Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: :( :( I can't take this anymore

:( :( I can't take this anymore

All this with Jasper is getting really hard on me, to a point where I don't get to sleep until atleast 5am every morning.

I feel like we're just giving up, I can't do more food trials with him because my mom keeps feeding him whenever she's eating

I bought Tea Tree Oil shampoo and it didn't help

We cant get him down to 1 predizone a day, he has his chin all scratched up again

Everytime I give him a pill I feel like Im slowly killing him, because of how these pills wear down their organs and shorten their life

I don't know what Im suposed to do?? Im not happy with the choice to just give him these pills...

I could take $800 out of my account(for school) to send him to P.E.I for the right tests, but what if they don't find anything??
    My mom would never stop bugging me about how I spent all that for nothing...

I feel like Im stuck in a trap, I can't move forward, and I need to, I NEED to know whats wrong with my baby!!! And someone has to be able to tell me that

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

I'm really sorry Robyn. You are doing the best you possibly could, and if giving the pills is helping him for now, that's the important part. Would you want him to have a longer life, always itching? Or a possibly shorter one, but extremely happy with you? You are doing everything possible, don't be too hard on yourself. None of this is your fault. If Jasper had gone to a different home, he probably wouldn't have been cared for half as good. I'm sorry, I don't know what else to say, but you'll both be in my prayers!

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

Your in a really rough situation now, but again your giving him the pills to help him, and I know you'd rather have Jasper live a awseme happy life, rather then a itchy, miserable one! I wish i could give you more of my opinen on sending him for testing in PEI, but i really dont know, maybe your parents will pay half of it? Well i hope everything gets better soon

This may sound crazy, but my Max (dachshund) has TERRIBLE allergies. I've done allergy testing twice, given him prednisone (for 3 years-that almost killed him), antihistamines, special shampoo, a dozen different types of food, etc.

To date none of these has helped him. About 2 months ago, I took him to an acupuncturist/holistic veterinarian. The difference is amazing. He went for acupuncture treatments starting with every week, then every 2 weeks and now every 3 weeks. He takes chinese herbs and eats a special diet (www.sojos.com).

I can't tell you how much this has changed our lives (his and mine). He still itches a little, but nothing like before. He hasn't had any secondary skin infections.

It might be worth a try for you and Jasper. I was so skeptical, but I'm convinced about acupuncture now.

Hmmm, really?? Acupuncture for skin problems? I doubt we even have one of those vets around here

RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

I understand how you feel. But you have to do what you have to do. Like Maria, said better that he’s happy while he’s here than to live a long, miserable life.

I have to say that I really don’t understand why your mom won’t respect that certain foods will make Jasper worse.

I will tell you that no matter how much you spend, you may never have the answers you’re seeking. We know some of the things that Chester’s allergic to, but obviously not all. Even the shots that he gets for the allergies don’t seem to be helping an awful lot. The one thing that helps him the most are those life shortening little pills. I hate that he may not live out his life expectancy, but I’m glad to keep him happy will he is here. I used to worry a lot about how I was damaging him and that he wouldn’t be he as long as another Toy Fox Terrier without allergies, but I’ve learned to put that aside and just enjoy the here and now. I also think that God sent him to us, knowing that we wouldn’t ignore his health problems like some people would.

After we did the newest set of tests, I was hopeful, but so far I’ve seen no difference. We did find out about some things that we didn’t know he was allergic to before, like cats, but still I wish there was a magic answer.

Try not to worry.

You will both be in my thoughts, I have to agree with Maria and Micki if the medication is stopping poor Japser from scratching himself up all the time then isn't it worth giving it to him. Better a happy itch free shorter life than a misarable itchy long life.

I know you will make the right choice for Jasper and that you love him very much.

Goodluck. {{Hugs}}
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I thought it was crazy too, but yes acupuncture for skin allergies. If you go to: International Veterinary Acupuncture Society or American Academy of Veterinary Acupuncture you may find a vet in your area who might be able to help.

Dr. Van was a traditional veterinarian until he saw his first case get better after they did the acupuncture when everything else failed.

Robyn, I'm sorry you're feeling so frustrated right now. You have done so much for Jasper. It has to be so hard to think you're just kind of going in circles, but I know Jasper appreciates everything you do for him. About the prednisone, I know it can cause a lot of other health problems, but I would try to keep the frame of mind that it's QUALITY of life, not neccessarily QUANTITY. I know if it were me, I'd want my pup to have the best life possible, even if it were just a relatively short time. I'd prefer that to years of pain, and being uncomfortable. But that's just me.

About you taking the $800 out of your savings, I can understand if your mom would have a conniption fit about you doing it. My dad blew a gasket when I took out $1000 to help a friend out a few years ago. But he got over it. And I'm sure your mom would too, if that's what you ultimately decided to do. Maybe try to explain to your mom that Jasper is like a child. When it comes to children, there is no limit to how far a parent would go to ensure their baby's health. This is what you're trying to do for Jasper.

Check out the possibility of acupuncture/holistic medicine. I know it can help in cases where nothing else seems to. Don't give up, Robyn! I know how hard it is for you, but you are doing a great job! Jasper loves you all the more for what you do for him. There's no way to go but up!
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Oh, I'm so sorry about all this. But as everyone said, you are doing the best you can for him. Not everyone would care as much as you do. You're a great owner, and you take such great care of him. If you decide to do the testing I really hope it helps him.

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

Thanks everyone I feel alot better after all your responses, and after a nice day at the dog park!

Im going to talk to my mom about the other testing, and taking money out of my account.

{{{Hugs}}} To you all

RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

I agree with Maria in the fact that if Jasper had gone to someone else, they wouldn't have done near enough that you've done. I've also found a link that lists two doctors in Canada that do veterinary accupuncture. I hope this helps. If you contact them, maybe they can help or at least point you in the right direction. Don't give up hope until there's nothing left to try. Good luck!
    canadavetaccpuncture

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Thanks, Val, neither of those are near me, but I could contact them, not sure what I would say though

RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Robyn, I just wish I knew what to say. It looks like you've gotten a lot of wonderful advice so far. I know how this is tearing you apart, I would imagine your own health is in danger with you sleeping so little and worrying so much, please do take care of yourself too. I promise, you and Jasper continue to be in my prayers. {hugs}
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Robyn, my heart goes out to you! I don't have any advice but I just wanted to let you know that I care. What an awful time you are going through. I wish I did have some great advice or know what to tell you to do. I'll keep you both in my prayers. Come here and talk and vent all you need to. We are here for you.

Hugs to both you and Jasper......Robin