Thread: Hundreds Of Cats Dying In Michigan

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?

Hundreds Of Cats Dying In Michigan

Moosmom...how far is this from you? I hope it doesn't hit the shelter you're with.

NewsFlash Home | More Michigan News

Michigan News

Killer cat virus spreading in Saginaw County

The Associated Press
    8/7/2004, 12:22 p.m. ET

SAGINAW, Mich. (AP) — Animal welfare officials say a preventable viral outbreak sweeping Saginaw County is killing hundreds of cats.

From Our Advertiser

The virus, called panleukopenia, likely killed nearly 800 cats this summer, said Mark Wachner, director of the Animal Care Center.

The disease attacks a cat's white blood cells, making the animal more susceptible to other complications and bacterial infections.

"This could be prevented with just normal vaccinations," Wachner told The Saginaw News for a story Saturday. "Cats are among the most neglected domestic animals in the country," adding that they also need regular exams.

Dr. Nancy Frank, acting state veterinarian, said panleukopenia mostly affects kittens because their immune systems aren't strong enough to ward off the disease.

"It usually shows up in animal shelters, where there are a lot of stray cats brought in without their shots," Frank said.

"In a kitten, it can wipe out 98 percent of the cells in a 24-hour period. It's really quick," said Ellen Newton, a veterinarian assistant at the center.

Animal health officials are urging pet owners to keep cats indoors.

~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

That is just to darn sad.
    When are people going to learn. Unfortunately probably not in my life time.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Wow! I will have to pass that on to my friends to let them know. That is so scray and sad all at the same time.

The Pet Angel Army,has been getting a Lot Of Cat Recruits,from that area,and from Down South! That is so sad,that there are so many vulnerable Strays Out There!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Isn't this something that most of our kitties are vaccinated against? How awful to read this!!

Originally posted by sirrahbed
    Isn't this something that most of our kitties are vaccinated against? How awful to read this!!
    They should be Deb, but usually people who choose to abandon their cats, don't bother with the important things like FVRCP vaccinations, and altering. That's why my house is bursting at the seams, and probably why the two babies were rendered blind. If the mama cat had been vaccinated, and spayed responsibly, these kittens would probably have been fine.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

What a terrible thing!!!

Same has happened two weeks ago in a shelter in Oregon. Another panleukopenia outbreak. A friend of mine has gotten two cats from there, they both got sick. Days later they have closed the shelter for disinfection and all the kitties have been killed!

Kirsten

Jan,

Panleukopenia, medical term for Feline Distemper, is more fatal to kittens than older cats because of the kitten's immune system hasn't been fully developed yet. It can stay airborne for up to one year. Older cats can and are immunized against it.

I know only too well how devastating Distemper can be. Saginaw is somewhere North of where I am (I think). Not sure how far, but I sure hope it doesn't come this way.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by moosmom
    Jan,

Panleukopenia, medical term for Feline Distemper, is more fatal to kittens than older cats because of the kitten's immune system hasn't been fully developed yet. It can stay airborne for up to one year. Older cats can and are immunized against it.

I know only too well how devastating Distemper can be. Saginaw is somewhere North of where I am (I think). Not sure how far, but I sure hope it doesn't come this way.
    Donna....that's why I have my Eli, Misty, Noel etc. because of negligent persons who create feral colonies. Their moms all contracted panleuk/distemper while pregnant, but managed to fight the virus off, and deliver brain damaged kittens. With the way a cat's uterus is set up however, not all the kittens are affected. Depends on the gestation period, etc. Sometimes entire litters will be affected. I've had panleuk/ hit here a few times, and it really sucks! (They can say that word on The Simpsons). And I'm guessing they may be referring to strays, abandoned, and ferals that have bit dying in Saginaw. I know around here many people can't be bothered vaccinatinf, let alone spaying an animal. That's why my headcount so far this year has been only 220.
    Author Unknown ~*~

Saginaw is on Lake Michigan. I used to stop there on my way to mom's farm in Cadilac MI. The area I saw was very upscale. I was surprised to see this story- upscale, dumpy and povery ridden, doesn't matter- there are animals not properly taken care of in all social ranks!

Viruses are very bad.. that is so sad..