Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banning Pitbulls:(

Banning Pitbulls:(

Ottawa is thinking of banning Pitbulls! I know so many Pit bulls that are the biggest sweet hearts!!! They just have a bad rap. Thats so mean! Any dog is capable of attacking. Not just Pit bulls!

What does everyone think about this possible ban?

edit: Just found out that it was all of Ontario.
    Last edited by dogs_4_me; 09-01-2004 at 10:01 PM.

I HATE the idea! I have never met a mean pitty, I have met a lot of super nice, friendly ones though. I wish I could e-mail someone telling them how I and a lot of other people think about their idea

It's so sad that they have to pick on this certain breed. Just because there are so many inhumane & cruel humans that train these animals to be vicious. There are so many sweet, kind, & lovable dogs that are going to be put down due to this......what a sad, SAD world we live in!!!!!

I can't even begin to say how much I despise such breedism.
    Pit Bulls are my favorite breed, always will be, they're wonderful animals -- treated properly and raised properly.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I found this site about all the dog banning they did across Canada, I haven't found one for the USA though.
    http://www.goodpooch.com/BSL/cdnbsl.htm
    I hope the link works for those of you who want to see it. i think pitties are Great dogs if raised in a good home just like any other breed.

Its so horrible. I have yet to meet a Pittie that doesnt run up and lick your face!!! If there trying to ban all dogs that 'attack' then they there wouldnt be anydogs left! I mean every dog can attack someone if trained or brought up that way. Its not just Pitt Bulls!

*sigh* Sooo many ignorant people causing problems for responsible pet owners and their lovable pooches.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

How terrible!!! What about those poor people who have loving pitties as family pets...!?! Do they just expect them to give up a member of the family???

BTW- who would make a email adress like this

the*only*pit*bull*death*in*canada*@good*pooch.com !?!?!

How stupid!

Re: Banning Pitbulls:(

Originally posted by dogs_4_me
    Ottawa is thinking of banning Pitbulls! I know so many Pit bulls that are the biggest sweet hearts!!! They just have a bad rap. Thats so mean! Any dog is capable of attacking. Not just Pit bulls!

What does everyone think about this possible ban?
    What most people don't understand is that the banning of pitbulls is an attempt to stop the dog fights and the other nefarious things that go with it. It's not intended to stop good people who don't fight their dogs from having them, but that's an unfortunate side effect of their attempts to stop the heinous fighting that we all abhor. Doesn't mean I agree with banning any breed, but that I understand what their intentions are behind the banning. It’s kind of the one bad apple spoiling the lot thing. It’s always a few bad ones that ruin it for everyone else.

I love pits and good pit owners. But there are too many young men (around here anyway) who want them as “status symbols” and do not give their dogs the respect, attention, and training that this breed needs. IF you own a pit, you have a responsibility to the dog, especially, to respect its strength, intelligence, and it’s heritage.

I have no doubt that if other strong, big, fighting dogs were as prevalent as pits, there would be more bans on those breeds also.

I love pit bulls too. My cousin has one named Xena and she's great.

I think this is the kind of thing that people read about pit bulls that scares them. Sorry dogs_4_me, I am not trying to threadjack, it was just way too relevant not to link it.

Acording to the website about laws in Canada there are some places that concider even Rotties dangerous! Sigh, stupid people are ruining the reputations of animals whos only disire is to serve their human well! My parents dobie, Max was going to be put down because he was concidered a vicious dog. About the only vicious thing about him is the fact that he is big and has a big set of teeth! Otherwise, he is as gentle as can be! Personally, I think the only ban on anything anyone should think about is a ban on morons owning any dog. I think the only licence needed for animals is the owner to pass a pet ownership stupidity test.

Breed banning is so stupid! But dogfighting is even worse I think. as micki76 said, it's probably to prevent dogfighting. It's horrible that it has to come to that though - I'm sure there are other ways to stop dogfighting!

Oh and look at this law, from the link Toller 42 posted:

"City of Vaughn also automatically considers Staffordshire Bull Terriers and American Staffordshire Terriers to be aggressive UNLESS they are registered with either the Canadian or American Kennel Clubs."

what?! so regestering them makes them non-aggressive?

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

Originally posted by wolfie
    Oh and look at this law, from the link Toller 42 posted:

"City of Vaughn also automatically considers Staffordshire Bull Terriers and American Staffordshire Terriers to be aggressive UNLESS they are registered with either the Canadian or American Kennel Clubs."

what?! so regestering them makes them non-aggressive?
    I think that maybe the city thinks that pitties that are registered are actually from reputable breeders. I don't think the people that breed pits for dogfights are actually going to take the time and register them. They only care about making money. And also, the city is probably just trying to prevent backyard breeding of pitties, which is probably where a lot of dogfighting pits come from.
    That's just my opinion about that... but who knows..

Originally posted by BCBlondie
    I think that maybe the city thinks that pitties that are registered are actually from reputable breeders. I don't think the people that breed pits for dogfights are actually going to take the time and register them. They only care about making money. And also, the city is probably just trying to prevent backyard breeding of pitties, which is probably where a lot of dogfighting pits come from.
    That's just my opinion about that... but who knows..
    Exactly.

I think banning some dog breed is just stupid...
    I know in some places - when dog (not pit bull)attacs people no one's writing it in newspapers or so, when some kinf of pitbull attacs - then all magazines are writing about that.. That';s because people thinks all pitbulls are aggressive.. That's stupid..

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)