Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you want your funeral?

I've never given it much thought. The only thing I know it that I want to be buried, not cremated. Reason being is ever since I was little I have had nightmares about fire and even tho I will be dead, I don't want to be burned.
    Oh, and I defiantly want anything and everything that can be to be donated.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

I said that I just want to be cremated and the money to be donated to an animal shelter in lieu of flowers.
    This is exactly what I want done Tonya. And if any of my organs can be used I will donate them.
    And I don't want any type of funeral sad kinda thing (I hate everyone crying and being sad, it hurts the heart so much). I want everyone to get together and share pictures and stories about the good times we've had.

I'm happy to have such a wonderrful husband who says he will honor my wishes

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I have also opted for cremation and having my ashes mixed with those of my deceased pets. Any donations in my memory should be made to Hearts United for Animals or a shelter of the donor's chosing. Really I don't care for any kind of memorial service either. Just remember me kindly.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I have mentioned this before, but when my husbands mother died, she was lying in state at her home,(that part i did not really like ) for a few days, all the family, grandkids, including my daughter were down there decorating her coffin, it was bright blue, as she was a music teacher, of course there were lots of things relating to that, we could all write messages inside the coffin, which I did.

It was the most unusal thing I have ever seen, all while granny was lying there, but it seemed to be very good for the children, it was my daughters first experience of death, she was nine years old at the time, and when our cat Sooti died, she did exactly the same thing for him, made a coffin out of a box and decorated it with messages inside and out from us all.

Granny was a very eccentric old lady, and she would have been thrilled to bits if she knew, that all her family did this for her.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I want to be burried in my most loved place... When we move there is going to be a huge tree in the main beautiful pasture where the horses would mainly graze, and where the old owner's dog would lay and watch the cows. I have been to my new home so many times that I have grown to love that place. But, I know it would be great to have the animals there.. But I really don't want them there. I want all of them to have already passed on. That way I will have all of them to look forward to, and they won't go through the sorrow and sadness of not having me there. I just could not put them through that. Getting old and still having animals would only make me scared to pass on without them. If they have already passed I can only think of the happiness of seeing them again.

Originally posted by tatsxxx11

Later rather than sooner!
    LOL! Me too Sandra!

You will all probably think this weird and I do too, but my mother-in-law always takes pictures of people in their caskets at the viewing. When I first observed this about 30 years ago it made my skin crawl. Now we have all seen her do it so often it almost seems "normal." The last person to be photographed in such a way was her husband, my father-in-law, this past March. Nowadays the grandchildren simply say "oh here comes Grandmother with her camera." I hope she goes ahead of me because I don't want her taking pictures of me!

I refuse to donate organs due to a very bad past experience. I would also like to be cremated, and I would like for my ashes to be spead through out the pacific ocean so I could be with dolphins.

This is a difficult thread to answer & hard to think about for my own family members.
    My grandma (who is sick) has asked us not to put her on any sort of life support. She said she is not scared to die & would like her last days to be peaceful when the time comes. So far she has been ok but, if & when the time comes to get her brain tumor out we are all hoping for the best!
    My dad also is sick with prostate cancer but says he'll beat it & be around for many years to come but also does not want any life support.
    As for what my mom, dad, & grandma want: they want to be cremated.
    My dad's ashes will be spread across a beautiful golf course.
    Not sure about my grandma & mom.
    I too would like to be cremated & spread in the ocean with the dolphins.
    My husband however would like to be buried. He can't stand the thought of being on fire!
    I can't come to terms with wanting to donate organs.
    I had this discussion with my dad once & he said "if they were to go to a good person" than that's fine but, it either seems to go to someone that has loads of money 1st or some evil criminal that doesn't even deserve to be around. I know there have been success stories as well but, this is just how I personally feel about it!
    I used to think I had "no fear" of dying but now I'm not so sure. I always wonder....what EXACTLY IS GOING TO HAPPEN when we die?
    Tina B.

Micki - I think that you having your pet cremated and then burried with you is beautiful thing, this has now become my wish thanx to you (hope you don't mind me useing your idea!).

Just a little storie to all you organ donars-

My brother broke his arm, for a second time, in a bad car crash when he was 16 or 17. One of his bones completly broke and they had to remove it. They used bone's from someone else to re-make that bone that he lost. I just want to thank you all who are going to donate, without you who knows where my brother and his arm would be today, you truly are a blessing.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I am also donating my 'parts' to research..and then I guess I'm going to have the rest of me cremated. No plans other than that..yet..
    Last edited by MariaM; 09-06-2004 at 10:26 PM.

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

I want every bit of me that anyone could use to go to them, and I want my friends to celebrate my life, not mourn my passing.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Originally posted by Pam

You will all probably think this weird and I do too, but my mother-in-law always takes pictures of people in their caskets at the viewing. When I first observed this about 30 years ago it made my skin crawl. Now we have all seen her do it so often it almost seems "normal." The last person to be photographed in such a way was her husband, my father-in-law, this past March. Nowadays the grandchildren simply say "oh here comes Grandmother with her camera." I hope she goes ahead of me because I don't want her taking pictures of me!

Yeh and think about the poor soul at the photo store who has to process those pictures.....

I worked at motophoto for 2 years, we processesed each picture individually for color, brightness...etc..and those pictures would always creep me out....those and the naked people....but that's a different topic
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Originally posted by sirrahbed

In our denomination (Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod), at least where we belonged, there is no open casket because we do not believe the person is any longer there. Some people may have a viewing but I have never known of one. There are also no flowers. The "funeral" is a rather comforting and joyous occasion and is referred to as a "coronation' since we know that the believer has gone to eternal life and the funeral is to celebrate that fact. My hubby and I do not want a funeral however - simply a graveside burial that will already be paid in advance so nobody has to think about planning or be stuck with the cost. We will have vaults (so the ground does not cave in) because they are required by law but only wooden non pressure sealed boxes.
    I was taught the same things. I myself would rather have people have a good time instead of them being sad. I dislike it very much when people are sad and try really hard to make people well...not sad lol. I'd want people to rember that and all the goofy stuff I've done and in general get a good laugh. I've been to too many sad, teary funerals and I wouldn't want to put that burden on to anyone else.

I'll have my organs donated, then I'd like to be buried / cremated and be placed under a beautiful tree somewhere...where depends on where I end up.

I am petrified of dying, so I try not to think about it too much anymore. Of course, during my "darker" times I did and this is what I figured out (plus one revision):

If any of my organs are good, I'd like them donated.
    I want a wooden casket.
    I want the flowers to be medium pink and white roses.
    I want my favorite hymns played at the funeral ceremony.
    I want people to cry like crazy.
    I want to be placed in a private mausoleum big enough for my casket and my husband's (you know, one of those little above ground mini-"house" looking things that they used to have all the time).

And within the last two years, I've decided I want Samantha's ashes to be placed in my casket with me (in an urn).

But most of all, I just REEEEEEEEEEEEALLY don't want to die. The thought of it terrifies me.