Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cat vomiting feces???

cat vomiting feces???

Hi all,

I have a 6 year old neutered DSH that I've had since she was a kitten, along with a 4 year old neutered DSH. Well, first the younger one was having a lot of problems with vomiting undigested food. I upgraded to a better brand and it seemed to take care of the problem.
    Now what seems to be happening is the older cat is vomiting about 1-2 nights a week, and it's usually undigested food, sometimes it's a thinner browner liquid, but lately, there's been at least one, sometimes two, pieces of poo in it!! What's going on?
    I have never seen her nosing around the litter box looking for a snack. If she were eating turds from the box, wouldn't she then have litter particles in her vomit?? (There are none.) I'm thinking she has this freaky digestive thing going on, where maybe her colon is reversing and sending the feces back up through her system???

If anyone has any input or advice, I'd love to hear from you. My vet is currently out of town and won't be back until tonight, but I'm curious as heck to see what it could possibly be.

Thanks,
    Kim

Your cat vomiting up whole pieces of food is a sign that he's eating too much too fast. I don't think what you're seeing is poo. It COULD be a hairball.

My cat Shortie has hairball problems. I couldn't figure out why one of my cats was pooping in the middle of my bedroom floor. I happened upon it one night while getting up to go to the bathroom A cold, wet hairball between your toes in the middle of the night is NOT fun!!

It turned out to be a hairball which looks EXATLY like a piece of poo. Next time it happens, and I know this is gross sounding, try to take a closer look (pick it up with a piece of paper towel). A hairball will not be solid like a piece of poo.

I hope this helps.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I have to agree with Moosmom....what you are most likely seeing is a hairball. They look exactly like poo. Tucker, my 18 year old vomits at lest 1 hairball a day and it really does resemble poo.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

probably hairballs!

Dear Kim, I totally agree with "Moosmom." When my cat first vomited up a hairball, I thought it was pooh, too. (And was similarly grossed out by the thought!) But upon closer inspection, it was a hairball. Now I feed my kitty a hairball control cat food (I like the Science Diet Hairball Light, since Leon also has a bit of a weight problem) and give him Laxaire (a lubricant that he licks off my finger, and that helps him pass hairballs more easily) twice a week. And hairballs haven't been a problem since.

I hope that this is just a hairball problem, since it's really easy to fix. If it really is pooh he's vomiting, take him to the vet and let us all know what he/she says!

Best of luck,
    Leonsmom
    Leon's Mommy

Thanks for all the info. I will inspect the pile closer next time (*ugh*) to see if it is indeed a hairball. Is it unusual for such an "old" cat to suddenly develop probs with hairballs? She has never done this sort of thing before. I will look into the hairball control food, I swear these cats will be eating better than I do soon.
    Hopefully the vet will call me back tonite and we'll discuss the situation over the phone. As far as the medicine/lubricant, I've hear that a tsp of olive oil or something like that will do the same thing. Any home remedies anyone swears by?

Thanks again,
    Kim

It does sound like hairballs.

I have both problems with Ripley. He eats too much to fast and throws up and then sometimes he throws up hairballs. The first time I saw one I thought it was poo too but my husband who grew up with cats had to explain. I think they should be called hair logs or something more descriptive. Never are they in a ball form.

Anyway, to help control the hairballs try brushing your cats regularly. We've been brushing Ripley nightly for years now and he rarely has hairballs any more.

Also, could your older cat be grooming and licking on your other cat? That could account for the all the hairballs all of the sudden.

Good luck.

From Decker with Love

I agree with everyone else it's a hair ball and they are gross.
    Regular brushing is a good routine to get into which we try at our house with pretty good success. I also use Cat Lax that I get from the vet. If I'm not sure "who did it" they all get a little strip of lax. Normally it's Thumper who is my barfer and I usually hear her gaging. Eleanor sounds like a seal screaming when she has hairball. First time I heard it I jumped a mile. Such a loud noise coming out of a little girl.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

The younger cat is much more amenable to being combed. She loves it. The older cat however refuses to let me come near her with any kind of grooming implement, whether it's been used on the other cat or not (she is very jealous and possessive, starts growling if I pay any attention at all to the littler one), so brushing her is out of the question. I did catch her digging a hairball from the comb out of the garbage a few days ago, so that may have triggered the sudden hairball-retching. They don't groom themselves that often, but if you pull off the hair for them, they're more than happy to eat it up... gross.

Kim

I dont think that Cats vomit Poo,its either a Hairball,or Stomach lining!Either way,you should see your Vet!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

If it's any comfort, I found what I thought was decreped 'poo' and thought Livvy had some bizarre tummy tumor... Drug her into the vets that very day and had to have it explained to me that it was merely a hair ball. Oh well, at least I added to the some total of humor in the vet's day...
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Thanks to everyone who posted. Just wanted to report back to let everyone know that with hairball-control food and a few doses of KittyMalt (which she hates), Boo is doing much better. Haven't found a single pile yet (knocking on wood).
    It's nice to know there's a community of nice pet-owners like this to help out and dispense advice to silly people like me, who mistake hairballs for poo!

Kim

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    It's funny; some cats love the PetroMalt type stuff and some hate it. Mishi laps it up, Mitzi won't touch it and my RB Goldie wouldn't touch it. Mitzi is having horrible hairballs right now and I'm having quite a time getting her to take her medicine. Poor furry girl!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

RedHedd,
    What I had to do to make my Boo eat it was hold her in my arms and rub about a tsp of the malt stuff on her front paw. Don't just put a gob on there because when she tries to run away, she'll flick it off. I found if I kinda rubbed it in the fur, she had to lick it off before she would walk/move around. I also thought about giving her a little wet food with the stuff hidden in the middle or mixed in. Maybe that would be less "traumatic." Anyways, she hasn't had any hairballs all week! Yay!

Kim

If you find that it is not a hairball... I don't know this for sure about animals but I know ppl can vomit feces it means there is a blockage in the digestive system and usually results in having the pice of the intestine removed that is blocked... Is your cat going to the bathrom okay.. I mean Number 2?? If he/she is then it is probably just a hairball...

edit: nevermind I didn't read the last few that said she was fine now...sorry
    glad to hear though

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

Yes,I agree with everyone it is probably just a hair ball. My cat Cecil gets them too, I just give him some Petromalt twice a week,he loves it.

I would like to say though, that while hair ball pet foods do work I would make sure and get a top quality one if you must use it, because many of them also delete the cat of essetial vitamins and minerals along with the hair balls!! Also to much of the petromalt types of hair ball medication causes diarrea!! So I prefer to skip the special foods and just use a product like Petromalt sparingly.
    That feline fanatic.