Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone's cat do this?

Does anyone's cat do this?

Does anybody else's cats do this? Pest does in in bowls, on plates, she even did it on a textbook once. She runs like she is on a treadmill, just with her front paws though. Often, it is after she has finished licking something off of a plate that she does this, as if digging for more. But sometimes she will just do it for no apparent reason.
    Oh yeah-- and she usually won't stop running until the plate/bowl is taken away from her.
    ------------------
    Personal servant for Pesto

[This message has been edited by pam_pesto (edited March 26, 2001).]

Pesto,
    Your kitty is burying his/her food for later consumption (even if there isn't anything left or it isn't food ). My Terra-chan does the same thing, she tries to bury the leftover kibble after she's done munching, her favorite toy when she's ready for a nap. Cat's bury things just like dogs do, just saving it for later.

My cat Lianna does that too, even if there is no food left. I always end up taking the plate away from her. She is the only one that does it. Although, Wylie takes his toys and puts them in his food dish. Haven't figured that out yet. Any ideas, other than the fact that he's a crazy kitty.

------------------
    "As we all know, cats now rule the world."
    --John R.F. Breen

...that's funny. My cat Joe only does this when he is not impressed with his food. He has a slightly annoyed expression (the 'ol ears slightly back look) while he obsessively tries to bury it - just like he would other things

Maresche, I have never heard of cats burying food for later. Dogs, yes but then dogs and cats have very different dietry requirements and behavioural patterns. I'm not saying I don't believe you but it would surprise me.

Pest doesn't do this with her food bowls-- she swats at those. She does it with plates or bowls that are around, regardless of whether or not they have, or have ever had food on them. I can get a plate out and put it in front of her to demonstrate to someone, and sure enough she starts to run. It is very strange.
    bookitty1231-- I'm not surprised Lianna does it-- after all, she is Pest's twin pretty much!

------------------

[This message has been edited by pam_pesto (edited February 26, 2001).]

Solomon also does this. After eating, he will attempt to cover his food with air, almost as though he was burying it. He will also paw in a repetitive motion as if he were running on a treadmill on various things that feel different (usually smooth) under his feet, i.e., paper bag, plastic, magazines, etc.

Pam Pesto-

I noticed you have a harness on Pesto. Did she take to it okay? I trained one of my cats on a harness because he always wants to go out, so my son takes him for "walkies" to try and cut down on the times he escapes. It turned out to be a good thing, because he has gotten so big that he's outgrown all my pet taxis, and besides, he is too heavy to try to carry now. So his last two vet visits I just put him on his leash. There's alwasy alot of comments from the waiting pet parents who have never seen a cat on a leash! Of course, if Big wasn't such a docile, good natured cat, this probably wouldn't be a good idea. Do you take Pesto for "walkies"?

Pam,

My favourite cat (unfortunately she went to the rainbow bridge at the age of 18) used to do that to the front of the washing machine (only when it was working though) and on ceiling of the litter box. The funny thing was the spitting image of Pesto...

We got her the harness with every intention of walking her, but as soon as you attach anything to the harness (ie a leash) she freaks out and tries to strangle herself. WE may try again another time, but for now it is winter up here and too cold.
    She didn't like wearing it at first, but I don't think she even cares any more.

------------------

[This message has been edited by pam_pesto (edited March 10, 2001).]

Pam,

I too had a hard time getting Solomon to wear his harness. The books i've read say that you have to take small steps. First, keep the harness near him, not on him, so the kitty gets used to it being around. Then, after a few weeks of knowing its there, you can just lay the harness on top of the kitty whenever you're around - a few times a day. When you finally get around to putting it on the cat, do so loosely and without the leash attached. Let the kitty get used to wearing it for only a few minutes at a time. Then extend the period of time gradually. You have to be patient - Solomon only took to wearing it for about 2 minutes the first time. He eventually got the hang of it. After it stayed on him for a few hours I started putting the leash on, but let him run around the house pulling it behind him. This way he gets used to something being attached to it. Finally, we practiced walking around the house on a leash. Of course, I had to bribe him with treats while saying heal. He is pretty good in the house but gets too excited when we go out to pay any attention to me. He now associates wearing the harness with going outside and puts up absolutely no fuss when I bring it out to put it on. you'll have to be patient but it works!!! Good luck.

Lynette

My cats do this to save their food and on windows , mirrors, and any smooth surfaces.

Lynette-- what you have suggested sounds like a good idea. I think we will probably try it when it starts getting nice enough to take Pest outside

[This message has been edited by pam_pesto (edited March 10, 2001).]

Jazz does that thing with his paws also, but only for human food, which he almost never gets. And he does it around the plate or bowl not on it....I think thats kind of strange. But one of his weirdest things is that if I don't rinse off the dishes, he will hop up into the sink and lick the dirty dishes....then try to do that little dance with his paws around the edges....isn't that strange??

I have friend whose cat always tries to "bury" our coffee. You poor a cup of coffe, he runs over and scrapes all around it. He won't stop until you pick your cup up and keep it.
    Originally posted by pam_pesto:

Does anybody else's cats do this? Pest does in in bowls, on plates, she even did it on a textbook once. She runs like she is on a treadmill, just with her front paws though. Often, it is after she has finished licking something off of a plate that she does this, as if digging for more. But sometimes she will just do it for no apparent reason.
    Oh yeah-- and she usually won't stop running until the plate/bowl is taken away from her.

Pam,
    Boogie does that, but in a different way. When he gets mad, or upset, he will run to the carpet, put his claws out, and scratch. Almost like a he is running on a treadmill. It is funny. I love the picture of Pest, that is hillarious.
    Smare, Boogie's servant
    ------------------------