Thread: Kitty Cold

Kitty Cold

Poor little noodles has been sneezing lately, and has a slightly runny nose. He's still eating fine, and hasn't had any other troubles.

Any recommendations? Vet isn't an option just this moment (We're actually out of cat food, and need to scrape up change to buy more, we're so broke) so I need to treat him at home. He's only been sneezing for a couple of days.

He's about 2 months old, and had a very rocky kittenhood.

Actually, we can afford cats just fine, thank you very much. We just happened to hit a rocky spot right now because my company hasn't had the money to pay me for the last month. They have cat food now because I did borrow money for that much. Borrowing money for catfood is easy...borrowing money for a vet is impossible.

Save your righteousness for someone who deserves it, I personally don't appreciate the attitude or the post.

If anyone has any advice OTHER than giving away my cats, I'd appreciate it.

Heather, I'm sorry you're having problems with little Noodles. Cats are expensive and we do the best we can to provide for them. My tabby girl Macy has had a cold for about a week, sneezing and wheezing. She likes to go outside on a long leash, but I'm keeping her inside because it has been so cold here in New York. When people have a cold, the doctor doesn't give antibiotics, just advice to rest and drink fluids. I guess it would be the same for a cat. If it is an upper respiratory infection, then Noodles would need to go to the vet, but I'm not sure how to tell the difference between a cold and URI in a cat.

I would like to gently say that I think Dragonchilde is doing what she feels is best right now for her kitten and is asking for any ideas and help. She doesn't need to be treated in such a manner and told she is being irresponsible when she just wants some advice.
    Especially for just a little sneezing.

If your kitten still has a good appetite and the mucous hasn't become thick and yellow then keeping his hydrated and eating and warm is the best you can do. Add water to his canned food and make it a bit soupy so he gets more water. If his breathing becomes more labored, the junk coming from his nose becomes thicker in consistancy and yellow and he starts getting goopy eyes then a trip to the vet would be warrented. At that point it is a definate infection and must be treated with antibiotics. I am sure if you are short of money most vets will work out a payment plan rather than allow a kitten to suffer. Especially if it is only a temporary thing.

Good luck with the kitten. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Denyce

He isn't getting any worse, just sneezing, and a little bit of a runny nose. Lord knows he runs around like a little maniac, attacks everything that moves, and eats like a horse.

So far, since he isn't losing any weight, and is eating and drinking just fine, he'll be okay until we can afford to take him to the vet.