Thread: How to feed starving cat?

How to feed starving cat?

I have a 14 mnth grey tabby cat who a neighbor accidently let out of our house. She was missing for 5 days until another neighbor found her today. She had been stuck between a wall and window. When I got her home I felt her stomach and it was empty and her sides are sunk in quite significantly. Does anyone know if it is bad to let her eat as much of her dry cat food as she wants after going without food for so long? She doesnt like wet can food so I can't moisten it any. I can't call and ask the vet because they only speak German and the american vet clinic doesnt have a vet on call right now. Thank you for any info you can provide me with.

If it were me, I'd only give a little bit at a time otherwise kitty might gorge and throw up, and I would get her to the vet, or at least have the owner do it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I agree also a little bit of food at a time, otherwise its gorge time and it all comes back up.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Oh poor kitty. I'm glad she was found. Like the others say, I'd feed her only a little at a time, as you may know, dry food expands in her tummy. Also, make sure she drinks some water, she must be quite dehydrated.

If I were you, I'd call the vet and ask what else to do, most germans speak english too.

Good luck with her!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Maybe Cat Milk is a good idea as it provides liquid as much as food calories. I am so glad you found your cat.

If you PM Queenscoopalot or K&L or kimlovescats- they have all large experience with rescuing and I am sure they will be able to give advice.

small frequent meals, with plenty of water!!!!! and, a vet check. With such a long period of no food/water..I would want to make sure there isn't any kidney malfunction.

I would be really concerned about the lack of water and to start with, I would give her baby food but I agree, a visit to the vet is a MUST!

The reason I say this is that Princess went 5 days without eating or drinking and her bowels were clogged and they had to give her a enema to clean her out. Ya never know so please get her to a vet to see how this has effected her...

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Just an FYI about baby food for kitties...it is USUALLY high in protein...something not all kitties do well with. It is hard on their kidneys.

She could be dehydrated and will need subcutaneous fluids. Please have her checked by a vet ASAP. We lost one of our cats in a storm drain for 2 weeks. When we finally located him, one of his worse problem was dehydration (along with an injured hip).
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Thanks!

Thanks you all! Schatzi is doing much better now...She's back to her normal and loving playful self. I have a feeling she's not going to be wanting to go outdoors anymore!