Thread: What is Normal blood sugar levels in cats?

What is Normal blood sugar levels in cats?

Hi guys --

Do any of you know what range represents normal in blood sugar levels for cats?

A friend was told by her vet (!? ) that no one knows this. This seems very unlikely to both of us, but so far my searchs for this info haven't been productive. Was hoping some of you may have come across this info already.

Thanks.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Much like humans - about 65 - 135 mg/dL for a non-diabetic cat. The goals to attain for a diabetic cat range from 100 - 300 mg/dL.

Thanks, Leah!

I KNEW someone here would know the answer to that one!!!

You are so COOL to know that right off!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Leah, you out there?

My friend is, so to speak, from the 'Show Me' state to a certain extent. Do you know of any place in a text or cited by a vet or something where this is documented that I could direct her to?

Sorry to be troublesome [but succeeding anyway!]

Sorry this took so long - your friend is right, there's not much authority on this stuff. The 100-300 range was easy to find, the normal levels took a lot more searching! Here's some sites I found:
    http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/harry/bgguide.html
    http://nmnm.essortment.com/felinediabetes_rjdr.htm

Surprisingly, none of the larger vet school or clinic web pages had the exact figures.

Maybe because "normal" would vary depending on too many factors. Humans test their sugars upon rising in the morning, when it should be 65-110. They also may test right after a meal, when it may be up to 150, or an hour after a meal when it could be as high as 200. But these would all be considered "normal".

But if you throw out a generalized statement like "normal can be as high as 200" then it tends to sound like a fasting blood sugar taken first thing in the morning can be as high as 200, when in fact that is way to high for a fasint BG.

Of course, you have my curiosity up. Why does your friend want to know this?

Her cat was diagnosed as diabetic, but several other things the vet has said and done has left her questioning just about everything he says.

I believe she now has found a new vet, but she wasn't able to answer her questions on levels either...

Thank you so much for researching these sites. My favorite search engines weren't too helpful this time. Blessings on you and yours!

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: AmberLee ]

For humans, 80-120 is the "normal" range. As for cats...that's a good question! Have to go back and read Leah's posts. I have a vet appt. tomorrow. (yes, I'm finally getting spayed ) Actually, I mean Cody is going to the vets' and I'll ask him!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Sandra inadvertently brought up a good point - there's really no firm consensus on what "normal" is - it varies on the source - ADA says one thing, AMA says another, etc. Even the meter manufacturers can't agree - my glucometer states 70-110, my exactech says 65-120.

Diabetes is so common in cats any vet should have at least most of the common answers.

What am I talking about? All you have to do is take a peek at the diabetes board I post to to know that in fact, medical personnel are shamefully unknwledgable about this disease!

Sheesh!

Leah and all,

Thank you from both my friend and me. She's compared her cat's symptoms prior to the diagnosis with what the websites say and she is fairly convinced that that her cat (Kitkit) was misdiagnosed. Kitkit's health has been rapidly getting worse until she started investigating and reducing his insulin. He's starting to stabilize, finally. She's been so worried.

I told her what a great site this is and I hope she joins. She would benefit from the camaraderie and Kitkit from the advice, I think!

Thanks again.

P.S. I also am diabetic and was interested in the board you mentioned. Could you give me more information in 'Beyond Pet Talk'? Thanks!

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: AmberLee ]