Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New to site - Hello & Thank You!

Welcome to Max and his humans! But I'm SO sorry to hear that Max is going through some health troubles. Poor guy!! I hope the pain isn't too severe! Sniff. Me and my two kitties are sending you good vibes, Max! I hope you get better soon and that you'll be pain-free!

I, of course, would love to see pics of Max. It helped to see a "lookalike" with Meeshe. I know you're planning to eventually submit Max for "Cat of the Day", but do you think you could try to post one here for us now? I hope it's not too much trouble. Otherwise, guess I'll just have to wait for Max's lucky day!!!

Again, get well soon, Max!!!!!! XOXOXO

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: margaret ]

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: margaret ]
    margaret

Saima and Miko

Max's Human, how is he doing today?? I certainly hope they find a solution for his pain soon! *hugs* to your big boy from my big boys: Marius, Scooter and me too!

4feline, great story about your cat's recovery. What a great furmom you are! I'm interested in hearing about your mom's cat that recovered from complete paralysis??!! Wow! Do tell!

Hi and welcome! Sorry I'm a bit late in greeting you! I was so distressed to hear that Max was not feeling well. Hope the pain subsides quickly, poor baby! He sounds so sweet...My name is Sandra and my kids include Cody and Star (husky (x) and lab) Mr. B and Oliver, (DLH and PersianxMaine Coon) and Mr. Squeekers the guinea pig! Hope to hear that Max is feeling better soon! And by the way, picture posting on the forum is MANDATORY!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Wolflady,

Before any of us kids were born, my mom had two cats named Micky Chick, a girl, and Jimmy Jim, a boy. Micky Chick always liked to stretch up and look into the refrigerator any time my mom or dad had it open. Only thing is, one day it accidently closed on her and broke her back. The vet recommended putting her down since she had no use of her back legs and could not empty her bladder or move her bowels (the opposite of Boosie's problem). Like me, my mom needed a little time to say goodbye, and Micky Chick was not in any pain, so she took her home. Over the ensuing days as my mom prepared to let her go, she was amazed to see that Jimmy Jim was bringing mouthfulls of food to her, dragging her to her water bowl, and dragging her outside and helping her eliminate like a mama cat does with her babies. He was grooming her and keeping her company. He was being the complete nurse! This made it even harder for my mom to put her to sleep. But very soon my mom started to notice very slight improvement - a toe twitching, a tail trembling. Very, very gradually, with Jimmy Jim's help, Micky Chick started being able to drag herself around. Then she was starting to be able to push with her back feet, even though she still could not stand up. Eventually, though, she was able to walk, was able to eliminate, and was able to make a complete recovery. This is such an old story I no longer remember the time frame in which this all happened, but the vet called it a miracle and my mom was so glad she didn't listen to him.

4feline, wow! What a neat story! It truely sounds like one of those Miracle Pets stories that you see on PAX It's amazing the bond that Micky Chick and Jimmy Jim had with each other. How precious. Thanks for a really great story this Friday morning!

Wow!!! Leah, that is a wonderful story, and I agree, it belongs on Miracle Pets! Althought I don't know how "cat" actors could ever recreate the story. I think you should definitely consider it for a story at Petwarmers. You could do it at the link www.petwarmers.com . What a wonderful success story. How long did she live?

I took heed to the requests to get a photo up here of Max but I don't know how to do it...it's a .bmp and it is on my Mac, not a URL. Once I figure it out, I'll put up the photo.

I reviewed the videotape with the vet. He concluded after watching it that Max has had a fall and that he is severely bruised or has a pinched nerve in his back. The spinal x-ray shows nothing and the Dr. seems sure there isn't any broken bones. They gave Max a pain killer, (low dose), but last night the pain seemed worse than ever. Everytime he got up, he screamed in pain and lurched backwards. I was up most of the night with him. This morning he seemed better and we thought that we were back on track. He had 3 screaming episodes before I left and then a friend of ours came in to check on him later. He was happy to see her at first, but then she couldn't find him. When she finally located him, she said that he got scared (highly unusual, Max LOVES this friend) - or was playing "hide and seek" with her because he took off like a shot and bounded up 14 stairs. She followed him and noticed he was watching her from the loft. She went up and bent down to pet him and he scooted past her and bounded back down the stairs. She said he never made a sound of pain. That's what happens - one minute he screaming and the next he could be acting like nothing is wrong. Most of the time though he just lays there. He is also twiching and shivering a little - I have called the vet - but he wasn't in. I'll call him again shortly.

Has ANYONE got any clues?? - we have been dealing with this for well over a week and it is killing us all...we love him so much...we'd give anything to have him wake us up in the middle of the night to feed him instead of a blood curtling scream. I dread tonight and the impending weekend.

4Feline, thank you for your inspirational story - I hope we are witnessing a miracle pet.

Thank you eveyone for your kind words and prayers. Please keep them coming.

PS: Max is an indoor cat, too. We think he was walking the railing of our loft if/when he fell. I think perhaps he didn't land correctly avoiding the exposed quick.

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: Max's Human ]

Both Micky Chick and Jimmy Jim went on to live normal life spans, with Micky never showing any more signs of injury. They were still around when I was born, but I don't remember them.

Max's human - thanks for the update. I hope he gets better soon.

Max's human, I sure hope a solution is found for Max soon! Sounds possible that he did fall from someplace high and injured his back. I had a friend that had the same thing happen to their dachshund. They came home and found her parylized from the waist back. They assume she fell down the stairs. Luckily, she went into surgury and recovered to the point where she could walk on her own. Unfortunately she's gone to the rainbow bridge due to other circumstances. I sure hope Max get's better soon! Is there any kind of pain killer you can give him to ease the pain?? You are in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.
    *hugs* from Karen, Marius and Scooter

Karen,

Our vet prescribed a low dose of "Torbutrol" for him. He gets 1mg. 3x a day. He has had 4 pills so far but is not much better sorry to say. I FINALLY got the scream/jump back on video - I am going to bring it to the office in the morning to see if there is something we missed.

He had to have fallen from the loft railing when we weren't home. Please continue to pray for him - he is one awesome guy!

I just clicked Petwarmers from Logan's link, and really enjoyed the stories! Some of them were a little farfetched - the dolphin one - but then again, who knows, animals are so amazing it could have happened! I think I'll subscribe....

Thanks for the hints on posting Max's photo. I tried last night, but I believe the URL was for that sight only.

I have used webshots - thanks for the tip!

Thanks for your thoughts and prayer's. Max really needs them. I have to take him to a vet who specializes in neurology on Monday. Our vet did another very thorough exam today with more xrays. No broken bones are evident , spine looks fine - but it now seems that EVERYTIME Max tries to get up it is not very long that he screams in pain and falls back to the floor. He wants to get up so bad. Poor thing is now constipated too - he's too afraid to get up to use the box.

I hope the photo will show just how special our big guy with the baby face is.

Bless his furry little heart. He seems to be in such distress. I'll be praying for him and y'all, his humans.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SpencerTheLion:
    [QB]...you did not realize how close you were! Got to go, but here is your thumbnail & full-blown picture of Max:

Thanks so much! I was just coming here to try again!

...have you ever considered naming Max iMax?

ROFL! No, I hadn't thought of it! I'll be sure to try it out on him!

I am cross-platform (knowledgeable of both Mac and PC) but I am so pre-occupied with my four legged patient, that I have no "patience" for anything else! That's what I get for trying to rush FYI, I CAN "right click" on the thumbnail (some mouses for Mac have a right click) to get the name or drag it, or the larger view, to my desktop to see it also. I thank you for your help!

(i)Max is a little better today - I think the meds are starting to help. He was bright and playful earlier, still constipated - but he is getting around a little better. He nearly ran his Human Daddy down a little while ago in an attempt to bolt into the basement before we caught him. Usually he has free reign, but it is 14 steps down/up and Max is not supposed to be using them - the outcome: Max won, Human's lose. Sigh...