Thread: Litter Sitting

Litter Sitting

I noticed that my cats at times like to (just) sit in the litter box. They can sit there for an hour or more. In pet stores, I also noticed this kind of behavior as well. I just wonder why cats do this. I would have thought that they wouldn't like sitting in a litter box as it is dirty and it is a place they use as a toilet, basically.
    Any idea why? Just want to know.
    Thanks,
    Cin

I have seen the cats in places like PetsMart do that and figured it was the only thing that they could be sort of "inside of" (we all know cats feel they absolutely must be inside something ). I don't have any thoughts as to why your cat would be doing it at home though. Maybe you could put a box of some sort near the litterbox or even a paper bag from the grocery store. That might distract them from the litterbox and maybe they might find that sort of place more appealing.

I fostered a cat that slept in the litter box! He would only sleep in a clean one, once it was used he would go elsewhere to snooze. I never did figure out why, but he was a funny guy anyway - in fact, his name was Chulo which in Spanish means clownish or droll. He was not at all nervous - very laid back. Go figure!

Cats also like fragrant-free places so perhaps this is comforting for a scared/nervous kitty - somewhere without scents?

I remember one day, a couple of summers ago, it was unbearably hot in my apartment. My first cat, Saima, would sometimes sit in her litter box (which she never does). I assumed she did that because it felt cool to her (she also tried hanging out in the cabinet under the kitchen sink). I felt so bad for her, and I was so uncomfortable, I went to Sears and bought an air conditioner that very day.

My little cat Clyde loves to just sit in his litter box, especially when it has just been cleaned. I have even caught him asleep in there.
    He has a toy that he just loves, the odd thing is that his favorite place to play with it is in the litter box. Now I make sure that he is in another room when he has it, because he makes an awful mess otherwise.

My cats also loves things that are dusty. They love to explore the neighbouring building site and return home white with dust...it's quite cute because they both look like ghosts - although you just have to touch them and literally, clouds of dust billow into the room.

My cat loves to sit in the turtle cage. There is a lot of sand in there so you can imagine why he likes it. I don't allow him to be in there, but when I'm refilling the food and water, I leave the room and come back and there is Zezu, pawing at the sand.

"Zeeeeezooooooo, get out of there."

------------------

Igor Inc. (c)2001

I asked my vet about this and she said that it maybe a habit. Cats from a pet store or a small cattery may want/like to sit in a litter box since they do not have their beds. Cats like to snug into something. Well, they do have their beds now! I also have air-con on most of the time. The thing is I have four cats. My first two cats did not sit in a litter box. When I got my 3rd and 4th (Ally and Jig Saw), Ally likes to sit in a litter box. Then the other three later followed. Well, it is still a mystery to me!

Maybe you could get some cheapy litter boxes (or some other container close in size) and put a comfy pillow or a stack of old linen in the bottoms to make nice beds for them.

Originally posted by 4 feline house:
    Maybe you could get some cheapy litter boxes (or some other container close in size) and put a comfy pillow or a stack of old linen in the bottoms to make nice beds for them.
    Great idea! I'll try that.

i just got a new 5 week kitten not to long ago & the ohter day i walked in where she was & she was sleeping in her litter box! i just picked her up & moved her