Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vet Fees

Vet Fees

Just out of curiousity, what do vets charge in your area? I just took Krissy in for an ear infection - $90 CDN - $31 for ear drops and the balance for "consultation" and office visit.

This seems a bit pricey to me, although I am happy with the way they treat the animals. I wonder if our area is particularly expensive. If we have any more animals dumped on our doorstep, I won't be able to afford to adopt

It cost $35 dollars for a consult at my vet, which is more expensive than a doctor visit for myself, all up I payed 68 dollars for consult, two injections, and two sets of pills, I suppose that is not too bad, keep in mind NZ dollars though.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Today it cost me $45.00 just to walk in the door and $275.00 for the teeth cleaning. Extractions and meds are extra. I expect to have a $350.00 bill by the time it's all over.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I find vets are steadily going up. The one I use was really reasonable..... then he built a new building and I have about fainted when I got the bill at the end of the visits. When I took Midnight for her tests and first round of shots, checked for worms it was about $140.. Next trip several week later to get her spayed it was a staggering $181.... as compared to the around $100 when I asked prior to the visit... I didn't know she was pregnant and required more meds and stuff... But she was worth every penny for the effort she put into getting to be MINE! She never gave up!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

My vet is also fairly expensive but I do live in California where everything is expensive. Over the years his consultation fee has gone up from $28.00 in 1997 to $41.50 now. That's an incerease in $13.50 in only 7 years. I looked this up from Storm's vet records.

When I first adopted Storm he was very sick and had a lot of things wrong with him but they were all treateable. I spent almost $300.00 on him back in 1997. I'd hate to think what it would have cost today. He has been worth every penny that I spent on him though and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Vet's are really expensive...I get to hear it every day how we charge way too much. Trust me, I wish I had the power to make the prices.

We charge $42 for an office call, $27 for a recheck, $18 if its just a brief recheck. We also offer a discount if people bring in two animals to get checked at the same time.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Honestly, I don't think vets are getting rich off us. They have to buy much of the same equipment human doctors do, (I almost typed "human vets") and probably at the same prices. Plus, a lot of vets do work for free or at reduced prices for shelters and rescues.

Sometimes I am surprised that the costs aren't higher.

i thnk its $45 here for the visit,then we have to pay for shots,and blood work etc.

$41 for consultation
    $99.60 for Xray
    $45.60 for sub-fluids
    $28.60 injection
    $19.00 Tablets
    $41.30 Urinalysis
    $28.00 Tablets
    $1.25 (per can)- IVD Feline Prescription diet

Total: $305.60

This was just for yesterday with Hazel. I've had at least 3 other visits in the last 2 weeks with these totals!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Originally posted by K & L
    $41 for consultation
    $99.60 for Xray
    $45.60 for sub-fluids
    $28.60 injection
    $19.00 Tablets
    $41.30 Urinalysis
    $28.00 Tablets

This was just for yesterday with Hazel. I've had at least 3 other visits in the last 2 weeks with these totals!
    Oh my god, I guess they'll be no meowmy treats for a while !!! Last year while Jock wasn't well I ended up with a bill for £700. When he went to Rainbow Bridge I swore I'd never be caught like that again so I got Bonnie some pet cover. I pay £10.31 a month and I'm insured against any vet bills. I have to pay the first £30 upfront but as you know how these bills mount up its still makes me feel safe. I suppose its alright for me to get cover but most of you guys have many kitties in one household but hey don't we love these guys and they are all worth every penny

Just had dental work for our 9-year old, Krissy. Cost = $375.00 ($CDN). I just spent $90 a couple of weeks ago for her ear infection. I won't be able to afford pets soon.

This is a sampling of various vet visits withnth last year:

Office visit: $35.00
    Felocell CVRC: $13.00
    Tresderm Solution (what is that? ): $10.00
    (they were from Pouncer's kitten visits)

Rabies shot: $13
    Pouncer's "Castration": $75.00
    Pre castration lab work: $37.00
    Casting Pouncer's broken toe: $50

The cost of a healthy cat: Priceless (sorry just had to say it! )

Trezaderm is a skin medicine for ringworm, fungus and all sorts of skin troubles.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Originally posted by K & L
    $41 for consultation
    $99.60 for Xray
    $45.60 for sub-fluids
    $28.60 injection
    $19.00 Tablets
    $41.30 Urinalysis
    $28.00 Tablets

Wow, prices are high where you live. I took Hanna in last week when she was sick, and I was charged:

Exam $30 (d)
    Radiology x-ray, 2 views $85 (d)
    Bloodwork $85 (d)
    Metronidazole $8
    Sub-q fluids $15 (d)
    Injection (antibiotic) $15 (d)
    Clavamox $14 (d)

Total: $252

We get a multi-pet discount (the (d) next to prices, 10% off everything except the metronidazole), so the total I actually paid was $227.60

I had to take both of my pets in last week:
    Buddy had conjunctivitis in his eye and Dr. tested the retina with dye under a black light to see if there were any scratches. (there were not) and gave me some antibiotic ointment to treat his eye with. He also got his yearly vaccines and tag. His total- $58.
    Julie went in for a check up and her vaccines and tag. Her total- $45.

I think our vet is very reasonable with his prices.