Thread: 1st time home alone

1st time home alone

My mom and my sisters just left to go to the circus and probably will not get home for 2-21/2 hours and I have to go to work in an hour. It will be Chico's first time alone here and I will have to put him in a crate and I am not too happy about that. I am afraid he will whine the whole time, and will not be happy with me when I return. Any thoughts/suggestions/comments???

Take Chico for a LONG LONG walk and romp outside. Race around a bit, tire Chico out and he won't have energy to fret (hopefully). A nice chewy might help while the time away. Don't worry, you will just get Chico worried if you are too. I know, easy for ME to say. Oh dear, hope I'm not too late with this post.

If you don't like crating, try getting an x-pen to keep your pup in or babygates to block off a room (the kitchen or living room) where he won't get into stuff. It'll give him more space. But, I think he'll be fine in his crate, probably just taking a puppy nap I agree, play with him A LOT before you leave, put him in his crate and give him a goodie (put milkbones and peanut butter in a puppy kong and freeze, or give him a greenie or somethin good like that). He should do fine! Dont worry.

oh, and we better get some pics of the new boy!

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

when you do get home, regardless of whether he's crated or not, don't make a huge deal about it. just come in, open the crate and take him outside to potty. give him a few minutes to get over the excitement of seeing you again (almost ignore him completely). and, then, love him. it's just best, from my experience, to not make a big deal of leaving or coming back. when i leave, i tell finn to go to bed, i close the crate, and, leave. i come home, open the crate, don't say anything, don't talk to him, hardly even make eye contact with him....i take him outside, let him pee....and, then we go in and he's usually calm by then. it used to take ten or fifteen minutes for him to chill, we're down to just a few minutes now. he doesn't jump on me at all anymore. it just makes the crate experience less traumatic. just time for bed, no big thing.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Thank you all so much for all of your suggestions..I only had about 15 minutes before work when i read some so we played pretty good for those 15 minutes and he was fine. My mom came home and let him out. Now I am home and he is asleep on my leg..goes for his first shots tomorrow!