Thread: Indya needs an operation

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Indya needs an operation UPDATE

Looks like I originally made a mistake on the link to paypal. It looks like it's working now. When it opens, you'll see my e-mail address listed. Wipe it out and enter yours. Thanks folks for letting me know it wasn't working.

I have gotten involved in trying to raise enough money to help a kitty in need of an expensive operation. Estimates for the surgery have been between $1000 and $1500. Indya has been rescued by a non-profit group in Anchorage, Alaska: http://www.alaskacaninerescue.com/pets.html (Her picture is currently the third listed).

Indya was born with a hole in her diaphram. After eating, her tummy swells up through the hole and squeezes her lungs so that she can't breathe. She gasps and pants very hard trying to get enough air. She was adopted and returned because they didn't want to deal with her medical bills. We've raised a little money but have a long way to go. Her foster Mom and I are planning a garage sale to help raise some funds towards her operation.

Any help would be welcomed and appreciated. If you can help, please make a donation by using this link: https://www.paypal.com/xclick/busine...rency_code=USD

If you have any fund raising suggestions, please let me know so that we can help this kitty have a long, happy and healthy life.

Thank you. Please feel free to cross-post.
    Lisa
    Last edited by kuhio98; 09-14-2004 at 09:59 AM.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I'd donate in a second if I could afford to. There's a group that may be able to help some financially...http://www.imom.org/ I'd contact them about the situation and see if they can help some. Poor kitty...reminds me of an abused one Leslie & I rescued in Boston several years ago. Poor baby had old fractures of his legs, a ruptured diahragm, broken ribs, a ruptured spleen etc. Despite all the terrible pain this boy was in, he purred his sweet head off non-stop. Bennie got a wonderful home, and the shelter had a whopping bill to pay off. *sigh*
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Jan: Thanks for the suggestion. I have e-mailed them the link to imom.org. I'll keep you posted on how Indya's case turns out.

Jan, that looks like a wonderful organization! I had no idea there was an organization out there like this. I will definitely be bookmarking this for future reference.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Indya Fundraiser Update

Thanks guys! Keep up the good work! Val e-mailed me this morning and we've raised $450 towards Indya's operation.

Val is organizing a bake sale and I'm working on a garage sale.

She's added a paypal donation link directly under Indy'a photo at their website: http://www.alaskacaninerescue.com/pets.html

If you don't use paypal, you can mail a donation to:

Second Chances
    c/o: Valli Smith
    3704 B Faust CT
    EAFB, AK 99506

"Make the check or money order out to: Valli Smith-SCAAR. and on the for line: AK21 ( that is what I have designated the funds for ) makes it easier for me to separate on my books."

I've talked to Val a couple of times on the phone but never met her. When she sent me her address, I was just blown away. Val and her family live on Elmendorf Air Force Base. With everything military families are dealing with right now, she's still finding time to help these animals. She's truly an animal lover!

I donated a little, I wish I could afford more. Indya is a doll. I hope she can get the help she needs.

Do you have any people who willing to donate things to be sold on eBay? I am in a hobby and people in it raise money for various animal charities by asking artists for donations, then those items are sold on eBay.

This works very well with unique artisit's items (the hobby is model horses - many people are familiar with Breyer model horses, artists take these plastic models and resculpt and repaint them into very unique and wonderful creations) Much of the money raised through these sales go to rescuing and supporting abused, injured or neglected race horses (race horses who would otherwise be heading to the slaughterhouse).

The hard part is finding talented artists who are compassionate enough to donate their hard work - but animal loving artists are out there! I have seen large amounts of money raised in this way. It seems like ebay bidders are willing to dig deeper into their pockets if they know their bid will be going to a good cause.

Keep up the great work !!! We've now raised $655.00 towards Indya's operation. Thank you so much!

i hope you enough money to help indya

good luck

Indya has a wonderful home

We have raised half of what is needed for Indya's surgery. A wonderful family from Washington State is adopting her and picking up the rest of the cost for the very expensive and complicated surgery! Thanks to ALL for all the donations and e-mails! WAY TO GO INDYA!!

I want to thank you all for getting the word out and helping little Indya on her way to a long, happy and healthy life.

I was dismayed at criticism on some message boards about the amount of money being spent on this one kitty when there are so many in need. Each life is precious. We would save them all if we could. We can't. But, we did save Indya from a slow, painful life. I'm bawling happy tears.

Oh! We're going ahead with the garage sale. The funds will be used for the next "Second Chances" baby who needs a helping hand.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    That's wonderful news! Money can easily be replaced, but these little creatures who depend on us so, can't. Glad Indya is on her way to a happy new home, and a full recovery.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~