Thread: Allergies???

Allergies???

Well, Miss Hallie has been a very ESPENSIVE kitty lately. She had her usual yearly checkup---and just before that she swallowed a small bell! Fortunately it seemed to have "passed" before her vet visit....an X-ray showed no blockage and no evidence of the bell. She will not be playing with any toys with bells...

She had to go back about 2 weeks later. She had scabs under her chin where she had scratched and she had scratched a 2inch square on her side down to the skin and also had scabs there. she had a steroid shot to keep from scratching...This is the third go round with scratching and scabbing. The vet thinks she has allergies but we don't to what. Hallie does not have fleas or ear mites. so the usual supects are out. Does anyone have any suggestions???

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Maybe she's allergic to one of the ingredients in her food? Many cats can be allergic to fish, and other types of food. Maybe try her on a lamb and rice, or venison (yuck Bambi) or duck (yuck Daffy) based food for a while and see if she stops itching.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

This sounds very reminiscent of my RB Lola. She was a stray I found as a kitten, and I had her for about a month or so, when I noticed this bumpy rash all over her chin, and it was itchy cause she scratched all the time. I finally figured out she was allergic to her food dish!!! Of all things! SO try switching her food dish to one made out of another material.

Good luck!

Are you using a plastic food dish? If so I would change to a cermaic or glass dish. Often times cats who use plastic will get a rash under their chin because plastic harbors bacteria.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Thanks for your help! Hallie has not used a plastic bowl in a long time since I've heard many stores about kitties that have bad reactions. She willl probably have to have a change in diet...

Not to sound like a commercial for Nutro food, but my dog, Nicki is allergic to many foods, and we found Nutro to be the best for her - they use all natural products and the ingredients are the GOOD stuff, no corn, etc. Switching to Nutro has kept my alergy vet visits down drastically!

Here's the link to their website
    Nutro Food

You can learn about their products and sign up for a great program where you buy so many bags and get one free, and they send you a coupon book.

maybe herself?

My aunt has a cat Molly, and she started deveoping scabs all over her body, and drove herself crazy by scratching all the time. When my aunt took her to the vet, they said it was that she was allergic to her own fur. They also gave her steroid shots, benadryl and some cream to rub on the really bad spots. (I also know that they told her to start washing Molly in johnson and johnson baby shampoo because its gentle on her fur but takes off the excess scabes so Molly wouldn't be so tempted to scratch(it doesn't burn)Anyways, hope this helps a little Good luck with your kitty xoxoxo

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Miss Julie is sneezing...

she doesn't have any nasal drippies or runny eyes...but she has been sneezing a lot today. She went outside on her leash for a little walk around the yard two days ago...and she had her vaccine shots last Wed. I wonder what has her sneezing. She will play but she isn't quite as spunky as usual. I'm probably being a worry wort...right?

Re: Allergies???

Originally posted by halliecat
    ... She had scabs under her chin where she had scratched and she had scratched a 2inch square on her side down to the skin and also had scabs there. ... Does anyone have any suggestions???
    Miss Mocha Bean went through this about 4 years back... The carpets in the house had just been cleaned, and the former renters had used Carpet Fresh carpet deodorizer... we no longer use it and problem has been solved.