Thread: Is that millet fresh?

Is that millet fresh?

Yesterday, I visited a pet store. The birdies got some new toys, and I was going to get them some spray millet.

They had it in the bag, or you could get some from a tub. This tub was not sealed (it had an open top) and some of the millet seemed stale.

I picked 2 of them... I tried to pick the best ones I could. Usually, I get it in the bag when it looks fresh. The tiels just love it!

Well, the stuff in the bag did not look fresh. It looked very discolored. I was not used to it looking like that.

How am I supposed to tell if the spray millet is fresh? My birdies need the best. Are they spoiled yet?

Thanks!

btw- I will try to get some new pictures of the birdies and their toys soon.

Hmmm, I think my cockatiel book said not to get them anything from unsealed, open bins because they are so susceptible to bacteria.

I've never had a bird though (hopefully will soon!!!!!!!), so maybe someone else can tell you better.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Well seeds are dry, so I wouldn't think they'd have bacteria, but I know.......the ones in the bin DON'T look fresh. I've never gotten the open millet for my birds...I only get the packaged one. If you're not comfortable with it, don't feed it to them. Instead, put it outside for the wild birds. They'll love it.

I haven't heard of the bacteria issue, so I'm not sure about that. But I always fed my birdies the "fresh" instead of the pre-bagged. I knew that the store got a fresh shipment in every few days of the "fresh" stuff; but who knew how long the bags sat there.

Interesting thread, and I'm curious as to what other birdie owners think.

That's wierd, there's a pet store I go to for the birdies millet that has it in an open bin and its always much fresher and nicer than what I see in bags.

They do bird breeding, so I'm assuming they sell a lot of it.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I found in my book where it talks about it.

When purchasing a formulated diet, buy sealed packages rather than loose food from bulk bins. Many avian diseases are carried by dust or are passed in the air. Food that has not been exposed to air is safest for your bird, especially if that air has had other birds in it!

Taken from Cockatiels for Dummies by Diane Grindol
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

That's good to know, thanks Aly!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Thanks, Aly!

I picked up some millet that was in the bag today. I know the birdies missed their treat.