Thread: Cat eats until he vomits

Cat eats until he vomits

Harrison Hairball is a 4 year old long hair siamese. He is very large, but healthy. From time to time (at least once a week), Harrison eats until he vomits. I have had him since he was about 6 weeks old and there has never been a food shortage. I have tried all kinds of different foods for him such as Eagle Pak, Iam's, Eukanuba, Sensible Choice, (No grocery store junk), and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Does anyone have any suggestions for poor Harrison?

------------------
    >^,,^< Kat

I have one cat with the same problem...and Pepper is a short hair. Especailly in the hot humid time of the year, she sheds a lot, but she is always cleaning herself,,hence the hairballs in the ""tummy"". She eats to get rid of the hair. I brush her daily now that it's hot outside, but it doesn't seem to help, she still does the same thing. Kind of like a habit she can't break....So I have just learned to live with it....I can't part with her...she is the sweetest cat I have ever had.
    I have another short haired cat,,not yet a year old, and I don't have that problem with Morris......Morris gets a bath every now and then while Pepper is always giving ""herself"" a bath. I have asked a similar question. It's just one of those things you are going to have to live with. Cleaning up a hairball now and then is not fun but I won't part with my black cat.I have tried all the hairball treatment foods on the market too as well as giving her the medicine the vet gave me,,but to no avail.
    Hang in there------you are not alone..

Hi SassyKat! My largest cat in the past has done that - only because he gulps the food - so I've tried flattening the food on the plate so it's harder to gulp it & also put a little less down at a time. It seems to work! Good luck. CASMEOW
    Originally posted by SassyKat:
    Harrison Hairball is a 4 year old long hair siamese. He is very large, but healthy. From time to time (at least once a week), Harrison eats until he vomits. I have had him since he was about 6 weeks old and there has never been a food shortage. I have tried all kinds of different foods for him such as Eagle Pak, Iam's, Eukanuba, Sensible Choice, (No grocery store junk), and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Does anyone have any suggestions for poor Harrison?

Originally posted by casmeow:
    Hi SassyKat! My largest cat in the past has done that - only because he gulps the food - so I've tried flattening the food on the plate so it's harder to gulp it & also put a little less down at a time. It seems to work! Good luck. CASMEOW
    Thank you for your information. Since I feed him dry food only, it will be a challenge to flatten the food, but if I add some moisture to it, I think that will be sufficient. Anything is worth a try! I just hate stepping in a large warm pile of chewed food! Anyway, thanks for the info. I will try it!

------------------
    >^,,^< Kat

Originally posted by vlr546111:
    I have one cat with the same problem...and Pepper is a short hair. Especailly in the hot humid time of the year, she sheds a lot, but she is always cleaning herself,,hence the hairballs in the ""tummy"". She eats to get rid of the hair. I brush her daily now that it's hot outside, but it doesn't seem to help, she still does the same thing. Kind of like a habit she can't break....So I have just learned to live with it....I can't part with her...she is the sweetest cat I have ever had.
    I have another short haired cat,,not yet a year old, and I don't have that problem with Morris......Morris gets a bath every now and then while Pepper is always giving ""herself"" a bath. I have asked a similar question. It's just one of those things you are going to have to live with. Cleaning up a hairball now and then is not fun but I won't part with my black cat.I have tried all the hairball treatment foods on the market too as well as giving her the medicine the vet gave me,,but to no avail.
    Thank you for your response to my question. I feed Harrison anti-hairball food and medication, PLUS brush him at least 3 times weekly. His problem is that he eats so fast sometimes, I think he overeats and therefore must vomit up the excess. I am going to try to flatten his food and make it more difficult to gulp and maybe prevent or slow this problem down. I really appreciate your response and hope that Pepper and Morris appreciate you as much as you appear to appreciate them! Cats are the greatest!

------------------
    >^,,^< Kat

I recently posted on the forum that my cat Romeo has just been diagnosed with diabetes. For a couple of years I noticed the same behaviour you are describing. Romeo would eat a lot and then throw up--once or twice a week. We feed him wet and dry food, so when we gave him the wet food we took away the dry food until we felt he had digested the wet. But this didn't always work. While he continued to eat a lot he started losing weight. The vet thinks this behaviour may have been the early stages of the diabetes. I know you said your cat is healthy, but it may be worth getting his glucouse checked just to be sure. Good luck!

Originally posted by Chris:
    I recently posted on the forum that my cat Romeo has just been diagnosed with diabetes. For a couple of years I noticed the same behaviour you are describing. Romeo would eat a lot and then throw up--once or twice a week. We feed him wet and dry food, so when we gave him the wet food we took away the dry food until we felt he had digested the wet. But this didn't always work. While he continued to eat a lot he started losing weight. The vet thinks this behaviour may have been the early stages of the diabetes. I know you said your cat is healthy, but it may be worth getting his glucouse checked just to be sure. Good luck!
    Thanks Chris for your reply. I went and had Harrison's glucose checked and it was normal. The vet doesn't know what to make of him doing this. He said it maybe a behavior thing. I don't know. I'm going to try to cut back the amount of food he is exposed to at one time and see if that doesn't cure him Again, thanks again for your reply.

------------------
    >^,,^< Kat

I have the same problem.....

Although he is not my cat, he came here and jumped through my window and man can he eat he will come 5 times in one night. But I noticed he came with a collar then the next time he came without a collar and then with a new collar another time he belongs to someone but I do not know who. He eats until he throws up he looks healthy though. At first I thought it was worms but then he does not look skinny like they would with worms. I do know to many sudden changes in your dog or cats diet causes diarrhea and upset stomach, and possibly vomiting you are suppose to add a little of the new food to his old food for a couple days then gradually add more each day until the old food is gone. Also do not let your cats eat chocolate, garlic or onions and grapes especially for dogs very bad for cats and dogs. You know like if you give them cooked food just use salt.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyKat View Post

------------------
    >^,,^< Kat

I have bought salmon oil capsiles ......

And put it in my cats food it helps her pass the fur balls. She sheds a lot of fur and i can brush but it seems there is no end to it. I suggest you also get a vitamin for cats fur. I think since I live in a area that has hot weather all year round she sheds a lot. Not like cats who live where it snows they only shed in the summer a lot. It could mean she lacks a vitamin in her diet that causes her to shed a lot. Also it would be good if you get some organic wheat grass seeds and grow them inside cause cats and dogs like to eat grass they use grass like we eat vegetables for fiber. And wheat grass is really good for them and also good for you. you can get a item that squeezes the juice out of the leaves and drink it for yourself. Google wheat grass and it will tell you what it is good for. I paid $15.00 for 15 pounds of organic wheat grass on-line. It sure is better for cats and dogs than regular grass. Like I said google it.

Quote Originally Posted by vlr546111 View Post