it to warn everyone who also loves their cats as you did Daisy, and protect them from this possible danger. Thank you, too, for letting us know, even if it was not the way any of us would have wished it to turn out.

May Daisy rest in peace.