Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor vs. Indoor

Outdoor vs. Indoor

I would like to address the issue of outdoor vs. indoor cats. Yesterday my heart sank when I saw a "LOST CAT" sign on the window of an apartment building on my block (I live on the northwest side of Chicago). The photo of the cat on the sign was of a gorgeous siamese mix that I had often seen roaming around outside. This cat was so beautiful, and I enjoyed seeing it whenever I encountered it. But I was also afraid for the cat, and the few other cats I have seen exploring the area on my block. Lately I had wondered why I hadn't seen it in a while. Then yesterday I saw the sign, and I thought, "Oh no!!". Ever since I had adopted my own cat over a year ago, I came to believe that NO cat should be allowed outdoors. All cats should be kept indoors where they will be much safer and healthier.

It just broke my heart to see that "LOST CAT" sign. It made me angry, too. I know that many of you may disagree with me, but it seems to me that to better protect your cat from premature death, from parasites and viruses, and from serious injury, it should always be kept inside!

I really hope that lovely siamese will somehow get back to its owner. I remember that the cat had a collar with tags, so that should help. It may actually be possible that someone else *took* that cat for their own because it was so beautiful. I may never know what happened to it. I would just die if I ever let my cat outside and she got lost. I just can't believe that it is ever okay to let a cat roam outside, even if its owners live in the country on a farm where there are fewer traffic hazards. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Many times I see cat photos on "Cat of the Day" that show the kitty outside. When I see those photos, I always think to myself, "I hope the owner keeps an eye on that kitty whenever it's outside."

I would like to ask all cat owners who currently allow their cats outdoors to end that practice. If they do want to let their cats have some space to explore outside, please, why don't you make sure you supervise them or keep them on a leash during "outdoors" time? But, honestly, I think it's much better for all cats to be "indoor" cats. Thank you for letting me express my opinion!

Hi Margaret ...
    We should keep our cats indoor .. but also we should sometimes let them go out to live their natural life .. to meet other cats .. to know the around area .. and maybe to have a nice time ..
    This makes your cat happy .. so if you love him/her really you have to sacrifice and let him/her go out ...

I'll put my 2 cents in worth too if I may. I agree wholeheartedly with Margaret. I have 4 'rescue' cats and they are all indoor cats. These cats were all at one time lost and came to the organizations from which I adopted them. Of the 4, only the oldest one makes any attempt to even go outside anymore; the other 3 run away from the door when it opens. I take her out, in my back yard only, on a harness and leash and am outside with her at all times. This happens maybe 5 times during the summer. Indoor cats generally live longer, healthier lives than outdoor kitties. This old girl is 14 y.o. and just got a clean bill of health from the vet!

I, too, agree with Margaret -- our cat is an indoor cat. In our neighbourhood, there is simply too much traffic and too many racoons for him to be safe outside. However, we would very much like to give him some (limited) 'safe' time outdoors, and taking him out on a harness is tedious (for both of us). Does anyone have any experience with building enclosed cat runs, or know of where instructions / ideas can be found on the net?

Thanks!

I agree with Margaret 100%. The bottom line is that your cat will live longer and be healthier. Who can argue with that? Isn't that what anyone wants for their pet? Both of my cats have NEVER been outside but sit on the windowsills when the windows are up and experience all the smells and sounds of the outdoors without the danger.

Better than plastic grocery bags are paper grocery bags. Mine will hide in it while the others take turns playfully pouncing on whichever cat is hiding in the bag! Plus there isn't the chance of suffocation as there might be with plastic bags.

Hey all,
    I agree 10,000% that cats should be kept indoors. There is no need for them to go outside. I'm glad to see most of you agree also

IT'S DANGEROUS TO ALLOW YOUR CAT TO GO OUTSIDE TO "MEET" OTHER CATS! Most cats that they would meet are feral, and carry some kind of illness that can be transmitted to your cat such as rabies and feline leukemia, plus they could catch several different kinds of parasites, such as fleas, ticks, mites & lice. Your cat could get involved in a fight that could cause serious injuries and possibly death!

Here are just a few things that your cat could encounter outside as well:
    1. Dogs
    2. Cars (DEADLY!)
    3. Feral cats
    4. A nasty neighbor (been there, done that)
    5. Diseases leading to possible agony/death
    6. Parasites
    Need I say more?...

I would also like to add, that in most places it is ILLEGAL to allow your pet to roam outside of your property (your house and yard) without having a leash on with the owner presently HOLDING the leash. Leash Laws DO apply to cats.
    Even if they didn't, you should think of your cats health. One of our kitties was let outside for 5 years, and when we receive her she had many illnesses and parasites that were both costly, and caused her a lot of stress.

Please, don't let your kitty outside, think of her health and keep her inside.

Well, that's just my 2 cents.
    Thanks for listening...err reading

SpencerTheLion:

Thanks so much for the info! Will be sure to check it out.

Laser pointer, huh? Never thought of that. Bet my cat would go nuts over that.

Flash lights and paper grocery bags are a huge hit around here

Hi guys...the cat shelter where I volunteer has "habicats" which are wire enclosures attached to the house with a "doggy door" leading from the house to the habicat. there's a company in Denver who actually makes them (hence the name) but I don't think they'd be too hard to construct.

I have friends in Connecticut who live out in the "country", supposedly safe from traffic..well, two of their cats were hit by cars and one was eaten by a fox...so much for the "simple" life...LOL.

------------------
    If a cat spoke, it would say things like, "Hey, I don't see a problem here!"

This is an interesting topic. Here in the UK, I think most cats are allowed outside, unless they live in city centres. I have noticed, whilst on holiday in America, that I hardly ever see cats outside. My cat, Sadie, has a cat flap, so she pops in and out into the garden during the day, but I always keep her safely in at night time, from about 9 pm. She doesn't wander at all, just enjoys sitting in the fresh air, watching bees and butterflies, and patrolling her "territory", but I do know lots of cats do wander and there is always a risk. I think the ideal would be a secure garden.

Hi everyone ...
    I tried to keep my cat indoor many times .. but he disagreed .. every time he was meawing and asking me to open the door for him ..
    When I see that he feels sad .. without thinking I open the door .. I love him very much and want him to be happy .. so I let him go out ...
    Don't you think that cats need to feel free ?
    It's right I have to care more about his health .. the only way to do this is to keep him indoor and I cann't do this ...
    I need your advice .. what I have to do ?
    Note : I cann't keep the door closed all the time ...

Margret,
    I think that cat's should be allowed out side. If you don't let them out then they can't run and expand there terratory. They should only be let out with a good amount of space and a close eye from the owner. They may only be let out for maybe 20 minutes a day but should get to be outdoors. If you want to leave your cat out for a longer time do what I did and make enclosed area, so she canrun and sleep in the sun.

[This message has been edited by britney06 (edited August 15, 2000).]

It has been very interesting reading everyone's comments/viewpoints... As Pieper's Mom mentioned, "habi-cat" structures look like a good way to give a cat an "outdoor" experience. I have seen a large habi-cat attached to someone's house and there were at least two cats lounging in it, looking like they were having a grand old time, getting some sun through the screens, and being able to see the sights and smell the smells. I think window sills are perfectly good, too. I agreed with those who wrote about making the indoors more attractive to cats than the outdoors. I can give my cat plenty of exercise inside, making her run and jump when I play with her and entertain her with toys (I think I would like to try the laser pointer!). If a cat is in the habit of going outside and you want to help it "quit", maybe just distracting it by engaging it in playtime would really help.

We have a screen-in porch off the back of the house....I put a large planter on the outside of one of the windows, which is just at cat eye-level...filled it with seeds, corn and other good things. The squirrels love to come and also some birds...and the cats sit on the other side of the screen, enjoying intimidating their "prey" ... of course, the squirrels could care less, at least once they yet used to the hairy critters staring and licking their chops...LOL...even in the winter they will go out there for a little sun if it's a warm day. I haven't been able to sit in my wicker chair since I got it!!!

------------------
    If a cat spoke, it would say things like, "Hey, I don't see a problem here!"