Thread: Hi! I'm New here...

Hi! I'm New here...

Hi ppl! I'm new to this awesome site! I think it's a great place for all pet lovers to gather, and I'm hoping I will have lots of fun here!

Anyway, for my first post, I wanted to ask you all ....What breed is my cat? I don't know what breed my cat is, and I sure don't have the money to look into the matter professionally (if there is such a thing) so I was wondering if someone here could help me out. I searched a couple of websites and by piecing together some info and clues, I can only make a guess that he is American Shorthaired Marmalade Tabby...but once again, that is just my guess. Anyway, Here is a picture of him, ...(cute isn't he ) He is only 2 years old and his name is NIKKO (means sunny/sunshine in Japanese. Anyone else have a better idea than me? Thanks for reading!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by marychan; 08-25-2004 at 12:48 AM.

He is very handsome.

Up close and personal

Thanks Jen! Here is Nikko's close up! *I just love that mug of his*

A very warm welcome to you Marychan and Nikko, Nikko you are one gorgeous kitty, Love the markings around his eyes, makes him look very unique.

I look forward to many more of your posts and pics, tell us about yourself and your family and furbabies, we love to get new members, you will love it here for sure, ENJOY.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Welcome to Pet Talk!!! My name is Meg and I have 5 kitties of my own which can be seen in my signature. I am no expert in breeds of cats but I can certainly tell you that Nikko is absolutely beautiful...but then you already knew that. He definately has the "M" mark on his forhead indicating some tabby.

Well, I hope you go over to the Cat General and introduce yourself and Nikko there as well.

Again Welcome!!!

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Thanks all! Heres a bit about kitties and me

Thanks you guys, for your hospitality! Your kitties are all gorgeous as well (to all!)

Well, here is a bit about my Nikko, and I.

I am an artist, and a fellow animal lover! I was born and raised in the Bronx, New York, and later moved to a much more country like Upstate New York, at the age of thirteen (I'm going to be 21 in October!), taking with me, my precious cat Tabitha, along with 4 snakes, and two lizards. After living here a couple of years, my sister, Nina, and I decided we wanted another kitty, and so we adopted a new kitty from our local humane society, and called her Luna. She was quite a character...She was pitch black! (She may have been of Bombay breed...?) But unlike the creepy "witch's cat" rumors, she was a total saint!

Unfortunately, our new baby didn’t live as long as we thought she would, but with all the good times we spent together, I wouldn’t change a thing, despite my heartbreak (I even wrote a poem about her too, which I will post in my next message.) Luna was definitely an angel kitty, sent from above. Although she only lived with us for 2 years, she brightened all of our lives, including, my older cat, Tabitha.

Tabitha was very old, and she was starting to get sick, but some how, Luna brought her back to life. They didn’t get along at first, but after a while, they wouldn’t stop playing. It was unfortunate when Luna had gotten a disease (the infamous feline leukemia) and my sister and I cried for months, but I know, when it my time, we will be reunited once again.

After such a terrible heartbreak, my sister and I decided, NO MORE CATS! We just didn’t want to deal with another tragedy like that again...but then after a couple of years, something unexpected happened...

My dad is a carpenter, and being so, he works all over, but most of the time he has jobs in the city. My mom, being a carpenters wife, lol, is sometimes obligated to join her husband and work along side him **she is a tough cookie too** Anyway, they just happened to be working together on a job in the Bronx...Yes, the place I grew up in, and there my mother noticed a cat from the neighborhood, had just given birth to kittens.

After inquiring around, she found the owner of the Cat was a little girl who couldn’t take care of them. My mom asked for a kitten, but the girl refused! My mom was very sad about this, especially because she knew the girl was obviously too poor and careless to care for these babies. And so, she came home disappointed and empty handed.

2 Weeks later, Mom and Dad were back on the same job site, and when returning to the same neighborhood, they encountered the same girl with the kittens. She asked about the kittens and, sure enough, they were not taken care of. They were already infested with fleas and ticks and they were malnourished. Once again my mom asked for one, and this time, the girl allowed Mom to buy a kitten for the price of 5 dollars. My mom only had a 10 dollar bill, but still gave it to the girl and picked out a kitty from the litter.

He was the only orange one of the bunch, so he caught her eye. He was a fluffy ball of sunshine. Unfortunately, Mom couldn’t save the rest of his brothers and sisters, but hopefully God will keep them safe.

When Mom and Dad came home, Mom had with her a small box. What it contained was totally unexpected! Well... not totally. My sister had had a dream that we were getting an ORANGE Kitty. No LIE! She had seen it in her dreams! The funny (or scary) thing about this is that, I always have a dream about death, right before one of my pets passes away, and my sister has had dreams right before one comes to join our family....strange...

Anyways, in a frenzy of worry and excitement, we opened the box and washed our new two week old fur ball in our kitchen sink to rid him of some of those horrid ticks. We were all acting literally "ape-like" as we groomed his scrawny body, picking out those bugs from his fur! Oh well...at least he was properly weaned by his mommy cat...thank God for that (although I wouldn’t have minded bottle-feeding him one bit...it's so damn cute!)

Mom, wanted to name our new addition to the family, Sunny, but since I had always liked the Japanese culture, I thought up the name, Nikko, which means Sunny in Japanese. After a few good grooming, and a lot of feedings, Nikko was good as new! Not to mention, very curious and Mischievous...but that's what make cats so cute, right?!

Actually, Nikko's personality is very opposite to Luna’s (God Rest her soul), but wouldn’t the sun be opposite from the moon?! I guess things worked out the way they should. Another funny thing is the fact that he's from the Bronx, just like my family, and even though we had moved from the Bronx, he somehow came into our lives! THAT IS DEFINITELY FATE!

Nikko, and Tabitha, didn’t really get along, but they had their good moments as well. He kept her alive for a while...but if you notice, I am speaking in Past tense, so I am once again sad to say that Tabitha has passed away...I even saw the terrible event in my dreams...we all knew it was her time.

Tabitha lived her life to the fullest. I truly believe that. She was almost 17 years old...and although her fur was the softest thing you could ever touch, her temperament was getting worse, and so was her condition. She was in a lot of pain, and I couldn’t bear to be selfish and keep her living in agony for my own sake... She had inflammatory bowl disease, and was constantly throwing up, and she was getting skinnier by the minute. We all decided it was time to have her put to rest. When I think about it, I still cry...This happened not very long ago, in May of this year, so I still haven’t fully recovered...but who does? She was a part of the family...and will always remain so; even without her being here physically...

She was my mom's second baby, so she took it the hardest. Surprisingly, even my dad cried, which is VERY Rare! The last time he ever cried was when his own father passed away years ago. Nikko took it hard as well. Although they didn’t always get along (they only knew each other for 2 years and were just getting to know each other), He became physically ill the day she left. It was like his whole body felt her presence passing away and it was too much for him to handle. Thankfully, he fully recovered, physically at least. He is still kind of depressed and very lonely. (Tabitha...You will be missed my love... But you are in good company with Luna...May you frolic together happily...we will all meet again at the Rainbow Bridge)

Now that we've all had some time to recover, my sister and I have once again decided that it's time for another kitty! We want Nikko to have a little sister so badly! He needs the company desperately and it would be nice to have another fur ball on the loose here! We are preparing for one early September, and hopefully, we will have one by October! Wish us good luck!

Well...thanks for reading about my family and I. *I am sorry if this message was too long or boring* and I am thankful for any replies! Thanks again *from Nikko and Me*

Oh yeah, don’t forget to check the attachment in this message. It is a picture of my Beautiful Dearly departed Tabitha.

~Marychan
    Last edited by marychan; 08-25-2004 at 06:51 PM.

Welcome to PT! You will most likely get many more replies if you post in Cat General!

Your kitty looks like a domestic short haired orange tabby! Something that many of PTers absolutley LOVE! Orangies are nearly always male, and known to be very loveable and good-natured kitties!

Thank you for sharing your story with us, and your RB baby, Tabitha was gorgeous. She lived a very long and loved life!

Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Thanks so much kim!

And thank you for your info on his breed as well...
    Yes, Nikko is a good-natured cat. He enjoys my company and I enjoy his too. Oh he also has a hidden talent! He is a Masseuse!

What he does is, when my sister or myself are lying in bed, on our bellies, he will get on top of our back, butt, or legs and massage us! I swear I will have to get this on video one day! The funny thing about it is that his face is so relaxed and yet he seems to be concentrating at the same time! it's just so funny!

I know he doesnt actually mean to give us a massage, and that he is just making himself comfortable before he lies down on one of us, but in appearance, he honestly looks like he is giving a massage! Anyone share this strange and cute experience?!

Oh yeah, I know I'm supposed to be talking about breeds here...so I'm sorry for not staying on the subject...Thanks again for reading!

P.S. Dont forget to check the new attachment of Nikko! Bye!
    ~Marychan

Thank you for sharing your story about Nikko, Tabitha bless her, and your family, on the contrary I found it very interesting, you have a very special way of writing, and you captured my interest the whole way through,(ever thought of being a writer) I expect its the artistic side in you coming through.

I am sorry you lost your furbaby Tabitha, maybe you would like to post a memorial on the site in her rememberance, she was a pretty girl, and I know you will still miss her.

Nikko is precious, and I am thrilled to hear you will be adopting a new furbaby soon, you may even find your furbaby on PT, there are plenty kitties that need good homes.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

What a beautiful red tabby you have. What a great expression on Nikko's face. Your question on breed has been answered but I just wanted to say welcome and Nikko is a handsome guy.

Stella
    Tiny Paws (!?!) ready to walk in and on your heart. They will dig a hole and plant themselves there and grow like weeds wrapping themselves around your heart and soul.