Thread: Great DAnes..

Great DAnes..

i wont get my own dog until im finished college,which is a while yet,4 more years of highschool,then college,but im really thinking of getting a rescued Great Dane when im finished college/univ.but im not really sure what their personality's are like,and how easy they are to train,etc.i've heard that they are mellow,and quiet but im not sure.
    so if you have a Dane or had a experience with a Dane,info would be very helpful!!

Tikeya's_mom has a dane... maybe try PM'ing her.

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

I have a great dane, I got her at the age 3 months. Great danes love to chew, they will chew couches, walls, shoes, clothes, and welll anything haha.
    they are agile and careful when ADULTS, but as puppies they are clumsy and always hurting themselves.

Their tails are like weapons and their nails grow VERY fast. Dont crop the ears if your pup is older then 2 months old.

I would suggest spaying or neutering right away so your Dane gets bigger. Great danes have to be shown who is boss, if they think they are Alfa they will take advantage of it.

Dont think anything is safe on a high shelf because a male great dane can reach up to 5 1/2 ft standing streight on its hind legs.

They eat like there is no tomorrow as puppies, up to 8-9 cups a day as a puppy. As an adult they eat 4-5 cups a day.
    When feeding the water and food bowl must be at the dogs chest level so they dont gulp air and twist their stomachs.

you cannot ride a great dane because their backs are very weak, and so is their hips.

visit my great dane site...
    www.freewebs.com/dizzydanes
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

thank you so much! i will have to save that on my computer! ,im thinking of rescueing a young one,between 1-3 years old.and i dont care what colour they are,and i dont want one with cropped ears.i love white ones,i dont care if it is Deaf,or Blind,i would take care of any blind,or Deaf dog. ,but if ther arent any,i would like to have a Mantle,or Harliquin.

Danes are wonderful dogs. In general, they're not the brightest breed on the dog tree, but sweet as can be. They can be pretty mellow, once past puppyhood, that is. As Tikeya's Mom implied - they'll eat you out of house and home while they are growing, but settle down once they are grown up. The tail is a lethal weapon - nothing breakable should be put on coffee tables. Establish yourself as the Alpha while they are young and you'll have a great dog forever!

dane

Hello,
    Most dane's are very mello and very lazy lol... I have a fawn great dane Mercedes and she is a couch hog she streches out completly and theres no room for anyone else, but my dog is very protective of me don't know why we got her at 6 weeks of age and ever since she was a pup she will not let anyone come near me if she's in her nervous mood don't know why have tried to break her out of it, but this I don't think is normal for a dane they are usually very well tempered I've heard. Of course I got the wierdo lol hahaha but yeah great choice they are amazing dogs... Her ears are not cropped though. But I love her she is amazing with all my other animals LOVEs my new kitten and my ferret and children also... Only bad thing is their life expectancy... 7-8 yrs

Jodie
    p.s will send better pics they are on other pc
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

thanks for all the info!! i know i have a while still to research these dogs,and it does kind of suck that they can only live up to 8 years.. ,which is sad really.but i love danes and there one of my fav breeds! by the way,Jods,your Dane is gorgeous!