Thread: Old Cat and new carpet

Old Cat and new carpet

We have just put down new carpeting in half of our basement. Samantha is not happy about it and has peed twice on the old carpet in the laundry room area.
    It is easy enough to clean it since its just a throw rug and her litter box is in the same room, just a few feet away from where she has peed.
    Before you suggest that I take her to the vet, I will be taking her in 2 weeks for a regular check-up. I think that this is more behavior related since she did it when we were watching her and she could have gotten to the litter box to do it if she wanted to. She did seem very stressed when the workmen were putting in the carpet and making noise. I have been giving her extra attention and grooming and she is fine when she is upstairs.
    Does anyone have any advice? We can close off the newly carpeted area for a while by putting something across the bottom of the stairs if we need to. Thanks for any help!
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

I went through this last fall when we put down new carpet and painted in the living room and dining room. The carpet hadn't been down 24 hours before I caught Ripley backing up to a corner the dining room and spraying - he never sprays.

Everyone here told me to use Feliway so I bought a plug-in for the dining room and I used the spray all around the living room. It seemed to help. We caught him trying to spray one or two more times and luckily nothing since, knock on wood.

We are about to have hardwood, vinyl and carpet put down in 2/3 of our house and I'm so afraid it will start up again. Reading your post just makes me really afraid now.

Cats and my husband - the two things on earth that can't stand change.

From Decker with Love

Oh Samantha sweety, no need to pee on the carpeting, the big bad carpet guys are gone now an they can't hurt you. And I know that new carpeting has an awful stink to it, but it will soon start to smell like home, so just ignore it for awhile. Better yet, why not come visit me for a couple of weeks? We can snuggle all day long, you can come in the motorhome with me and there's no fear about new carpeting in our house. Daddy says what we have is "good to go."

Hoping to see you soon!

Forever yours,
    Tubby
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Oh Samantha ... you can just come and stay with me for a while! All of my carpets already smell like pee pee!!!

No seriously, I think she will get used to it in time. Maybe keeping her out of that room for a brief period ... until there are some other familiar smells of home in that room ... would be helpful!

Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Originally posted by kimlovescats
    Oh Samantha ... you can just come and stay with me for a while! All of my carpets already smell like pee pee!!!

Kim
    Thanks for making me smile Kim!

She has been fine since early this morning. Right now she is asleep in her favorite hideout near the laundry room where there is no carpeting. I'm hoping that it is just a temporary thing due to stress and change.
    Jazzcat, I was wondering how you were doing with getting your new carpeting and floors done. We did put a new rug in our livingroom about 3 or 4 years ago and Samantha didn't seem to mind that as much. I think she has only coughed up one or two hairballs in there since we got it done and there are no stains.
    Good luck with your new carpeting!

Tubby, thanks for the offer, don't be surprised if you hear a little knock at the door and see a moo cow kitty with matching luggage sitting on your doorstep.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08

Milly & Izzy

I have heard that some kitties will spray due to the smell of new carpet. I was just going to suggest that you try and make it smell old as soon as possible! LOL! I don't mean to make a joke because I know it is not a pleasant thing. Maybe she is getting used to the smell already. Fingers crossed!

It's funny how sensitive our kitties are. When we had our living room and dining room re-carpeted a few years ago. Trevor went in the family room between the sofa and end table and wouldn't come out for 7 hours after the carpet men left. Andy never came up out of the basement until the next day. I'm glad I don't rely on them for my protection!

Samanths,like most cats,geat used to the old things,and doesnt care,for anything,that is new,and is letting,you know in no uncertain terms!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks for the replies Pam and Catmandu.
    Samantha was fine last night, we did block off access to the new rug and she was no problem.
    I think the new carpet smell may be part of the problem but she seemed more upset with the strangers in the house and the noise they made.
    On Monday we will be moving some new furniture in the room so I hope she can deal with that!
    In a few days I will have some photos to post of her checking out the new carpeting so stay tuned.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08

Milly & Izzy