Thread: My cat is having seizures

My cat is having seizures

Last week my cat Bill had a seizure during the night. It woke me up. He had violent spasms causing his whole body to roll over and over. When this ceased, I petted him to calm him down. After a few minutes he was fine. The next seizure that I noticed occurred about a week later. This time I noticed him having a less severe spasm and looking around the room in a dazed state. His heart was pounding fast. I petted him until he seemed to calm down and this time he did not go into more violent convulsions. Again, after a few minutes he was OK.

Has anyone experienced this with their cat? Does anyone know what may be causing his seizures? He is scheduled for a vet appointment this week.

Catherine - You must get this baby to a vet ASAP. I'm sure they'll have some meds to keep this from happening. My daughter's Persian also had a history of seizures. He would lose his bowels and pant and shake. It was really scarey watching this. One morning he had his final seizure which led to paralyasis of his back legs. My daughter was enroute to the vet when suddenly he lashed out at her face and tore her tear duct. My daughter had an operation that day and the cat unfortunately was put down. I'm sure that if you get your kitty looked at ASAP he will definately be OK with medication.

Yes, I agree with Purrley...let us know how the vet appointment goes! I can imagine how scary that is!! The unfortunate thing is there are a multitude of reasons that could cause a seizure. Unfortunately a seizure is what killed one of my childhood cats. To this day we don't know what happened. He seized one day...and that was it! We just couldn't believe it!! It can be a UTI related event or something else, but I'm sure the vet will be able to help you. Keep an eye on your baby and please keep us posted!! Lots of hugs and scritches and love to you and your baby.

How is Bill? What did the vet say?
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

Originally posted by yorkster:
    <STRONG>How is Bill? What did the vet say?</STRONG>
    The vet examined Bill and did some blood tests on him. So far everything has turned up normal. I am to observe his behavior and keep a log of any thing out of the ordinary or any seizures he may have. If they continue to occur as frequently as they have (he had three in a period of ten days), then he will probably have to have some neurological testing to confirm or eliminate the possibility of a brain tumor or other abnormality.

So far Bill is doing fine and hopefully he won't have any more seizures.

I am hoping that Bill continues to be improve and be seizure free. It is so frightening to see an animal seizing. Poor little baby. Keeping a log is a good idea and very helpful in diagnosing the cause should another seizure occur. But we are keeping all paws crossed here that this one was an isolated event. Hugs and kisses to you Bill

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Thinking of Bill and hoping he continues to be seizure free.

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Originally posted by Catherine:
    <STRONG>Last week my cat Bill had a seizure during the night. It woke me up. He had violent spasms causing his whole body to roll over and over. When this ceased, I petted him to calm him down. After a few minutes he was fine. The next seizure that I noticed occurred about a week later. This time I noticed him having a less severe spasm and looking around the room in a dazed state. His heart was pounding fast. I petted him until he seemed to calm down and this time he did not go into more violent convulsions. Again, after a few minutes he was OK.

Has anyone experienced this with their cat? Does anyone know what may be causing his seizures? He is scheduled for a vet appointment this week. </STRONG>
    Oh no.... you don't happen to be using Hartz's Flea and Tick medicine that you start at the neck and go back to the tail are you ??? Heard many bad things about that product ! Causing seizures and death ! Let me know
    Cats are so precious

Catherine, how is Bill doing? Hope he hasn't had anymore episodes.

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

Originally posted by thelmalu99:
    <STRONG>Catherine, how is Bill doing? Hope he hasn't had anymore episodes.</STRONG>
    So far Bill is doing fine. He has experienced no more seizures and has displayed no other abnormal behaviors. He is enjoying the fall weather here in Maine and spends lots of time outdoors with his two "sisters". When he is inside, he is sleeping in his favorite spot on the couch.

Bill, says thanks for your concern.

Such good news Catherine - thanks for the update on your sweet Bill

Please give Bill smooches and snuggles from me and my guys.

BTW, Just have to say that Maine is my favorite State. I have to go back someday, it's so beautiful there!

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

Hugs and kisses to you Bill! I was so happy to hear you're feeling better and enjoying your outdoor activities. Love, Sandra, Mr. B and Oliver