Thread: shedding

shedding

My indoor cat seems to shed in excess amounts compared to my other cats who are indoor/outdoor. My vet recommeded "lo-shed" spray, but it hasn't helped and no matter how often I brush her, there is just as much fur left behind. Does anyone know of something that will help? Thanks!

I would also be interested if anyone has any ideas about the shedding. I brush but still the hair is all over. I feed Eukanuba dry and Fancy Feast canned. I still love my babies and wouldn't give them up but it would be nice if someone has a solution for the shedding prlblems! Thanks

I'm also face this problem with my cat .. I don't know what to do .. I stop brushing him because I feel if I do he will loose all his hair
    I am sure if we know the reasons of this "shedding" we will find a solution ..
    I need your advice .. what I have to do ?
    THANKS ...

I have three cats, two are ragdolls and have bunny like fur... even though I don't have to brush them (because their fur is tangle free) they shed like crazy.. when I brush them I get handfuls of this fine fluffy fur..and I think how great this is they won't be eating it.. they eat alot of grass and throw up a lot of fur balls.. I don't think there is a solution for shedding, I take it as part of being a cat..and they seem to be able to shed at will, like when a person with black picks them up! IF there is a solution (other then shaving our babies) I'd like to know too...

...just to clarify things - are we talking about annual molting or extensive loss of hair? Unless any of us a lucky enough to be able to change the local climate I don't think we can do much about the molting; but extensive hair loss can be due to allergies and stress. My two tonkinese both regularly molt but don't produce a large amount of hair - however one of my two "lads" is a bit neurotic and his hair tends to "thin" when he is stressed by the usual things like not enough attention or other cats. I wonder if cats that live on the equator molt or if the semi-static temperature means they don't have to...?

Reduce Shedding

I saw a number of postings complaining of pets shedding. I have just come across a new collar that reduces shedding in most dogs and cats by up to 80%. I took the 37 day trial and found that my border collie was shedding at least two thirds less hair than before we used the smart collar. It truly does work. Go to www.smartcollar.ca and check it out.

I hope this helps!!!

Ken.

If your cat is throwing up hairballs often, consider using petromalt, laxatone, or another hairball remedy. Repeatedly thowing up can be dangerous to a cat. This is not something their ancestors did in the wild, as their diet included enough (fiber?) to keep the ingested fur going right through their systems. My vet said thowing up constantly can result in a torn diaphragm(?) which is fatal. I give petromalt once a week. It noticeably reduced the amount of hairballs.

As for the shedding, I too just consider it part of being a cat - a purring machine inside a fur factory. The factory just keeps working producing more and more.

A good diet and healthy skin in conjunction with frequent brushing will help with excessive shedding... what are you all feeding your cats??

facebook

If this is just the normal shedding (not abnormal amounts as was asked earlier), it's true that indoor cats will shed more than cats that go outdoors, ditto for dogs also. This is because the environment in the house is different than in the house and your heater runs in the winter which dries out the hair coat and skin, which can cause more shedding. A good quality food (not generic grocery store brands) will help some. However if that doesn't do the trick try Shed Stop . It's a food additive with Omega 3 oils in it to help keep the oils in the skin and hair. I personally have used this one and we also recommend it at our hospital. I have found with finiky cats that using a dropper and just squirting it in the mouth once a day was easier, but my cats are picky lol. You can buy Shed Stop at some pet stores and sometimes Wal-Mart, and some vets carry it also.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I like the lo shed spray, but you have to do it daily for the first few weeks.
    I also bought a new comb, it is called the shed ender(on ebay) and it is the BEST brush I have ever used! Try that out, I promise it is well worth the money!

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

You guys are all so nice with the shedding advice. I think I might try the Shed Stop for Abby.

But you should know that this thread is over six years old.

It was bumped up by someone who registered today and inserted a web site link into his post....
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyMom
    You should know that this thread is over six years old.

LOL I never even looked at the date on the original post. Silly me.

I hope the Shed Stop helps your kittes as much as it has helped mine and our clients kitties.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022