Thread: Dog refuses to eat dry food.

Dog refuses to eat dry food.

I have an english mastiff/shepard mix standing about half the size of a great dane, and even before having him fixed, he flatly refuses to eat dry dog food.

The story is, when my wife worked for a cab company, the company owners dog, (a small tan colored dog) went missing, and as the company owner went out looking for him, she came back with a stray, (thinking it was her dog), my wife told her that unless her dog grew an extra 3 feet in a few days, this dog was not hers, but the mastiff mix immediately took to my wife, and after 3 months of trying to find the owner (posting notices and notifying the local animal control) the owner never came forward, so we kept him, licensed him, had him fixed and got his shots, we tried calling him different names, until my stepson called him 'Rocko' and he immediately answered to that name.

We even tried not feeding him for 3 days, then gave him some dry food, all he did was sniff it, then whack is paw down on the side of the bowl, tipping all the food out, we even tried mixing 1/4 wet with 3/4 dry, he does the same, we even mixed gravy with the dry, and still he does the same, we tried all variaties of dry food, but still he does the same, unless his food comes straight from the can or it's of a meat kind, then he'll eat it.

Even though he weighed 110Lbs when we got him, he now weighs about 90Lbs.

It seems he will starve before eating dry food. Is there a way to get him to eat dry food? It's starting to cost a fortune in canned food. We don't want to give him up, as he's a great guard dog, not food aggressive, and lets my wife's nieces kids climb all over him, and has a temperament that would put a pitbull to shame.

My best advice would be to talk to a vet or if you have any other friends who own dogs, see if they can help. Sorry,can't think of anything else, I've never heard of a dog that would not eat dry food.

~ Highschool rox ur socks!! Highschool is so amazing and I love it. Hi to everyone on Pet Talk, I know I have not been on for a while, I'm just busy. All of you here that I know rock! Keep up being friendly, posting on Pet Talk and havin fun. Buddy sends kisses. ~

Rocko sounds like a wonderful dog!

Have you tried soaking dry food in chicken broth? Or even just softening it with water? It sounds like you've tried almost everything else. I'd try the chicken broth and see if you can get him used to dry food that way. Let us know what happens!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

SOOOOOO may people helped me on this site so I finally think I can help you.

My dog Luv Bug, a beagle mix, refused to eat dry food, it was at a severe point that if she didn't eat she would be too skinney, I tryed every thing!!!! But nothing.

But then one day at the dinner table she started to beg for food, I gave her some left over hambuger, and she ate it and asked for more!!!

Ever since then, what ever extra meat we have after dinner I give it to her and mix in her food, so maybe if you find a certain kind of meat your dog likes just mix it in with her food and put some water in it or gravy, if this doesn't work then you really need to go to the vet. I hope it works!!!!!
    P.S. You can also she that how much food you really do throw away!!!

Lots of Luck
    Luv Bug and owner

Originally posted by LuvBug03
    SOOOOOO may people helped me on this site so I finally think I can help you.

My dog Luv Bug, a beagle mix, refused to eat dry food, it was at a severe point that if she didn't eat she would be too skinney, I tryed every thing!!!! But nothing.

But then one day at the dinner table she started to beg for food, I gave her some left over hambuger, and she ate it and asked for more!!!

Ever since then, what ever extra meat we have after dinner I give it to her and mix in her food, so maybe if you find a certain kind of meat your dog likes just mix it in with her food and put some water in it or gravy, if this doesn't work then you really need to go to the vet. I hope it works!!!!!
    P.S. You can also she that how much food you really do throw away!!!

Lots of Luck
    Luv Bug and owner
    Rocko eats any other food but dry dog food, he'll even eat (given the chance) chicken including the bones, he eats our leftover steak bones, to put it simply, Rocko is a people food eater, but he can't live on leftovers and hope to gain his weight back to 110Lbs.

Sometimes (as a treat) he'll get a soup bone, to chew on at night, but I really would like him to eat dry food, he has constant access to fresh running water, so there's no problem with him drinking water with the food, but he just will not eat dry food.

Have you tried a sprinkle of garlic powder? I have a diabetic dog and he MUST eat on schedule. When he decided not to eat, I had to try several things. Tuna water was one thing I tried. Now I mix a tablespoon of plain yogurt with his dry food, sprinkle on a little garlic powder and some green vegetable (brocolli, green beans, etc.) I haven't had a problem since starting this. And all of the other dogs love it too.

Mary

I suggest like others already have that if nothing works for your dog, you take him to the vet- because a dog needs to eat dry food, and you're right- he won't put on too much weight without it. A vet will help you out.

Good luck!

~ Highschool rox ur socks!! Highschool is so amazing and I love it. Hi to everyone on Pet Talk, I know I have not been on for a while, I'm just busy. All of you here that I know rock! Keep up being friendly, posting on Pet Talk and havin fun. Buddy sends kisses. ~

I can assure you beyond doubt that a healthy dog will NOT starve itself to death. Your dog WILL eat dry food.

However, what your dog has learned is that he is stronger willed than you are, and that you will give in before he does. He has learned that you will always, without fail, give him something else if he refuses to eat dry food. Your dog has trained you well. In this little head game he is playing, you are losing.

Take your dog to the vet for a check up. If he is healthy, then put down a bowl of dry food and walk away. Period. Do NOT give in. If you do, the dog wins, you lose. He WILL eat it, in time.

You are the human, the owner, the alpha creature in the household ... or at least you SHOULD be. You get to decide what your dog eats, when he eats and how much he eats. Just do it. You will have a better behaved, healthier and happier dog for it.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I agree with twisterdog.... I used to have this dog that was starved to death , only given scraps of human food by it's previous owner.. and it just wouldnt' eat dry food , only wet. Just let them see you WON'T give them anything.. this dog used to beg for hours just to get some food from you, but if you let it know you are not going to give it any, then it will finally get hungry enough to eat it's dry food.. that's al.l.....

what twisterdog said,,, BIGTIME!!! This is a case of your will against his,,,,, When he gets hungry enuff,, that dry food will be looking mighty fine in no time.... Just make sure he drinks water,,,,, I am sure thats the problem,,, mr rocko is spoilt,,, But if youre not comfy with that,,, by all means.. consult your vet!

What brands of dry food have you been trying? Have you tried adding broth? Are his teeth; gums healthy?

Please dont feed him leftover steak bones. Any bones that are cooked can splinter.

Lori
    MAGDRL Volunteer
    ww.magdrl.org

I have a puppy and a almost four year old half lab and half golden retriver. They also would not eat dry dogfood, and then we got gravy train where you just add water to make gravy, and now they pratictly beg for it.
    Leah

have you tried to hand feed him the dry food? If he eats it out of your hand, gradually move closer to the bowl, eventually feed him right over his bowl, then in his bowl, then place the kibble in his bowl.

Try to feed him kibble pieces as treats.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

What kind of dry dog food are you trying to give him? Have you tried a human grade food such as Natural Balance, Nutro Ultra, Wellness, Canidae, Chicken Soup, Royal Canin?
    Roxanne

Don't take for granted...what may not always be!