Thread: wireless users

wireless users

For some reason, this morning when I started up my computer, it wasn't working correctly. When I checked the connection, it said my signal strength was very low, which it never is. I looked closer, and noticed it said "connected to Motorola". Our system is linksys. I then connected it to linksys, and it was fine. Now, it's showing another one, linksys-g.

Is this because someone close to my house has a new wireless setup and my computer is getting their signal??

And if that is the reason, why would it immediately connect to the one that is NOT in my house, and not mine??

And, if that is the reason, how to I get it to stop, and only use my own connection?

I'm pretty computer illiterate, so if anyone knows how to fix this, I would appreciate it.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Hmmm....I think I might call my ISP. Are you encrytped?

Originally posted by Cataholic
    Hmmm....I think I might call my ISP. Are you encrytped?
    You know what? You're right. I just remembered that a little warning popped up the other day saying that there was an ISP similar to mine on my system--thanks for the memory jog!!

I used to have that happen all the time. You need to be encrypted so that you are not getting other peoples wireless and they cant use yours!

I have a wireless connection and have had absolutely no problems with it.

However, your post is a wake up call.

Could you enlighten me on what you did to solve the problem?

Thanks a bunch.

I use wireless, but it's not encripted only because for anyone to really be able to use it they have to be sitting in your driveway, so I'm not worried. But sometimes it's goes all wonky, and I have to go in and adjust the settings, ie. change the channel etc. The way to do that is to type in your IP addy in your browser and a page with all your router info should come up. Go into wireless settings or something like that, and change the broadcast channel. My router is Linksys too, and when I've called them they actually recommend that the security feature is turned off. Also, change the NAME of your connection to somethine original (default is linksys) so you know for sure it's yours. (My name is Bob hehe)

ALso, go into control panel to your Network Connections, open up the properties for your wireless Network Connections, Click the Wireless Connection tab, and make sure that YOUR connection (ie. linksys, Bob, etc) is the ONLY one in the list under Preferred Networks. If it is NOT the only one, REMOVE the one you don't want, and refresh the AVailable Networks.

Long and confusing, I know... but hopefully it may help.
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

I have wireless. In my neighbour hood, people can be using it as far as 5 blocks away--so that means they can also be getting your stuff. When i got mine encrypted, the computer tech said that 57 people were using my wireless regularely for about 2 months.

Thanks for the advice everyone--I'm on my way to work right now, but I'll work on this when I get home.